Kyrgyzstan Ibex Hunt Travel Help

buzzy

WKR
I have an upcoming Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan and my return flight was cancelled. Due to me upgrading an economy ticket to business Turkish airlines has been a huge pain in the rear to get a return flight. As of now, I'm still working the flight home, it appears I will have to spend an extra day in Bishkek before returning home. Does anyone have suggestions on things to see or places to visit since I'll have the time on my hands?

The biger question I have is I will be returning thru Istanbul and will have a 24 hour layover there. Turkish airlines does have a great program that puts me up in a hotel and offers a tour of the city for free. My concern is I'll have my rifle and hopefully an Ibex skull and horns. Does anyone know if this will be a problem while in Turkey? I'm guessing I can have the airlines keep all my luggage as checked baggage and not even have to pick it up while I transition thru. Someone told me you have to get special paperwork to transport the rifle but can't find any info on that. I don't want to take the rifle with me to the hotel but want to get my ducks in a row if I have to.

Thanks in advance for the info.

idig4au

WKR
Not the end of the world.

See if you can go to Ala Archa park and take a hike up there, beautiful country. For dinner look at Supara or El Toro. There is not a whole lot to see in Bishkek in my opinion. Don’t be out alone late at night.

if you're bringing trophy back with you, you’ll likely have several days in Bishkek to get the necessary paperwork in order. Do you have a customs broker set up to help you at port of entry upon arrival? Houston is about the only port of entry I would consider flying into with a trophy. Have your customs paperwork filled out ahead of time and send to port of entry prior to arrival as it greatly helps with the process.

With Turkish Air, you need to make a reservation for your rifle prior to departure or you will have issues checking in. Just call customer service once you have a confirmation number. They will ask details of rifle, dimensions of case, weight, amount of ammunition and etc.

in Istanbul, if Turkish air holds your luggage during your layover, then I don’t believe it will be an issue. If you have to pick up your luggage, then you will need to have the Police at the airport store your rifle. You will not be able to take possession of it. It’s a bit of a hassle. I had an interpreter associated with the booking company (Caprinae) come to airport and help me with this, both dropping off and picking up from police.

Lots to see in Istanbul. New airport is not in the city unlike the old location, so not as convenient to travel into the city.

bascott1

WKR
Visit El Toro for sure. All the sightseeing for me was accomplished in about an hour. Not a ton to do there.

Attachments

• 4E3FF43C-EB34-4F91-A402-DEE15C5D785A.jpeg
    4E3FF43C-EB34-4F91-A402-DEE15C5D785A.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 40

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Did you book through a US consultant? If so, I would be calling them to help you. If you have a 24-hour layover Turkish Airlines will most likely short check your luggage in Istanbul. This will be a big problem if you try to collect a rifle without a Turkish weapon permit. To get one you must have a hunting license in order to have a weapon permit issued. This will most likely require you to hire someone, like Caprinae (who are great people, by the way) who can complete the paperwork and buy you a wild boar license (the least expensive option). The cost will be expensive, close to $1,000. You can get a Turkish visa upon arrival at the airport for only $20. I would not risk having a rifle in Turkey without knowing you have a weapon permit, personally.

The safer option is to change your ticket and stay in Bishkek until you can fly home without the extended layover.

JNDEER

WKR
I have an upcoming Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan and my return flight was cancelled. Due to me upgrading an economy ticket to business Turkish airlines has been a huge pain in the rear to get a return flight. As of now, I'm still working the flight home, it appears I will have to spend an extra day in Bishkek before returning home. Does anyone have suggestions on things to see or places to visit since I'll have the time on my hands?

The biger question I have is I will be returning thru Istanbul and will have a 24 hour layover there. Turkish airlines does have a great program that puts me up in a hotel and offers a tour of the city for free. My concern is I'll have my rifle and hopefully an Ibex skull and horns. Does anyone know if this will be a problem while in Turkey? I'm guessing I can have the airlines keep all my luggage as checked baggage and not even have to pick it up while I transition thru. Someone told me you have to get special paperwork to transport the rifle but can't find any info on that. I don't want to take the rifle with me to the hotel but want to get my ducks in a row if I have to.

Thanks in advance for the info.

How did the hunt go?

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
How did the hunt go?
Check out my trip report. Thanks for checking back on it.