Kuiu Merino smell??

JPD350

WKR
Specifically the 145 zip T.

I bought one of these shirts before a recent hunt, I washed it 3 times then went on a backpack hunt and every time I sweat the shirt had a pungent wet dog smell, so bad even my friend asked me to walk behind him so he didn't have to smell it, I didn't have a choice because this was the only base layer shirt I had with me so I just had to deal with it.

So I called Kuiu and asked the Rep if they have ever heard of this bad smell issue and the guy said that he had not, after a bit he finally offered a to send me a return label and that he and his warranty person will look into the issue with the shirt and then get in touch with me.

After the call I did some searches and found quite a few bad smell reviews so I don't see how this Rep has never heard of the bad smell issue, I surely would have preferred him to be straight up with me and say that some garments do have a strong odor and some aren't as bad.

Who has had the smell issue with Kuiu and who hasn't? I am not sure if I want them to send me a different shirt or just get a refund.

My only merino I have from Kuiu is the neck gaiter and I have never had an issue with it having a bad odor and have had it around my neck for many days.

LightFoot

WKR
Mine has a smell coming out of the wash.

I air dry and it goes away.

(Don't dry in dryer)

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

I have two pre Nuyarn t's that are really bad as soon as you start sweating or get wet. My Nuyarn one has the smell, but it's tolerable. It's been covered on here a few times so your not wrong.

chops24

WKR
I own a Kuiu Jacket and Merino shirt. the shirt was just as you describe, nasty after a day of hunting. My First Lite doesnt have the issue. to be fair that was the only Kuiu shirt i ever tried.

All my first lite merino has a distinct smell. It took me a bit to get used to, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a bad smell... just smells like wool to me. I just imagine what a sheep smells like, and it all makes sense. lol. When it is wet, I can smell it but it doesn't seem to effect my scent towards critters.

jspradley

WKR
Kuiu, FL, Icebreaker, etc. they've all smelled like wet wool to me, which smells not that different than wet dog. I believe that's the lanolin.

It went away after a few washings and wearings, I don't notice anymore

ranch

FNG
I have the 125 SS Crew T from Kuiu and it has the same smell when wet as you describe, but maybe not as pungent? I feel like my First lite merino has the exact same smell when wet though. I guess I just assumed that all merino smelled slightly when wet.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Mine has a smell coming out of the wash.

I air dry and it goes away.

(Don't dry in dryer)

So yours has a smell coming out of the wash but not when your'e sweating in it??

The smell on my shirt is much more pungent as a hot sweat soaks it, crazy enough the smell does go away after the garment dries but in my opinion that is unacceptable for performance gear.

I am not sure what you mean by spending money on experience before I spend it on fancy gear. Like I mentioned, I own an Kuiu Merino neck gaiter that does not stink and has never stunk, I would expect a shirt which is not "fancy gear" to have similar qualities.

*zap*

WKR
Sekri PCU level 1 synthetic base layers which have 3% silver fiber are what I use for light base layers. I can wear them for days while working in summer Kansas heat and have no repulsive odors from them. They dry fast...I usually have around $20 per piece shipped in them. Boxers, t shirt, 1/3 zip top and full length bottoms are what they are available in.

Hot or cold that is my next to skin layer....

All my first lite merino has a distinct smell. It took me a bit to get used to, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a bad smell... just smells like wool to me. I just imagine what a sheep smells like, and it all makes sense. lol. When it is wet, I can smell it but it doesn't seem to effect my scent towards critters.

Same, but it almost smells like burning rubber or something to me. Goes away as soon as it dries.

I thought I remembered someone posting once that FL stated its something with the camo and the solids arent supposed to smell as bad, but all I have from FL is camo, so I have no comparison.

Same, but it almost smells like burning rubber or something to me. Goes away as soon as it dries.

I thought I remembered someone posting once that FL stated its something with the camo and the solids arent supposed to smell as bad, but all I have from FL is camo, so I have no comparison.

Hmm, ill have to do a comparison. All my shirts are camo, but i have both solid and camo pants. I agree with thw OP that it resembles the smell of a wet dog, but nothing really terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chops24

WKR
yea my FL has a smell to it but the Kuiu just seemed to trap BO and was not just an "oh thats a different smell". it STUNK.

Another user commented that it was the dyes they (Kuiu) use on the wool. Seems to be much worse when new than after a few wearings and washings. The wet sheep smell may be a good cover scent... Kuiu will not normally admit that their wool smells when wet, that would open the door to lots of returns I would think.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
My ls gets a little ripe after 3-4 days but I'm sweating a ton. Later season can last longer. I wouldn't say pungent, I can still burt my face in it, take a huge whiff and regret not taking a small sniff to check. Not throwing my head back is what I'm saying.
It's a few years old and has been washed a fair amount. Am I out of the woods?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
So yours has a smell coming out of the wash but not when your'e sweating in it??

The smell on my shirt is much more pungent as a hot sweat soaks it, crazy enough the smell does go away after the garment dries but in my opinion that is unacceptable for performance gear.

I am not sure what you mean by spending money on experience before I spend it on fancy gear. Like I mentioned, I own an Kuiu Merino neck gaiter that does not stink and has never stunk, I would expect a shirt which is not "fancy gear" to have similar qualities.
That's my signature line about experience and fancy gear. (When I calculated all the money I was spending on gear, it added to enough for several nice hunts, where my old gear would have been more than adequate)

During a hunt, the wool smells when wet, sweat or rain or whatever. I don't really notice it in the field.

Like it was said before: smells like wet wool.

my old Cabelas ice breaker tees dont have any smell but my camo First Lite button down merino smells funky/ borderline BO when sweated up. i wonder if the % of whats in it can vary enough to make things stinky. its supposed to be 100% merino but maybe dyes and stitching do things that can funky it up.

Shrek

WKR
All the wool I have smells a little like wet sheep/dog but goes away dry and it’s not offensive at all. I’ve got First Lite, Tarramar and Ice Breaker. That said I did get a wool shirt once from some brand that smelled rotten. I mean gag a maggot bad with sweat or any dampness. I washed it several times but I came apart after several attempts. I think the Chinese get a bad batch of wool that’s contaminated or something and they use it anyway since when dry it doesn’t reek.

I have probably 5-6 different merino wool brands, they all smell that way when wet; its part of the deal. When not at work I wear wool 80% of the time (mostly solids), I love it. I don't sweat all that much so I don't often get the odor, but I kind of like it...yeah its wet dog smell but it means I'm wearing my favorite clothes and probably doing one of my favorite activities. It is also 1000x better than BO.

I have noticed a clear difference when its a lighter shirt, a 100 Icebreaker barely smells in comparison to my heavy Kuiu or 260 Icebreakers.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
KUIU has been the worst for me, especially their camo versions. The first time I washed them I thought the sewer backed up into the washer it smelled so bad. Then the first time I wore them and they just started to get wet with sweat it was overwhelming.......but I have a really sensitive nose. I sold all my KUIU, but even FL camo versions stink. Some are more sewer smell, and some are more of a just bad chemical smell. The problem is that my poly camo shirts pick up that odor and keep it even after the merino has dried. Every merino piece I have now is solid color and non hunting company pieces.