Kuiu Vs Everyone Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
MODS lock this friggen thread please!! Same story as always, Kuiu gets mentioned and boom, it gets ugly. There's all kinds of valid points made, but it amazes me how people treat each other so combatively on here anymore. It sucks there is a record of it. I doubt I'm alone in this regard, and I for one am entirely sick of reading this crap every time I log onto here.....let's get back to gear, etc please.

X2.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Steve O I mean no disrespect but the "bait and switch" thing gets blown out of proportion, in my opinion. They were dumbasses about it by not publicly announcing PRIOR to doing it, but getting everyone on-board and suddenly switching to China under the radar makes an assumption as to their intent. I remember it coming up on he Kuiu forum, guys were like "what the hell." Back in those days the Blog was active and Jason explained the switch from NA. Not sure anyone got "baited."

And they've had some big flops. So has FL, and others. It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pramo

WKR
I own a Kuiu icon bag and frame. For day hunts and going light it's been a very good option. I'm sponsored by Sierra Trading Post, Kuiu 30% off sale, camofire and huntoftheday so I have no gear affiliation. :)

If you go on longer 5+ day backpack hunts there are better options, but if hunting 1-3 miles in and pack 1-2 animals a year it's a good price point option. I've packed elk, deer and bear in mine and it works, last year I packed in 10+ miles into the Uintas with my son and carried most of our gear since he is only 12. We stayed for 5 days and hunted deer and fished and it was NOT the best pack for the job, I would dream of stoneglacier and kifaru at night.

If your hardcore go deep and hunt lots of days out west go with another brand, the pack is what it is, a $300 great value pack when bought on sale but if you can spend and justify at least twice as much there are better packs. It's like comparing a modest 2 wheel drive pick to a burly 4x4, both cost different amounts and serve a different purpose, some people buy the 4x4 and use it as a mall crawler and some need a 4x4 because they use it.

JWW

WKR
I had a Kuiu Ultra 6000 and when it arrived I knew I would destroy the light fabric. It seemed like a well thought out pack, just not right for me and I have heard some bad stories from my friends (not keyboard warriors) about breaking the carbon frame and leaving them in precarious positions. For the same money I bought a new old stock clearance mystery ranch bag and I feel like it will suit my purposes much better.

I hope the rest of the industry DOES NOT follow Jason. Switching vertical channels to overseas, screwing over the brick and mortar shops, making a cheap product that barely works, at a high price. Really, is this what you want? I really hope that you do not.

However, thank god for the Rokslide brain trust to show me all aspects of the hunting world, allowing me to make smart consumer decisions, outside of what is recommended by the sales person. But your comment above really rubbed me the wrong way. I want people to buy more American products and continue our way of life. I still want to be able to try on the clothing, to hold the pack in my hand, to try out the features, not assuming that the internet is correct and then make a faulty purchase decision.

Jason can go **** himself. In his mind, he wants to be the Sam Walton of the hunting world. I for one, do not want to see the hunting world destroyed by the Walmart philosophy.
I know this is old.. But doesnt kifaru operate similarly? I dont own the kuiu pack. I have kifaru and love it. But I am pretty sure kifaru isn't big on retailers either..... Hmmmmm

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Don’t ever compare Kifaru to kuiu. That’s a sin. Patrick Smith is leaps and bounds ahead of Jason in terms of respect, integrity and innovation. FYI 1shot gear carries Kifaru and they’re brick and mortar. Do your homework.

Don’t ever compare Kifaru to kuiu. That’s a sin. Patrick Smith is leaps and bounds ahead of Jason in terms of respect, integrity and innovation. FYI 1shot gear carries Kifaru and they’re brick and mortar. Do your homework.

1ShotGear is no longer a Kifaru retailer since Grant left. Don't know if triple x archery does anymore but they did for a while. No Limits Archery and Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear carry some Kifaru.

That being said, they prefer the straight to consumer model so that they can ensure the customer is getting the right product and a correct fit. Unfortunately yes this means that there is no way to try on a pack before buying, but a counter point is that had you tried on a pack at a retailer the odds are that it wouldn't have been properly adjusted for you anyways so why bother. Kifaru also has many non-standard options available to them that they can utilize once they see your answers to the dimensions and will give you a call if they think something better will work for you (a 28" frame for example can't be ordered on the site but is definitely available).

