Kuiu vs Sitka

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been looking at packable rain gear and insulation(puffy) pants and jackets from both of these companies. Which do y'all prefer or had better luck with?

Both are high quality but I would go with the one that actually cares about public lands. (Sitka)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender

WKR
Or the smaller non force you products on retailers company (Kuiu)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Features, price, etc. are my priority. The brand tag that happens to be attached is what it is after making that decision (I have stuff from kuiu, FL, Sitka, and other outdoor brands and use it all together).

Do you use the items I'm asking about? If so, give me some feedback on them.
I have used both KUIU and SITKA. In lightweight rain gear, I went the KUIU route based on the price point. The products have served me quite well, No rain gear is perfect, well, the ones that are, arent packable type. I dont think you would be disappointed with either.

svivian

WKR
I have both Sitka and kuiu... the fit of kuiu is much better (attack pants, guide jacket and peloton shirts). Sitka seems to be more durable, less fraying (mountain pants, jestream jacket, merino shirts). The merino zip is by far my favorite shirt which i usually wear with my attack pants during archery.

Seems like everyone wants to bring politics into discussions these days. I'm with you N2TRKYS, just answer the question that is asked.

If you care about hunting, you should care about public lands. I used to be a KUIU fanboy but replaced every piece with Sitka or First Lite purely on principle.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have used both KUIU and SITKA. In lightweight rain gear, I went the KUIU route based on the price point. The products have served me quite well, No rain gear is perfect, well, the ones that are, arent packable type. I dont think you would be disappointed with either.

Which model rain gear did you go with?

Tex68w

WKR
I find that Sitka makes a more durable product all around, but fit should play into your selection as well. In a perfect world I'd use FL base layers with Sitka mid-layers and outers, and Arc'teryx rain gear, oh wait, I already do haha.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you care about hunting, you should care about public lands. I used to be a KUIU fanboy but replaced every piece with Sitka or First Lite purely on principle.

For this discussion, let's assume, I'm only interested in the best performing gear in the items I asked about.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I find that Sitka makes a more durable product all around, but fit should play into your selection as well. In a perfect world I'd use FL base layers with Sitka mid-layers and outers, and Arc'teryx rain gear, oh wait, I already do haha.

I like a loose fit in clothing. What did you like about the Arc'teryx rain gear over the others?

Weekender

WKR
Have you used the items I'm asking about? Give feedback on them.

I run Kuiu Yukon and have for 3-4 years it hasn't failed. Seems to breath as good as rain gear can. Technically torray and eVent have highly breathable rain gear. Torray and eVent can be found in other mountain gear.

willidru

WKR
I've been looking at packable rain gear and insulation(puffy) pants and jackets from both of these companies. Which do y'all prefer or had better luck with?

I run the Kuiu and have had good luck with it. I swear there was a old rain gear review on this forum that I read a week ago and now can't find it for the life of me. It was comprehensive for Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Kyrptec ... Might want to shoot a note to an administrator or if someone can find old reviews.

Tex68w

WKR
I like a loose fit in clothing. What did you like about the Arc'teryx rain gear over the others?

I used a lot of their gear during my time in the army and it simply holds up to regular abuse. It's pricy stuff but without a doubt in my mind it's worth it. Lots of choices and it's very lightweight. I use their rain jackets for daily wear and while hunting.

Seems like everyone wants to bring politics into discussions these days. I'm with you N2TRKYS, just answer the question that is asked.

This isn't a political issue at all. If you care about hunting you really owe it to yourself and future generations to get involved.

Yes. I've used the Kuiu lightweight stuff, and some older Sitka stuff. I'm now using first lite because I found it to be most breathable. Sitka was probably the most durable, but it was heavy.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I used a lot of their gear during my time in the army and it simply holds up to regular abuse. It's pricy stuff but without a doubt in my mind it's worth it. Lots of choices and it's very lightweight. I use their rain jackets for daily wear and while hunting.

Thank you for your service. Thank you for the info.

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
Arcteryx certainly is one of 'the' clothing companies in the outdoor world. I use their gear whenever I can find it discounted. I have had pieces from both Sitka (cloudburst pant) and Kuiu (chugach nx jacket) that I have used as my main rain gear for the last 3 or so seasons. Both are excellent pieces and I have no doubt the sitka jacket or the kuiu pants would also be outstanding. I prefer FL bases and sitka/ kuiu outers. I generally see little difference in quality between the brands- I just buy whichever I can find a better price on. Bought the chugach jacket on sale and the cloudburst pants in the bargain cave.