Kuiu Pro Bush Pants - First Impressions

Just received my Kuiu Pro Bush pants and here are some first impressions.

My package came in less than pristine shape which wound up being a great opportunity to see how it handles slices. Package came delivered with a slice through the outer package and the Kuiu product package. Zero damage or marks on the pants.

Slice_Pant_View.png Slice_Close_Up.png

Initial Assessment: Appears to be cut-resistant (to some degree) at a minimum (no further planned testing will be performed).

Fit
Same fit on me as my Attacks, Pro, and Kutanas so I am happy.

Color
Close to my Ash-colored Kutanas. Inside the house the color is more green-ish; in sunlight is becomes more brown-ish. Pro Bush on the left and Kutana on the right.
Color_Comparison.png

Noise Level
  • iPhone App: NIOSH SLM
  • 10 rubs of pant legs 2” above phone microphone
  • Take highest dB reading

Attack (used): Highest 59.0 dB
Kutana (heavily used): 65.1 dB
Pro Brush (brand new and unwashed): 76.1 dB

Initial Assessment: Likely not going to be a hit with the archery hunters. May quiet down after use and washes.

Fit
Same fit on me as my Attacks, Pro, and Kutanas.

Random Observations
* Suspenders - No idea why Kuiu decided to include suspenders with these pants. Mine will be going in a drawer until I become enlightened.
* Boot Lace Hook - Should not hurt but I've never had my pants creep up my legs far enough to warrant the need to worry about it. Will be interesting to see if they incorporate this on all of their pants or if this feature is only required in a desert environment.

Remaining Questions
  1. How will they do in the heat? Four vents will be nice; will see how they are when walking. Material is more like Kutana than Attack or Pro (feel and thickness) so that looks promising. Have to wait until June-August to get a true feel for how they do in central AZ heat.
  2. How do they do with thorns? Still need to test this out. With spring bear a few weeks out they'll get some field time soon enough.

ChrisAU

WKR
Solid review so far. I jumped on some as well but don’t have that. Kutanas have been my go to for 100% of hunting for 3 years now. Excited to have some extra venting and more abrasion/briar resistance. Should be the bees knees for upland bird and whitetail hunting IMO.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Mine should be here Friday, I’m looking forward to getting my hands on them.

Current upland pants were pretty long in the tooth so I was in the market for a replacement. Was planning on going with Orvis until I saw the email releasing these. Now the painful wait until fall to chase pheasants…

TSAMP

WKR
Nice review. Your comment on fit has me wondering though. Owning all 3 of those other kuiu pants mentioned myself. I find their individual fit varying. So I'm still left wondering about the brush pros specific fit.

You say similar to attacks, so I'd imagine a more generous lower leg as compared to kutanas?

pirogue

WKR
Well, is that it? Fit, color, and size was never a question. Noise I expected for that type of clothing. You’ve got AZ in your handle. Tell us how it handles walking through the prickly pear.

OP
A
Nice review. Your comment on fit has me wondering though. Owning all 3 of those other kuiu pants mentioned myself. I find their individual fit varying. So I'm still left wondering about the brush pros specific fit.

You say similar to attacks, so I'd imagine a more generous lower leg as compared to kutanas?
Will take a look in the AM to see if there is a difference. For me, the three pants mentioned all fit the same (or close enough that I am unaware of a difference).

OP
A
Well, is that it? Fit, color, and size was never a question. Noise I expected for that type of clothing. You’ve got AZ in your handle. Tell us how it handles walking through the prickly pear.
That'll be coming up soon enough.

Just received my Kuiu Pro Bush pants and here are some first impressions.

My package came in less than pristine shape which wound up being a great opportunity to see how it handles slices. Package came delivered with a slice through the outer package and the Kuiu product package. Zero damage or marks on the pants.

View attachment 527315 View attachment 527316

Initial Assessment: Appears to be cut-resistant (to some degree) at a minimum (no further planned testing will be performed).

Fit
Same fit on me as my Attacks, Pro, and Kutanas so I am happy.