Last edited:
fa4a5ac256e9cdf946e93279756df102.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Calm down preacher. I said nothing about Patrick. I also said nothing in terms of "respect, integrity, and innovation"

I know about 1shot gear, bought a megatarp there. I also know about xxx archery in oregon. Wow. 2 places? Oregon and Colorado. Anywhere else?? It isn't as though I can easily get my hands on these products before trying. And that was the point.

I like my kifaru products. I am getting sick of the kifaru cult.

1ShotGear is no longer a Kifaru retailer since Grant left. Don't know if triple x archery does anymore but they did for a while. No Limits Archery and Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear carry some Kifaru.

That being said, they prefer the straight to consumer model so that they can ensure the customer is getting the right product and a correct fit. Unfortunately yes this means that there is no way to try on a pack before buying, but a counter point is that had you tried on a pack at a retailer the odds are that it wouldn't have been properly adjusted for you anyways so why bother. Kifaru also has many non-standard options available to them that they can utilize once they see your answers to the dimensions and will give you a call if they think something better will work for you (a 28" frame for example can't be ordered on the site but is definitely available).
Yeah, no one needs to explain the benefits to me. Half of my gear is from them and I love it. The point is that there isn't, or doesnt seem to be a whole lot of separation in terms of the RETAIL aspect. So I think that is a weak point in the argument I original responded to, where the dude was bitching about the retail model of kuiu. Reaching for straws.

I dont have much experience with kuiu. So, as an outsider trying to learn about gear that I havent used yet and just reading peoples reasoning, its laughable.

I think Kifaru has such a strong following because the products they develop are superior to others. You're right, Kifaru doesn't sell much in brick and mortar stores anymore. I think one of the big differences between kuiu and kifaru is the customer service. KUIU has crap CS for the most part and Kifaru is crazy attentive. The whole pack argument (which you didn't bring up) is laughable. Individuals just need to save a bit more and get the benz of the packs instead of the geo metro.

I think Kifaru has such a strong following because the products they develop are superior to others. You're right, Kifaru doesn't sell much in brick and mortar stores anymore. I think one of the big differences between kuiu and kifaru is the customer service. KUIU has crap CS for the most part and Kifaru is crazy attentive. The whole pack argument (which you didn't bring up) is laughable. Individuals just need to save a bit more and get the benz of the packs instead of the geo metro.
I tried kifaru as the first of the "high end packs" that usually are discussed here, due to the reputation and hating all other cheaper packs I had tried. So far, it carries outstandingly, and I since have bought other things from them. I dont know how it compares to SO, SG, MR, or Exo, because I went straight from lots of shitty cheap packs, to kifaru.

I made one comment about the retail model between kuiu and kifaru being similiar, and nothing else. Now kifaru disciples are rushing in like I have insulted their nearest and dearest. Why on earth would I mention the packs in my original comment? It had nothing to do with whats being sold, rather how it is sold.

Note to self.... Never resurrect an old kuiu thread! :)

IdahoElk

WKR
I think one of the big differences between kuiu and kifaru is the customer service. KUIU has crap CS for the most part and Kifaru is crazy attentive. The whole pack argument (which you didn't bring up) is laughable. Individuals just need to save a bit more and get the benz of the packs instead of the geo metro.

Wrong

Dusty2426

WKR
So if a hunter was to wear kuiu clothes, exo pack and sleep in a kifaru shelter but doesn’t do crossfit or dip Copenhagen do they still get to be in the cult? Asking for a friend. Maybe a least get to wear a flat bill hat backwards

strand

Lil-Rokslider
So if a hunter was to wear kuiu clothes, exo pack and sleep in a kifaru shelter but doesn’t do crossfit or dip Copenhagen do they still get to be in the cult? Asking for a friend. Maybe a least get to wear a flat bill hat backwards

Gotta put a kifaru sticker on your subaru and hashtag kifarulife at least twice a week on all your social media platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.