Kuiu Sale

Which ones?
Are they tight around the calf part of the boot, or lots of room?
The original one, which is the Yukon. I get the medium because I have a small calf. You have much larger calves. Looks like they have free size exchanges if you don't get the right one.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
The original one, which is the Yukon. I get the medium because I have a small calf. You have much larger calves. Looks like they have free size exchanges if you don't get the right one.

We did the size exchange with the bird vest and it was pretty easy. I haven't read through their policy on returns yet though. I had a big and a medium pair of the gaiters I like so I had somethign to fit over my pac boots, but shredded the calf strap last year and Chris fixed it up. There's a debate on if he still has it or I lost it currently...

I have the shorty Kuiu ones they discontinued, and some tight fitting mid calf ones I like, but nothing that will fit over my pac boots unless I find the lost pair.

I’ve been watching for a new everyday down jacket and held out to see what this sale had to offer. Eddie Bauer has down jackets with the same fill weight for more than 50% less than the similar ones Kuiu has on sale. Just an FYI for those looking.

Rabbit46

FNG
Is $299 a good price for yukon jacket?
$299 is the lowest price I have seen this jacket marked down to in the past. I had been waiting for it to go on sale again. Kuiu hasn’t discounted this jacket on any of their recent sales.

If you are thinking about it. I would grab it. It may be a while before it goes on sale again.

I’ve been watching for a new everyday down jacket and held out to see what this sale had to offer. Eddie Bauer has down jackets with the same fill weight for more than 50% less than the similar ones Kuiu has on sale. Just an FYI for those looking.
Which Eddie Bauer model Is comparable? Maybe a cheap one but never really see One with heavy fill from EB around the same weight with treated down.

Decathlon forclaz mt500 or mt100 I think are good shouts though for those on a budget. Both are pretty highly rated in backpacking forums for budget options

Mojave

WKR
I bought a brown sanctuary pants and verde jacket. I thought the brown jacket looked elk colored and I didn't want to get shot wearing it.

Will use it on German drive hunts with an orange vest and on whitetail/mule deer hunts on my cousins family ranch sitting in a box blind.

I think I got a hat too and gloves.

Some gators and maybe a t-shirt.

Was a good sale. I am a Diamond club guy, so it was a good sale for me. $600pushed my Diamond to October. of 2025. They will get me on Black Friday for something small, and I'll buy some more crap for my birthday I don't need on that coupon.

Which Eddie Bauer model Is comparable? Maybe a cheap one but never really see One with heavy fill from EB around the same weight with treated down
As I said, I’m looking for an everyday jacket. I don’t need to spend an extra $200 on treated down to wear to church/work/xc ski/ice fishing/store. There are several 650 fill currently on EB website for under $100 and 800 fill for under $200.

Several years ago the founder of Kuiu was doing an interview and they asked him about venturing out of sheep hunting specific clothing to offer whitetail/waterfowl/etc stuff. He said there is no need to because all that gear is already being made for cheaper and at good quality and he was going to stick to their niche. I guess whoever took the show over never got that memo.

I’d guess 95% of people walking around in a $500 treated down Kuiu jacket will never be in a position where wetting out is even a concern. Probably 80% will never put it in a backpack on a hunt that isn’t coming back nightly to a cabin/house or tent with a wood stove.

My brother got his sheep a couple years ago in an REI down jacket. It rained 7/8 days. My wife shot her moose in a Costco down jacket last month. Rained 6/7 days. I know, it’s hard to believe such an accomplishment could be possible without forking out $1000 for a set of treated down tops and bottoms.

I can appreciate hydrophobic down - I own a synthetic puffy jacket and hydrophobic down vest specifically for August/September backpack hunting in AK when it rains 20+ days a month. But the vast majority of people convincing themselves and their wives it’s a must have are just victims of marketing.

Last edited:
As I said, I’m looking for an everyday jacket. I don’t need to spend an extra $200 on treated down to wear to church/work/xc ski/ice fishing/store. There are several 650 fill currently on EB website for under $100 and 800 fill for under $200.

Several years ago the founder of Kuiu was doing an interview and they asked him about venturing out of sheep hunting specific clothing to offer whitetail/waterfowl/etc stuff. He said there is no need to because all that gear is already being made for cheaper and at good quality and he was going to stick to their niche. I guess whoever took the show over never got that memo.

I’d guess 95% of people walking around in a $500 treated down Kuiu jacket will never be in a position where wetting out is even a concern. Probably 80% will never put it in a backpack on a hunt that isn’t coming back nightly to a cabin/house or tent with a wood stove.

My brother got his sheep a couple years ago in an REI down jacket. It rained 7/8 days. My wife shot her moose in a Costco down jacket last month. Rained 6/7 days. I know, it’s hard to believe such an accomplishment could be possible without forking out $1000 for a set of treated down tops and bottoms.

I can appreciate hydrophobic down - I own a synthetic puffy jacket and hydrophobic down vest specifically for August/September backpack hunting in AK when it rains 20+ days a month. But the vast majority of people convincing themselves and their wives it’s a must have are just victims of marketing.
Fair enough, excellent points. For synthetic insulation I just use those 20$ puffy 32 degrees jackets but for down I'm apt to splurge a little more. But definitely not kuiu prices