Kuiu Proximity Review

I'm a size 30 waist. With Kuiu I have to buy size 32 and have the waist taken in. Other wise their pants are too tight on my upper legs.

Do you think the Proximity pants are roomy enough by design for me to buy true waist size? I guess with the suspenders I could stick with 32...

I'd like to grab a pair of these for Kansas next week.

Dirtbag

WKR
Awesome review. How is the flexibility in the pant? did you notice climbing your tree steps to be harder while wearing them?

Recluse

FNG
Good review. As someone who owns pretty much every model of Sitka, I can say I love the Proximity.

It's lighter than the Fanatic by a long shot and more comfortable, though not as warm. I have the Sitka Incinerator system for when things get into the teens.

The Proximity is my rut camo here on out. One thing I really think is above Sitka is the pocket layout. They just seem better angled/more secure.

My only wish is that it had a built in face mask.

Recluse

FNG
Awesome review. How is the flexibility in the pant? did you notice climbing your tree steps to be harder while wearing them?
I have a LWCG .75 and 14" double steps with aiders. I'm 6'1, 180lbs. I really stretched out my sticks last week and got to almost 20'. Walking up was no different than wearing early season pants.

TheTone

WKR
This stuff really looks good to me. I’m interested to see how the fleece is when it’s out.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Only complaint is that I’ve only seen 2 deer. Love proximity stuff though!

RAPTOR

WKR
I'm a size 30 waist. With Kuiu I have to buy size 32 and have the waist taken in. Other wise their pants are too tight on my upper legs.

Do you think the Proximity pants are roomy enough by design for me to buy true waist size? I guess with the suspenders I could stick with 32...

I'd like to grab a pair of these for Kansas next week.
I think so. I wear a 33, so bought a 34. They were roomy enough to layer under for sure.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
If anybody wants to bail on their L jacket, I am your huckleberry. The fact that it does ok in that warmer weather is making me a little more interested based on what I'm looking for. Thanks for the review OP

I really would like to hear how loud the bibs are on seat material….do these make a lot of noise when you are slouching and push yourself up. I really need something a little thicker than fhe stratus bibs but not as heavy as the fanatic set.

Also, these have room for layers under correct?

OMB

WKR
I wore the jacket over the weekend for a morning sit in 40 degree temps. Only worry a Pro Merino 200 underneath because I knew temps would be rising. I was pretty impressed with warmth and how quiet it is. Pocket layout is great. Can't wait to evaluate under colder temperatures, but I think Kuiu knocked it out of the park for their first whitetail dedicated piece. Plenty of room for layering something like a Kenai jacket or super down vest underneath, and I like how they cut it a bit long to actually cover my back when I'm sitting. Most likely ordering the bottoms before it gets too much colder.

So I finally had a weekend of awful weather to test out the jacket, most of the time I spent in the tree Saturday around 20 degrees, with 10-15 MPH winds and blowing snow/sleet. On top I wore a 200 Merino, Kenai jacket, and Proximity jacket, and bottoms were 145 Merino under Guide pants. Tossed handwarmers in side pockets on the pants and handwarmers in the jacket pockets. I was comfortable over the entire 5 hour morning sit, to the point I'm now ordering the bottoms. It's nice to be able to open the pit zips on two layers for the walk in. If I was going to sit the entire day, I probably would have tossed on down pants and been totally fine.

Going to be hunting in similar weather next weekend for sure, and probably the next 3 as gun seasons start up, and for all day sits, will most likely add a down vest under the Kenai or swap out the Kenai for a 260 fleece.

I'm impressed with how well they nailed this, can't wait to see what else they do in the whitetail space, as I'm not planning on buying any Sitka/FL.

I’m anxious to see how low this will go with my Pnuma Heated vest…

I’m currently using the gen 1 FL sanctuary parka /bibs and looking to move to something more wind resistant and hopefully less bulky to pack. Was thinking I might do the fanatic and count on heated vest to make up the insulation difference from the sanctuary. Seem reasonable?