Color
Close to my Ash-colored Kutanas. Inside the house the color is more green-ish; in sunlight is becomes more brown-ish. Pro Bush on the left and Kutana on the right.
View attachment 527318

Noise Level
  • iPhone App: NIOSH SLM
  • 10 rubs of pant legs 2” above phone microphone
  • Take highest dB reading

Attack (used): Highest 59.0 dB
Kutana (heavily used): 65.1 dB
Pro Brush (brand new and unwashed): 76.1 dB

Initial Assessment: Likely not going to be a hit with the archery hunters. May quiet down after use and washes.

Fit
Same fit on me as my Attacks, Pro, and Kutanas.

Random Observations
* Suspenders - No idea why Kuiu decided to include suspenders with these pants. Mine will be going in a drawer until I become enlightened.
* Boot Lace Hook - Should not hurt but I've never had my pants creep up my legs far enough to warrant the need to worry about it. Will be interesting to see if they incorporate this on all of their pants or if this feature is only required in a desert environment.

Remaining Questions
  1. How will they do in the heat? Four vents will be nice; will see how they are when walking. Material is more like Kutana than Attack or Pro (feel and thickness) so that looks promising. Have to wait until June-August to get a true feel for how they do in central AZ heat.
  2. How do they do with thorns? Still need to test this out. With spring bear a few weeks out they'll get some field time soon enough.
Whats your height/weight and what size pant are you running with kuiu? I’m a 32-33 waist in most pants 5’11” 210 and have sent back a few of Kiki’s pants cause I can’t find the right fit.

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m impressed so far. Light, nice stretch, not as skinny jean feeling as kutanas. These are 4 way stretch vs kutanas 2 way so they have more freedom of movement, dont feel as confining. If the panels hold up to Arizonas fauna they’ll see much use for bear, upland, scouting and shed hunting. These wont replace my kutanas but definitely prolong their life. Yes, archers would probably find the brush panels too noisy. Suspenders not my thing but the option is nice.

Last edited:
I just picked up a pair in the store, and had the opportunity to compare with all pants in the line. I was hoping for a lighter weight pant with a thicker/stiffer brush panel but these are basically Attack pants with inside vents and lace hooks (and suspenders?). Same brushed-ish material inside but a bit different feel on the outside brush section. These are not stiff brush pants at all, flex just like the Attacks.

Fit - I actually sized down, I usually wear 34 regular but went 32 regular as I was swimming in the 34’s.

Kindo

WKR
I just picked up a pair in the store, and had the opportunity to compare with all pants in the line. I was hoping for a lighter weight pant with a thicker/stiffer brush panel but these are basically Attack pants with inside vents and lace hooks (and suspenders?). Same brushed-ish material inside but a bit different feel on the outside brush section. These are not stiff brush pants at all, flex just like the Attacks.

Fit - I actually sized down, I usually wear 34 regular but went 32 regular as I was swimming in the 34’s.
Are these as "baggy" in the legs as the Attacks?

TheTone

WKR
Really curious about these. I could see some shed hunts (where I often wear double front carharts) and some desert hunts where they might be really nice.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider

Attacks snag if you look at them wrong!

Blueman75

FNG
Well I received my pants today and my initial impression is I like them a lot. They fit similar to the Attacks, maybe a little more room and a bit longer. They seem to be very comfortable. Just curious how they will hold up to a few seasons of chasing pheasants.

Cooter49

FNG
When you guys start using them in the field, let us know how they hold up. They look like they'd be a good pants.

Kade206

FNG
Really interested in how these do bushwhacking and taking briars. Nice write up so far.

elkyinzer

WKR
NIce unboxing, glad to know they can stand up to postal abuse.

Regardless I was genuinely a bit excited to see these come about. Been saying it for years, light, flexible brush pants are the way to go for most public land whitetail hunting and scouting. Current daily driver is Patagonia Field Pants, but they stopped making those and I'm down to my last two pairs. Wish I had bought a couple of dozen to last a lifetime.

As such, I'll most likely own a pair of these fairly soon. Seems like Kuiu doesn't mark down anything in the initial product cycle?

Not a fan of the FL pants base fabric is too stiff and the lack of pockets is a dealbreaker. My pair is gen 1, not sure if they've been reiterated or not.

cmahoney

WKR
Have you guys seen the final rise pants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk