Kuiu Vs Everyone Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

twall13

WKR
Sitka makes some decent looking packs but on their website media, they have several of their sponsored hunters/testers or whatever you want to call em', wearing Mystery Ranch packs.

I know absolutely nothing about Sitka packs but it's hard to ignore the fact that Randy Newberg (Sitka sponsored) uses Mystery Ranch packs. His good buddy Corey Jacobson (also Sitka sponsored) uses an Exo pack.

Last edited:

Tsnider

WKR
i had thought about getting a KUIU pack at one point. ran into another hunter in the woods this year and he had one and i was checking his gear out while we were talking. didnt look much better than the 250$ slumberjack pack i was using. now i got a kifaru and theres nothing i see on it that makes me question it or assume its anything other than top shelf gear.

The way I look at Kuiu packs is that they are built to a lower price point. I paid $325 for an Icon Pro 3200 and over $400 for just my Kifaru frame.

GKPrice

Banned
The way I look at Kuiu packs is that they are built to a lower price point. I paid $325 for an Icon Pro 3200 and over $400 for just my Kifaru frame.

It's kind of like a questionable rifle scope, a "great" warranty doesn't do much good when you're sitting in camp the evening that you missed the buck of a lifetime and you have 5 days and an unfilled tag left in the hunt - what do you do ? call the company you bought it from and have them rush you another ??whatever?? - I've completed 4/5 of a grueling meat haul with an elk hind quarter over my shoulder because the POS pack I was using broke, NOT WHAT I CALL PART A FUN DAY ..... That's why I try to pay attention to what others experiences are and what has worked, or not, "as advertised" - YOU do what you think is "smart" though .....

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a KUIU pro frame with either a 3000 or 6000 bag for three years. It's been a great pack and so far it's packed out two bull moose and two bull elk and I never felt like I needed more pack.

Tex68w look up Jason Hairston on google. Click where its talked about on rokslide. Its a very interesting read. Furthermore, Don't waste your time and money on a KUIU pack. Never have personally used one but have read plenty about the quality of them. Look no further than kifaru. Just buy one. It may sting temporarily but it will be worth it in the end.

Tex68w

WKR
Tex68w look up Jason Hairston on google. Click where its talked about on rokslide. Its a very interesting read. Furthermore, Don't waste your time and money on a KUIU pack. Never have personally used one but have read plenty about the quality of them. Look no further than kifaru. Just buy one. It may sting temporarily but it will be worth it in the end.

I'll bust out my Googlefu and give the subject a look. I'm not the OP, I already have a quality pack, (well it's on its way as we speak) I went with a Stone Glacier.

MattB

WKR
Most of my clothing is Kuiu and I really like it. My backpacks for the past ~15 years have been made by Kifaru and I do not see that changing.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've used MR, have a Stone Glacier and have used a Kuiu. I have packed meat and weight with all of them. I would agree the Kuiu isn't built at the same level of durability. Lighter hardware, webbing, etc.

But....this whole idea that the Kuiu pack can't hack it (I'm talking latest gen frame) is an overblown sentiment that is continually perpetuated on this forum. I hope everyone talking it down has actually used it, because of you haven't put it through the paces in the field and are repeating what everyone else says about it, that isn't helping anyone. Totally agree you could destroy the Kuiu system using it all of the time as shown in this thread (thanks to all that reported failures of the system, it should be told because it shows a lack of good Development time on Kuiu's part). But it's certainly going to beat out a lot of packs up until you reach the $500 crowd.

My SG crushes the Kuiu system. For me. Not my buddy, as he won't pay $650 for a pack.

I've been guilty of the same exact thing I'm talking about in the past, not trying call anyone out or be an ass just because we're on a forum - I just feel compelled to mention this because I feel like I read it constantly on Rokslide these days.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russp17

WKR
Kuiu makes awesome rain gear and hunting pants, but their packs stink.

I would agree they make decent hunting clothes but after owning a pack I will never own another one. The frame and bag on my 6000 ultra broke on my first hunt. Replaced it with a stone glacier and I have not looked back. The SG has packed, a dall sheep, two goats, one black bear, a moose, and multiple caribou without issue. Spend the money on a quality pack and don't look back.

Trial153

WKR
Ok, here is my take on KUIU icon pros. I have a 1850 that I used this season as day pack/ meat hauler. I used it on only two hunts this year and I packed out a good potion of two moose and a mule deer with it, right now shows no worse for wear. It's doesn't carry a load near as well as my MR, however it is about half the weight of my MR and was half the price. It is not my first choice in packs however it does have an application for me, or it least it did while I still own it.
Further more i think sometimes we have to come at things from other peoples perspective. While I might have the disposable income to drop 500 plus on pack without much care or thought someone else might not. And to add to it they might not have the need. For a guy that might use a pack 7 -10 days a year for several years at most( if they are lucky) a pack like the icon pro might last them 10 years. And others of us can blow it out in two with our frequency our use and habits.
It helps for us to recognize the audience we are giving advice.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I would just like to point out that this thread is mainly about KUIU and its been damn civil.
Way to go sliders!

Randy

Clarktar

WKR
Kuiu sucks! Burn it all or mail it to me and I will take care of it 😀

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.