KUIU Icon 5000

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eagle, thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I would guess you could get much more in it that way.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Mike, first time seeing this. The straps that attach the bag don't look long enough to let an elk quarter in, but it just may be the video that makes it look like that. Someone with one of these packs is bound to kill an elk and try it out though to see for sure.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
I have the older 6000 bag and the new frame. All I can say is that I am very very happy with it. I packed into my camp over 3 miles with 70# of gear (Carried a ground blind in with me that added 20#) No issues. Hunted for a few days in daypack mode and didnt even feel like I was wearing a pack. After my water filter broke - I decided to break camps and try a different location so I packed everything out in one trip 70 minus a few days food PLUS a 24# climbing tree stand Probably close to 100#). That was a huge load, but bearable none the less.

4-TheLoad.jpg

After getting a new water pump I was headed back in for a 4 day Bivy (26# excluding water) and hunted for 4 hours till I stalked and shot my elk with the pack on. Then it was 3 loads out 2 miles each way. (3 trips total) a load for each of the rear quarters, and my last load was with a front quarter, the head and some gear.

LastLoad.jpg

I was really happy with the performance of the pack. It felt really good. This is the first elk I have packed out with the 6000, and it is more comfortable than my Eberlestock J34 (I've packed out 4 elk with it in the past 2 years). I like the Eberlestock, but the KUIU gets the load closer to my back and it feels more stable, and the eberlestock will cause some bruises on my shoulders with heavier weights (70# plus)

I just put the quarters down in the regular bag (didnt worry about the internal load cell) and hoofed it out. Clean up was easy with about 3 bucks at the spray car wash. The new KUIU frame and suspension is really nice, and the conversion kit is pretty well thought out for the older bags on the newer pack. I am not familiar with the load cell feature on the new bags so cant comment there.

If your an average guy wanting a great pack, I dont see how you can go wrong with KUIU.

Hey guys,

The frame that broke was clearly rigged improperly. That is what prompted the initial request for him to pay for a replacement. The way that Wapitibob described putting the pack into load sling mode is incorrect and exactly what was done in this case that contributed to the failure. To be specific the top bridge strap was pulled out of the frame by the user and attached behind it. This is not correct. When the load sling is in use and rigged properly it's designed so the bag pulling on the top frame stay from the back is countered by the load lifter pulling from the front. In the case of the broken frame, the way it was rigged didn't provide the opposing forces. Proper rigging of the load sling is clearly pictured and described in the pack manual.

Also he was never asked to pay $199, it was $139, closer to our cost. In the end after discussing it with him we sent him a new frame free of charge. It was even overnighted so he could have it in time for an elk hunt. We do stand by our products. When they are not used as designed it makes for a more difficult customer service decision on how to handle it.

Shaun
[email protected]

Regarding the capacity of the load sling, it's designed to handle a boned out deer or sheep, 60-70lbs and around 1800 cu inches. That's the max weight and volume most guys can handle while still having all their camp gear loaded in the pack bag. The sling could handle more weight than that but it becomes a volume issue. By the time you jump up to a bone in large elk or moose hind quarter, those bulky loads are just too deep/thick for the load sling to function properly and need to be carried in the pack bag. This frame and pack combination is strong enough to pack big loads like moose quarters, they just won't fit in the load sling.

If you have any questions please email me.

Shaun
[email protected]

Shaun,
First off welcome to Rokslide! And second thanks to you and Kuiu for wanting and expressing a presence here! Always nice to see a company take up another position that will let them communicate with and listen to their customers.

Mike

Beastmode

WKR
Regarding the capacity of the load sling, it's designed to handle a boned out deer or sheep, 60-70lbs and around 1800 cu inches. That's the max weight and volume most guys can handle while still having all their camp gear loaded in the pack bag. The sling could handle more weight than that but it becomes a volume issue. By the time you jump up to a bone in large elk or moose hind quarter, those bulky loads are just too deep/thick for the load sling to function properly and need to be carried in the pack bag. This frame and pack combination is strong enough to pack big loads like moose quarters, they just won't fit in the load sling.

Shaun
[email protected]

Thanks for the clarification Shaun. I am looking at getting a new pack this next year and am looking very hard at the icon. This thread had me a bit worried but it sounds like someone was misinformed. Seems like a great product just like everything else you guys make!

very good to know and sort of put that worry to rest. im still thinking this might be a great option when its time to upgrade the wife from her old dana pack

sk1

WKR

Shaun
[email protected]

nice to know what the capabilities are supposed to be, thanks

Wrongside

WKR
norcalblacktail,

Interesting review of an interesting pack. Here's hoping the new ICONS live up to their promise. I have been very happy with the KUIU items that I do have, but will give the pack/development some time yet.

Curious, are you also Kestrel Knives?

Question about this pack. Does it have an attachment or place to carry your gun/bow on the pack? Also, is it top load only or are there side access
Zippers to the main compartment? I have the cabelas internal frame pack and althought i do not absolutely love the pack as a whole, I really don't wanna give up those two features

Beastmode

WKR
Question about this pack. Does it have an attachment or place to carry your gun/bow on the pack? Also, is it top load only or are there side access
Zippers to the main compartment? I have the cabelas internal frame pack and althought i do not absolutely love the pack as a whole, I really don't wanna give up those two features

Watch the video on the KUIU website. It has front access and has a spot for a rifle on the side of the pack. I'm sure you could easily put a bow on it with the compression straps.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Griz - (For the icon 6000 - which is very similar to the 5/7000) You can very easily attach the gun to the pack along the sides using the lower pouches to hold the buttstock. as for the bow, it can be strapped to the back of the pack using the existing straps/buckles.

As far as loading - you can either top load the pack, or unzip it and flop open the back and load it that way.

additionally there are many smaller zippered pockets on the inside for organizing all the little things you will need without having to have a stuff sack for everything. Look at the videos on the KUIU online site.

sk1

WKR
well I returned my icon 5000 pack to kuiu......there were things i definitely liked about it, but I just didnt feel like the fit was quite right for me. At $600 I wasn't willing to give it a few test runs in the mountains to find out only to not be able to return it. I will order a kifaru DT2 this December and hopefully that's the pack ive been waiting to meet all my life.

i really wanted to like the icon, it's not a bad pack at all, just decided it wasnt for me

garrenj

FNG
Well I just returned from a 6 day Elk hunt with the 5000.

I didn't get to test with with super heavy loads as we only got one spike and it was an easy and short pack out. We did have some close calls with good bulls but weren't able to seal the deal. It was either the wind or cows busting us. Gotta love chasing elk with a bow.

I did use the pack as a day pack and it performed very well. In my opinion it cinches up very well and I was surprised at how quiet it was. I did seem to have some problem with the load lifters loosing while the pack was empty. This was never a problem loaded however.

All the pockets are pretty sweet. I'm still figuring out what to use all of them for but they sure help keep everything organized.

The lumbar support was great, it dug in some initially but loosing the load stabilizers fixed that. The waist-belt and shoulder straps are very comfortable.

I'll be leaving next Friday for a 9 day deer hunt, hopefully get to test with a better load.

My attack pants didn't survive the elk hunt as the fly zipper broke and some of the stitching is coming out day 4. Other than that they were awesome, and yes I wore them two days with an open fly. Called customer service today and they asked to send in pictures. I sure hope they are covered under warranty since I've only spent about 10 days afield in the pants.

krummholz

FNG
Update

I got a chance to test the Icon 5000 with some pretty heavy loads during my second week of deer and elk hunting, and I was very happy with the way the pack handled.

• The first big load was a boned out hind quarter and both boned out front shoulders from my dads bull. Did not have a scale, but I would guess it was somewhere around 100 lbs. This load didn't fit in the load sling, but fit nicely inside the main pack. I carried this for about 1000 ft vertical drop down a pretty steep nasty mountain side before my dad's feet started to hurt badly so we dropped part of the load and came back later that day. I finished that trip back to camp with a boned out hind and front, so still a pretty solid load. There is no way around a load like that being heavy, but I had no complaints or hot spots from the pack.
  • The only complaint I had was that when I was able to use the load sling for the second load of only 1 boned out hind quarter, the "bridge strap" connecting to the load lifters was slipping pretty badly so I had to keep tightening it up as I went. It would be nice if these "bridge straps were a couple inches longer as well, they don't give you much length to work with.
  • The second day I went solo up to 12,000ft and found a muley buck hanging out in some cliffs. I was able to arrow him after waiting 6 hours for a good shot.:D I boned him out and loaded the entire thing inside my pack. This was another pretty heavy load for about 2000 vertical feet down to camp, and another 1500 to the trailhead the next day. It handled a whole deer nicely and besides the sore legs and feet, the pack felt great!
So overall, I am very happy with the new Icon. I was impressed with the way it handled as heavy of a load as I ever want to carry! The new frame is very stiff and it never felt like it was too flimsy with these loads. A couple issues with load lifters slipping still, but since the hip belt was taking most of the load it never caused any real problems. I do wish the load sling was a bit bigger to keep more bloody meat out of the pack, but it sounds like it wasn't intended to be very big.

I know packs are a personal preference sort of thing, but I would not hesitate to recommend the new Icon for serious backpack hunting.

IMG_0979-001.jpgIMG_0991-001.jpg

sk1

WKR
glad to hear it worked well for you.....did the lumbar pad bother you until you broke it in? or was it always comfortable for you...that was my main concern with this pack