KUIU's Best Items

jm1607

WKR
Down Pants, Gaiters, Attack Pants, & Kenai Hoody are solid.. All I currently own are Down Pants and Kenai Hoody..

Everything else is sub-par compared to the other brands IMO

16Bore

WKR
I will say that I'm loving the Ultra 3000 bag on my Outdoorsmans frame.

robtattoo

WKR
Attack pants in the warm, Guide pants in the cold.
All their Merino tops (the 145 long & short sleeves + the 230 ¼ zip)
Guide Jacket/Puffy combo.

The only thing I own that I really don't rate very highly is the 145 merino beanie. I've worn out 2 & won't be buying a third. I'll stick with my First Lite.

FreeRange

WKR
Zip off merino bottoms for the functionality alone. Tiburon pants because no one else makes a pant close to as nice as those for warm weather. And kenai jacket, I never knew I needed one til I tried it and for cold weather hunts nothing works better. Probably the last 3 Kuiu items I own but I am a huge fan of those 3.

Those zip-off base layers are a million dollar idea. Seriously.

Attack pants are quickly becoming my favorite.

Other pieces of gear require more testing....

Run far away from the superdown. Its very warm but the outer shell is very fragile. Run even farther from the Teton set. Run a bit farther away from the packs. I was so close to biting the bullet on one of the packs until a sign from above showed up on my mini feed. It read "Kifaru 15% off". Go with a Kifaru. FL, 1shotgear and sandarchery also have sales going on for first lite. Go with them. Run with FL and run away from KUIU.

Run far away from the superdown. Its very warm but the outer shell is very fragile. Run even farther from the Teton set. Run a bit farther away from the packs. I was so close to biting the bullet on one of the packs until a sign from above showed up on my mini feed. It read "Kifaru 15% off". Go with a Kifaru. FL, 1shotgear and sandarchery also have sales going on for first lite. Go with them. Run with FL and run away from KUIU.

So you were going to buy a pack but didn't, and now you are saying that they are bad packs? Without ever owning one?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
There's very few Kuiu items that are "bad." Definitely some poor execution on some items (ex: early pack frames, 1st gen 2p tents, Alpine pants, first gen tib tops, kenai cut it too trim, random sizing issues, etc). BUT it's a far, far stretch to call the stuff bad quality in my opinion, because they generally do it well. I get the FL, kifaru, whatever other brand allegiance. But I think we need generally tone done the "buy this brand and no other" recommendations that get thrown around on here sometimes. Some brands fit some people better. Just my opinion; take it for what you paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I should also say I'm not directing that at anyone in particular, it's just frustrating seeing the same "do X not Y" discussions all of the time. This thread was "Kuiu's best items" so just wanted to mention that to get things back in track....

IdahoElk

WKR

I really like my Super Down,works great and was never meant to be an outer shell,the Teton pants cant beat for the price and have served me well,also been using the Icon pro for three seasons with no issues and I'm in the woods about 50 days a year with the stuff.
What problems did you have with these items?

I really like my Super Down,works great and was never meant to be an outer shell,the Teton pants cant beat for the price and have served me well,also been using the Icon pro for three seasons with no issues and I'm in the woods about 50 days a year with the stuff.
What problems did you have with these items?

I couldn't agree more regarding the SD stuff, I don't have any experience with the other stuff you mention. For warmth to weight ratio, it's the best stuff I own. Two hooded jackets, a zip tee, and pants, and they all get tons of use.

IdahoElk

WKR
I couldn't agree more regarding the SD stuff, I don't have any experience with the other stuff you mention. For warmth to weight ratio, it's the best stuff I own. Two hooded jackets, a zip tee, and pants, and they all get tons of use.

Ha,me too! just took off my vest after a hike, really like my ziptee and hooded jacket also,so warm and fits nicely under a outer shell.

Ok, I think me being sleep deprived last night and commenting on this thread was a bad idea. I apologize for being a tool. I do want to clarify my comments.

1. The superdown jacket--I did wear it as a shell a few times around camp and I just had to be extra cautious with it due to it being fragile on the outside compared to the FL puffy. However, it was extremely warm when I had it on. So, if you don't wear it as a shell then you'll be fine

2. The Teton shirts--I wore these for 7 days straight without a shower (bad idea). They stunk to high heaven. Which is probably no surprise. I've worn FL the same length and no stink but that's more than likely an unfair comparison

3. KUIU Yukon gaiters--Phenomenal piece. Love these. Highly recommend them

4. KUIU pack--I'm going to eat me words here because I have no experience with them. I've just read several comments on this site regarding the pack when you carry >50lbs.

I'm not going to be one of those guys who bashes the KUIU brand. Everyone fits into a specific brand differently and has a right to love what they want. Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Nice apology!

I love my Superdown pieces and have three seasons on them with no holes or rips in the material. I am careful with them but not obsessive. I'd never use them to bushwhack anyway since it would be too noisy and I'd overheat. When stuffed they fit perfectly in the tube of my Nomad as if by design and weigh nothing.

What other stuff do you own? I'm curious because I have a SD currently, and I just ordered a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, which appears to be a very similar jacket. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

I am very impressed with the 240 Peloton. I wear it a lot. My next purchase from them will be the gators and maybe the Peloton gloves and hat.

I also love the pants. The alpines are perfect for early season and the attacks for late fall work great.

I'm debating on getting the guide jacket vs Yukon jacket. It would be essentially used as a shell. I know the Yukon is more expensive but how is it for breathability? Any input appreciated.

What other stuff do you own? I'm curious because I have a SD currently, and I just ordered a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, which appears to be a very similar jacket. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

I have a couple other down jackets but they aren't really in the same category. I have both a Mountain Hardware and a Patagonia but, they're both warmer and both quite a bit heavier. The outer material of the MH is about the same as on the Kuiu, but it has much more down fill, so warmer and heavier.

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm debating on getting the guide jacket vs Yukon jacket. It would be essentially used as a shell. I know the Yukon is more expensive but how is it for breathability? Any input appreciated.

What time of year are you going to be using it? Both the Yukon and guide do not breath much at all but the Yukon is a bombproof rain jacket killing two birds with one stone.The guide is great if you're not expecting to get caught in wet weather.The guides fit is a little tighter making it more difficult to layer whereas the Yukon has more room.I would go Yukon if you had the money.