Was hoping the proximity could serve that purpose but seems like it might not quite be warm enough for late season northern mn or ND sits.

JDB9818

WKR
I ordered and received my Proximity jacket and pants just prior to leaving for Kansas 2 weeks ago.

The weather was unseasonably warm and ridiculously windy for the first several days, then changed to very cold and "breezy" for the last few. I felt like I got a pretty good overall feel for the set based on the different conditions.

Overall impressed with the set. If you are looking for absolute "wind proof" then you might be disappointed. If you are ok with nearly wind proof then you'll be happy. I get cold very easily and I am pretty sensitive to the cold wind specifically. I feel the Proximity did a overall excellent job with reducing the felt wind and I stayed warm.

I am admittedly a Kuiu fan. I have A LOT of different pieces and I was able to layer accordingly in order to stay warm and not feel like a big blimp. I also get cold very easily but I felt the Proximity kept me warm when properly layered (light base layer, light to medium mid layer, and my Spindrift on the coldest days).

I swapped my Sitka Fanatic set for this one, so I do have some experience with other cold weather gear. The Fanatic set is warmer overall, but the proximity is easier to move in and probably better overall when you need something to cover a wider range of conditions. If I were just hunting those coldest times of the year then I would probably stick with the Fanatic or Incinerator line. But, if you are hunting late October into November then I think the Proximity is right there.

Overall very impressed for Kuiu's first go at a dedicated tree stand / blind line of clothing. I'll be interested to see what they continue to add to it over time.

TerryB

FNG
I also tried out the proximity pants this opening gun season weather was around 20 winds 15-20 light snow every now and then even a white out once fit was good loved all the pockets did put warmers in them stayed ok warm all day in stand , on Sunday different story 12 degrees winds 10 got cold very to early in stand underneath = base , thermal , and my go to denim

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a chance to use mine in some cooler temps they did pretty good in 40 with a peloton 118 short and long sleeve plus the first Lite furnace under it up top had the sitka Light weight base on the bottom under it was not cold but not sure I can take it much lower without a few more layers under it. I do run cold but any colder and I will use my fanatic set. I like the pockets in the pants and the top but I do wish they had the pocket like the fanatic jacket it makes it easier to range with the bow in my hand and just drop it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-TRAIN

WKR
Maybe I am the odd ball, or I just have a bum pair of sitka fanatic bibs, by my kuiu proximity bibs are defiantly thicker and warmer than my fanatic bibs. No mine are not the fanatic lite.
I did used to have a pair of the old forest camo fanatic bibs, and they were defiantly warmer than my newer fanatic bibs. Maybe they have improved the fanatic bibs some since I got my newer ones, I have had these 4 years maybe.

The proximity bibs to me almost feel like you are wearing a kenai jacket on your lower body, that has a fleece layer over top of it. It seems to me it holds in body heat better than the fanatic bibs and keeps you warmer.

I don't have the jacket, but I did get the new wind fleece one that just came out a week ago.
I like that, I have worn that once, with a vest over it and was fine but it didn't to cold, low 40's.

The reviews seem to be all over as far as wind goes, one person says they can blow thru it, another sticks arm out window going 70mph and feels nothing. lol
I have been really impressed with the pants, I defiantly like mine better than my fanatic bibs, and for the money they seem like a no brainer compared to the fanatic bibs.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
That’s funny how we all think differently but are you saying you have the fanatic light bibs currently? If so that’s makes since I have the newest fanatic bibs and jacket and the kuiu stuff isn’t close for me in warmth or thickness but that’s just me also my fanatic is 100% wind proof I have stuck my arm out a window before not doing 70 maybe 50 and nothing gets through. The kuiu does do pretty good in the wind and I also love the bottoms pretty versatile piece. How does that new wind fleece do as far as blocking wind I also wanted to get that to try out… also I would say the newest fanatic Sitka released was warmer then the older set I had that set as well and the newer is much warmer at least to me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk