Kuiu Vs Everyone Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKPrice

Banned
I hope the rest of the industry DOES NOT follow Jason. Switching vertical channels to overseas, screwing over the brick and mortar shops
QUOTE]
Kuiu does have a B&M shop in Dixon, CA.

^^^ this has not done me a bit of good in Halsey OR ! let's talk clothing for just a second and then get back to PACKS - NOTHING Kuiu I've bought has fit the same as the last thing I bought - Brick and Mortar or not, the Sitka Gear that I've purchased DIRECT has all fit, Coats, Pants, Shirts, underwear , EVERYTHING's been true to size and if anything begins to come apart I get an apology AND a new piece no questions asked and no shipping charge .... other companies the same for the greater part - Now, I have a new Icon Pro 3200 in the closet that I got for Christmas, I've been wearing it around with about 40 lbs in it, not terrible but I have meatpacks I make and sell on ebay for $125 that are JUST as comfortable with an elk hind quarter in them (and I've done THAT plenty of times) and out of at least 150 sold I've had 2 molle II frames crack (early black Rifleman frames) (MEAT packs) I'm gonna buy a Kifaru pack after wearing a buddy's for just a couple of hours, for MY back it's more comfortable and I've not read of anyone's Kifaru breaking, did I miss that somewhere ? Fair comparison the Kifaru is not that much more expensive IMO (and as far as "politics" go we need another elitist trying to steal our Federal lands as bad as we need the proverbial extra hole)

It sure was quite slimy how Jason did that. I'm interested to watch all this play out. He is lauded as this savant entrepreneur, he is buddy buddy enough with the Trumps to be invited to the inauguration. His business model seems to be in direct contrast to what the President stands for w/regard to protecting American businesses and jobs. Oh what a tangled web we weave...

A better question would be is there a US(not North America) manufacturing facility that could handle kuiu or Stika production?

Unfortunately it's hard to protect something that isn't here. I do hope we see it come back some day. Until then it's hard to cast judgment in my eyes wether it be Kuiu, Sitka, Firstlite etc.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
A better question would be is there a US(not North America) manufacturing facility that could handle kuiu or Stika production?

Unfortunately it's hard to protect something that isn't here. I do hope we see it come back some day. Until then it's hard to cast judgment in my eyes wether it be Kuiu, Sitka, Firstlite etc.

They were handling it fine...until "someone" decided he wanted his profit margin to go WAY up. Kept advertising it all as NA made, and lying and spinning even when guys were posting pictures of the tags showing otherwise.

The dude is consistent. Not the kind of person I want to give my money to no matter how great a deal it is. Others can overlook a lack of integrity and character, I will not.

R_burg

WKR
They were handling it fine...until "someone" decided he wanted his profit margin to go WAY up. Kept advertising it all as NA made, and lying and spinning even when guys were posting pictures of the tags showing otherwise.

The dude is consistent. Not the kind of person I want to give my money to no matter how great a deal it is. Others can overlook a lack of integrity and character, I will not.
IIRC Jason made a post on his blog within a few weeks about the changes being made, and why the supply chain needed altering.

Sure, he should have done it before they started shipping, but IIRC they offered free returns if you bought something during that period and wanted to return it. The company in BC couldn't keep up with the production necessary, so it made way more sense to have Toray handle it. I'm fairly sure outsourcing directly to Toray wasn't significantly cheaper. What lined his pockets was the expansion he was able to do because of it. But thats an assumption, just like your post.

Some of you guys are seriously unrelenting about this. Why is it so important that the world knows you disappove of Jason Hairston and Kuiu?

Sitka is made in China, IMO is very overpriced and not near the quality of a brand like Arcteryx, but they charge just as much... And yet I'm not screaming at the top of my lungs about them in every thread. I don't care if you buy Sitka or not. Honestly... I dont get it.

R_burg

WKR
^^^ this has not done me a bit of good in Halsey OR ! let's talk clothing for just a second and then get back to PACKS - NOTHING Kuiu I've bought has fit the same as the last thing I bought - Brick and Mortar or not, the Sitka Gear that I've purchased DIRECT has all fit, Coats, Pants, Shirts, underwear , EVERYTHING's been true to size and if anything begins to come apart I get an apology AND a new piece no questions asked and no shipping charge .... other companies the same for the greater part - Now, I have a new Icon Pro 3200 in the closet that I got for Christmas, I've been wearing it around with about 40 lbs in it, not terrible but I have meatpacks I make and sell on ebay for $125 that are JUST as comfortable with an elk hind quarter in them (and I've done THAT plenty of times) and out of at least 150 sold I've had 2 molle II frames crack (early black Rifleman frames) (MEAT packs) I'm gonna buy a Kifaru pack after wearing a buddy's for just a couple of hours, for MY back it's more comfortable and I've not read of anyone's Kifaru breaking, did I miss that somewhere ? Fair comparison the Kifaru is not that much more expensive IMO (and as far as "politics" go we need another elitist trying to steal our Federal lands as bad as we need the proverbial extra hole)

Weird, because everything I have bought runs very true to the tag.

