KUIU's Best Items

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm debating on getting the guide jacket vs Yukon jacket. It would be essentially used as a shell. I know the Yukon is more expensive but how is it for breathability? Any input appreciated.
Sure you ment guide and not chugach? Or are you thinking the yukon as double duty hard and soft shell? I like my guide jacket. It's one of Kuiu's best. Probably one of the top 3 in softshells.

What time of year are you going to be using it? Both the Yukon and guide do not breath much at all but the Yukon is a bombproof rain jacket killing two birds with one stone.The guide is great if you're not expecting to get caught in wet weather.The guides fit is a little tighter making it more difficult to layer whereas the Yukon has more room.I would go Yukon if you had the money.

I want it to double as a shell. I plan on using it through thick timber as well so I want it to be able to stand up to abuse. I have the Yukon gaiters and they're bombproof.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
4. KUIU pack--I'm going to eat me words here because I have no experience with them. I've just read several comments on this site regarding the pack when you carry >50lbs.

Great response. I've read the same but couldn't pass up the pack for the price, $332 on sale for the 7200. I used it on two trips this year it it works perfect for me. I like the pockets and that you can really crank it down once you drop camp to make it work well for day hikes.

I had 60+ pounds in it while we were hiking water into camp and had no issues.

For the price I would suggest it to anyone, if funds are unlimited or you hike 100 days a year it might be a different story.

Sure you ment guide and not chugach? Or are you thinking the yukon as double duty hard and soft shell? I like my guide jacket. It's one of Kuiu's best. Probably one of the top 3 in softshells.

Not the chugach. I've read that its not quite as durable as the Yukon. I want to get the coat in major brown so I could use it out of season as well.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Not the chugach. I've read that its not quite as durable as the Yukon. I want to get the coat in major brown so I could use it out of season as well.

I do this, exactly as you are suggesting. It's sure breathable, but after using it for a year I have a few nitpicks that you might consider. All in all it's bombproof.
- the cuffs are tiny. They get super constructive when you pile layers under it, and even all the way open I struggle with it. The rubber is really nice, no wear so far and I use the jacket all of the time.
- it's sure breathable, and all of the vent zips help, but for high output activities in the cold, I switched to an unlined soft shell jacket. Way better breathability.
- it's short for winter snow activities (skiing for example), not too bad, but not ideal.

So it is a "1 stop" jacket capable of a lot, and the high collar and face fabric are awesome. Good all around, leaves a little to be desired in the heart of winter. For me at least.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guide's limit for warm weather high activity brush busting for me is about 60 degrees. Thats with only wearing the 125 under it and all the pockets and pit zips open. It would benefit if it was a bit lighter. I have skinny wrists so the tight forearms don't bother me. I'm highly considering making the hood removable. If you read the original kuiu blog the hood really doesn't het in the way as described. My problem with it is it creates a hot box around my neck when the rest of me is fine. It blocks wind well for not having a membrane. I think it was designed with the intention of wearing the superdown under it for cold wind. Having owned too many softshells this one dries faster and repels water the best. You can't justify it to replace a rain jacket but perfect for those foggy misty days.

Great response. I've read the same but couldn't pass up the pack for the price, $332 on sale for the 7200. I used it on two trips this year it it works perfect for me. I like the pockets and that you can really crank it down once you drop camp to make it work well for day hikes.

I had 60+ pounds in it while we were hiking water into camp and had no issues.

For the price I would suggest it to anyone, if funds are unlimited or you hike 100 days a year it might be a different story.

I honestly think the icon pro is bar none the best pack in it's respective price range (especially when on sale). I've got others, and arguably better, but they were far more $$. I've had 90lbs on the 5200 and it handled it like a champ, and about as comfortable as 90# could be..... no complaints. I have a gen 1 icon that worked also, never broke the frame or any of the issues other experienced.... belt wasn't quite as good as the icon-pro's but considering I got the frame and 6000cu/in bag for less than $200 I have no complaints there either.

The only two items I really love are the:

1. Camo Tiburon Pants
2. Solid Attack Pants

Two items I really like besides a few minor complaints are:

1. Guide Jacket (Its cut to short and the hood is not tall enough for my long neck so it pulls on my head).
2. Tiburon Zip T (The sleeves need 4 way stretch and its cut a bit short and boxy).

Everything else I have tried I have not liked enough to keep it long term.

Last edited:

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
My three favorites:
1: Peloton 240 zip hoodie. I've never liked hoodies but this has become my most worn Kuiu item. It is great for chilly days hunting or around town.
2: Bino harness. I would like to compare to AGC. Might have to order one and try it but for the last couple years the Kuiu harness has impressed me.
3: Alpine pants. They are a great pant for the warmer hunts and can go down pretty cold with a single layer under. I like the pockets, vents and especially the knee pads. They have held up better than my attack pants and are the first pant choice unless its going to be below 40 for the whole hunt. They aren't water resistant ( I guess Kuiu finally admitted it!) but with a dose of self applied DWR become an awesome pant.

The gators get good reviews so I just got a set. With the Velcro up the front has anyone had issues with water getting by the Velcro?

Also picked up the peloton 200 gloves and hat as I am a huge fan of the 240 zip up. Very comfy.

LaHunter

WKR
1) Icon Pro 5200 Pack. I've had this since these were available and have been completely happy with it over the past 3 seasons. I've hauled over 100 lbs worth of bone in mule deer / gear for a mile + and it did great. Many training hikes with 70 lbs +/- over the past 3 summers with no issues also. Some (not all) of the negative comments on the Icon Pro packs come from hearsay, not actual field experience, so just be able to filter between fact and b.s. As long as it fits you and you have it adjusted properly, this is a good pack.
2) Attack Pants: These are awesome pants for moderate weather / high activity levels. Vent zips are a great feature.
3) Guide Pants: These are good for when the temps are too cold for the Attack Pants.
4) Guide Jacket: Good combination of warmth with not too much bulk. Sizing is a bit slim vs other jackets of the same size.
5) Just got a Chugach set and some Yukon gaiters, so I can't comment on how I like these yet, but the Chugach fit seems true to size for me.

MattB

WKR
Attack pants, lightest wool 1/2 zip top, bino harness, gaiters.

For really warm weather, the Tiburon pants are really nice.

LightFoot

WKR
The tiburon pants are great and versatile when using wool or synthetic base layer underneath.

I have gotten great use out of the Superdown jacket but had to size up.

Love my ultra merino 145 and 210 shirts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk