Kuiu

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Please set me straight on Kuiu.. Heard some mixed reviews. I've heard that a lot of people really like the stuff but I've also heard that some people have had issues with customer service regarding repairs and that it's not very durable.. Anyone have any insight?

JNDEER

WKR
can you be more specific? like a garment or are you just talking in general?

Their office is 20 minutes from me and I have nothing but good things to say about Kuiu and their C/S.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love my KUIU gear. So far the only problem I have had is with the gaiters and the problem was resolved quickly. Great C/S for me.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I don't really have specifics, I read on a few other forums that some people were having trouble sending gear in to be fixed or replaced. Any issues with the durability of their gear? I'm thinking of putting Kuiu on the Xmas list but would like to know how their gear is first..

jm1607

WKR
Love most of my gear.. In general, I don't think it's as durable as most of my other gear. I think the reason for that is they try so hard to make it as light as possible that the durability suffers a little bit. Customer service has been top notch with me. Price on the merino is hard to beat. The outer and soft shell gear is about on par price wise for high-end hunting gear. If they don't have something in stock, you may not see it for 6 months+. Took close to a year to get my first order of attack pants. I don't like how they moved everything to China or the reasons why they did it, but I guess everybody has done that by now.

Overall excellent gear for an excellent price. Just be careful if it's out of stock.

muleman

WKR
I really like my KUIU. I was an early adopter, actively using it since early 2011. I have attack pants, merino layers, spindrift, guide jacket, and chugach rain wear. I hunt in a lot of thick brush and sharp shale. For me the attack pants and guide jacket are plenty durable. I have put holes in the attack pants when falling and sliding on shale. I would have expected holes in any pants though. I do treat the chugach rain gear a little easier though. So far the chugach has held up without issue.

I am a happy KUIU user and plan on ordering more product as the need arises. As for customer service I have only needed to use it once when a wrong size was shipped to me. They paid shipping both ways and without issue. My only complaint is inventory. Make sure you plan ahead if you plan on going with KUIU.

2rocky

WKR
I own their Chugach raingear from the first release (in Grey which they no longer make) and it is good raingear. I have 3 of the merino t's and they will get worn year round.

I would gladly accept any KUIU as a gift, but I already have lower cost alternatives that do the job in other pieces. When they wear out or fail, I will look at KUIU for sure. I've used their customer service and got a reasonable turn around. No complaints.

Stid2677

WKR
I have been rocking Kuiu since the first release. Have both the Vias an Verde, SD, merino, gaiters, gloves and the Chugach rain gear. Great customer service, only issue I have had was the chest pocket came debonded and they fixed it me for. They had a few bumps in the road when manufacturing was moved, but all that seems to be getting worked out now.

I spend on average 40 plus days in the field each year, so I feel that I use it harder than some.

I would buy more and I do recommend it.

Steve

I'm a big fan of everything except their merino and hats. I fell in love with the tiburon this year. The attacks I have in several colors and they are by far my favorite pair of pants. They will catch and snag on sticker bushes and reep- rod where the tiburon will not. Like the guide pants although I Hardley ever gets cold enough for me to use them. They are not real warm but I run hot. The merinos shrink and are cut small to me. Although I have a 49 inch chest so that could play a part. And the hats... Well they need work although I have not tried the newest hats.

bmart2622

WKR
I own a lot of their gear and am very happy with all of it. I converted from Sitka and Kuiu will remain my go to. The outer layers have been very durable for me. I had to fix my previous pants at least once a year, so far Kuiu still goin strong. I did have one issue with a piece of gear and after one phone call a replacement was at my house 2 days later. Very solid ever evolving company.

am happy with all my t's,gloves,sd t , tiburon shirt needs a little tweaking[lots of threads on this will not elaborate]. just got spindrift jacket. a little big as only size they had , sure hope they bring this back it is great.

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Add me to the list that really likes everything I have purchased except for their merino. Attack pants are one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will be pleased with all the options offered other than demand far outweighs supply at times.

If you still have any doubts and are in the Missoula area let me know and you can look at any of the KUIU items I have. Their customer service has been great on one merino shirt that mysteriously had a bunch of holes appear after I wore it one time. Better price than sitka for comparable items

handwerk

WKR
I've been very happy with the kuiu items I own.... about 10 I guess. My favs are the spindrift jacket and attack pants, I have several of each.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
Been really happy with all my Kuiu gear. It's technically the best quality hunting gear I have had. The Vias pattern is by far my favorite and has worked well for me from the plains of Colorado for antelope and whitetail to the high country for elk.

Through extreme heat, rain and cold, I've been very comfortable.

I did break a snap on my Yukon gators but got not one tear while archery elk hunting all of September.

CS had been great. Just call rather then email for personal service and to expedite your needs.

Rudy

cwoodyt87

FNG
I can only speak on two items - the Merino 185 top and the Spindrift. Spindrift was discontinued, but I absolutely love it. I also love the merino, however there have been issues with recent batches. I received one that smelled like road kill. Kuiu gave me a pre-paid label and had me send it back and replaced it with a brand new one. From what I've read, it's a known issue with a new supplier that I believe has been resolved.

Their customer service has been top notch - looking forward to adding more of their gear to my arsenal.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info guys. It's official, I'm adding the guide series to my Xmas list