Except one base layer. I called them up, they looked through their logs and nobody else had returned anything because of a mis-labeled size. I sent them the measurements so they could confirm on their end it was wrong. It was, so they apologized and paid for shipping back to them and shipping to me on a new shirt.

So, these random stories go both ways. Although your prolific use of CAPS LOCK whenever these topics arise might make your points a little more forcefully. :)

To your point about the Icon Pro packs... my packs have handled ~80 lbs in them so far in training. Do they feel like air on my back? No. But at 40 lbs they feel really, really good, so in my experience "not terrible" is quite the understatement. But again, since this actually pertains to the OP. These are bags that cost, when on sale, 40% of what a Kifaru costs and ~65% of what a SG, MR, etc costs. I dont expect them to be just as good. But as of yet I have found them to do the job. Maybe someday I will step up to a Kifaru, but that isnt happening yet.

As Rosinbag said to me when I contacted him for his opinion (great guy btw, thanks again!): 'No bag feels great with 100 lbs on your back. Anyone saying that is exaggerating.' And he is a huge Kifaru guy (that also respects Kuiu packs for what they are).

Who really cares if someone else wears Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, mountaineering brands, stuff from Costco, etc. It really doesnt affect your life. I dont get the vehement hate. Its one thing to tell your experience. What goes on in these threads is quite another.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I've never used anything KUIU and love my Stone Glacier but for what it is worth, luke moffat, who probably puts more miles in than a lot of us, generally has pretty good things to say about the KUIU packs. I think he even has a review of one of them on the site.

GKPrice

Banned
seems "easier" to come clean AFTER being busted - I could care less what anyone, ANYONE uses for gear or clothes but to defend anyone who is that disingenuous sort of leaves one "hanging in the wind" IMO and MINE counts JUST as much as the next guy's - I wear my Sitka clothing daily, what Kuiu stuff I have too - If there's someone saying the latter wears better or is better quality than the former I call B.S. to that ...

GKPrice

Banned

Except one base layer. I called them up, they looked through their logs and nobody else had returned anything because of a mis-labeled size. I sent them the measurements so they could confirm on their end it was wrong. It was, so they apologized and paid for shipping back to them and shipping to me on a new shirt.

So, these random stories go both ways. Although your prolific use of CAPS LOCK whenever these topics arise might make your points a little more forcefully. :)

To your point about the Icon Pro packs... my packs have handled ~80 lbs in them so far in training. Do they feel like air on my back? No. But at 40 lbs they feel really, really good, so in my experience "not terrible" is quite the understatement. But again, since this actually pertains to the OP. These are bags that cost, when on sale, 40% of what a Kifaru costs and ~65% of what a SG, MR, etc costs. I dont expect them to be just as good. But as of yet I have found them to do the job. Maybe someday I will step up to a Kifaru, but that isnt happening yet.

As Rosinbag said to me when I contacted him for his opinion (great guy btw, thanks again!): 'No bag feels great with 100 lbs on your back. Anyone saying that is exaggerating.' And he is a huge Kifaru guy (that also respects Kuiu packs for what they are).

Who really cares if someone else wears Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, mountaineering brands, stuff from Costco, etc. It really doesnt affect your life. I dont get the vehement hate. Its one thing to tell your experience. What goes on in these threads is quite another.[/QUOTE

I own a lot of Costco stuff ..... they back it or refund for it no questions asked .... so does Sitka (with a smile) I personally think you should buy as much of "that K" brand as you possibly can ....

R_burg

WKR
I own a lot of Costco stuff ..... they back it or refund for it no questions asked .... so does Sitka (with a smile) I personally think you should buy as much of "that K" brand as you possibly can ....

For someone that doesn't care, you are very vehement about making the same point numerous times to make sure you are heard.

I have no allegiance to any of these brands. But I also think rather than discussing the product, these threads are turned into constant bashing over and over, and its doesn't help anyone researching gear on this forum, which is what its supposed to be about.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kuiu pack and have packed out an elk and a deer with it and it did pretty well for the most but it was hard to get a lot of weight on it anything over 80 was impossible. However it has a constant creak that it developed after I packed out my bull last year. I have the 5200 Icon Pro love all the pockets. The reason I stumbled across this thread was because I just bought the Swaro 95 spotter and went to throw it in the spotter pouch and it does not fit. My other Swaro was much smaller. Some people say it is to much glass to pack but I can save my legs a lot with the bigger glass so I made the jump. So my question here is does anyone have a recommendation of a pack with a bigger side pouch for the spotter that is on the side of the pack for easy access? I hunt a lot. Deer and Elk starting in September ending in January. So I need a tough pack a lot of days in the field with a 30 to 40 lb pack. Also want it for day pack/multi day pack. My feeling for the Kuiu is it is a good pack for the price for sure but I find myself needing more pack. Thats said my Kuiu clothing lasts way better than the First Lite stuff I have bought and I like the pattern of the Vias more the pants with the knee pads help crawling in the rocks. Just my preference.

Actually they weren't and where not a US sew house anyway.. EXO went through the same problem for awhile and they aren't a 1/100 of the size of kuiu.

GKPrice

Banned

Who really cares if someone else wears Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, mountaineering brands, stuff from Costco, etc. It really doesnt affect your life. I dont get the vehement hate. Its one thing to tell your experience. What goes on in these threads is quite another.

I'm not sure to call B.S. on, you or the truth from KUIU because fyi, I alone have called and challenged them 3 times on just one item alone and they were unapologetic - My "other" maker's tops are wearing like iron rather than snagging on who-knows-what in numerous places, I'll not seek any further items from their catalogue because imo they are dishonest and elitist in their attitude toward me as "the customer"

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Actually they weren't and where not a US sew house anyway.. EXO went through the same problem for awhile and they aren't a 1/100 of the size of kuiu.

To clarify, he said NA, i.e. North America, not US. Original stuff was cut and sewn in Canada.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm not sure to call B.S. on, you or the truth from KUIU because fyi, I alone have called and challenged them 3 times on just one item alone and they were unapologetic - My "other" maker's tops are wearing like iron rather than snagging on who-knows-what in numerous places, I'll not seek any further items from their catalogue because imo they are dishonest and elitist in their attitude toward me as "the customer"

I've had good and bad experiences with them. Like anything, depends on the person you get on the phone. Sounds like you are talking about merino. It snags. Especially compared to a poly upper.

There's no reason to, "call BS" like your experience with them alone is the only possible outcome. I've had crap service from them too, I get it. But why throw it in someone's face? If you're willing to talk to a stranger like that on here, I could sure see a CS rep not taking the attitude.

GK Price this next bit isn't directed at you, or anyone in particular:
MODS lock this friggen thread please!! Same story as always, Kuiu gets mentioned and boom, it gets ugly. There's all kinds of valid points made, but it amazes me how people treat each other so combatively on here anymore. It sucks there is a record of it. I doubt I'm alone in this regard, and I for one am entirely sick of reading this crap every time I log onto here.....let's get back to gear, etc please.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Guys,

I'm a bit out of the backpacking game these days, but I don't see much love for the Kuiu Icon Pro's around here. Why is that? I had one for a brief time and everything seemed good to go. What was I missing?

Thanks and God bless!

Adam

MT--Adam asked why there is "no love" for the Kuiu packs. His question was answered exactly. They had huge failures, used their customers literally as test dummies, and alienated many potential and then current customers with an egomaniacal attitude towards many of those customers. Also with strait up lying about where the product was made. That's the reason there is a lack of love!

R_burg

WKR

You are very combative.

My story is fact. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I was sharing that I had a different experience, that its not a 'guarantee' you receive horrible service from Kuiu. Of course, I assume your story happened, I have no reason to assume you are being dishonest.

Its strange that you are so vehemently angry at Kuiu that you would assume I am lying. Its apparent I have a lot less into this emotionally than you do.

R_burg

WKR
MT--Adam asked why there is "no love" for the Kuiu packs. His question was answered exactly. They had huge failures, used their customers literally as test dummies, and alienated many potential and then current customers with an egomaniacal attitude towards many of those customers. Also with strait up lying about where the product was made. That's the reason there is a lack of love!

I've seen 5-10 or so documented. Have you seen many more? I would like to see them so I can learn.

Using their customers as testers and letting them have interaction in the development process is part of their direct marketing/crowdsourcing business plan. Whether that is okay with you or not as a consumer, is up to you. I can empathize with why that would turn people off. I would feel the same way if I felt burned by that process.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
It seems everytime a kuiu thread comes up the overseas thing comes up. I realize why people dislike Kuiu for changing production from US to overseas however I always wonder what kind of car or truck those same people drive.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got a Dodge Ram, Dodge Dart, Jeep Patriot, and a Chrysler mini van. The problem is not the overseas manufacturing, the problem is the bait and switch and lying about the whole thing. Some people it bothers, like me, obviously others it doesn't, which is why KUIU is successful in spite of their ethics.

I don't think I can be considered a Kuiu basher, I'd say if you go back and look at every post I've made, I have posted more in this thread than all other mentioned since I have been a member here (plus all other boards I frequent for information sharing) combined. Most of these were for clarification purposes as well. I'm glad there is good competition for all of us to have gear that works in the backcountry, we are light years ahead of even 20 years ago with regard to comfort and performance in our clothing and gear and KUIU is a big part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.