KUIU bino harness confirmation?

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I got my harnesses in the mail yesterday. I purchased a Large and XL as I wasn't positive the L was going to be big enough for my 8x42 Geovids. Turns out, the Geovids JUST fit in the L, but without lens cap covers is best. I think I prefer them in the XL case better though. More extra room and not such a tight fit. (My Geovids even fit in the XL case with the Outdoorsmans (Geovid) Tripod adapter attached to the barrel of the binos.) My 10x42 monarchs fit great in the size L. My 15x56 fit very similar in the XL case as the Geovids do in the L case, but I had the ocular and objective lens covers on my 15x56's as well as an Outdoorsmans tripod adapter with Bogen plate.

Here are my 8x42 Geovids (eye cups extended) in the L (vias) case:
KUIU%2520Bino%2520Harness%2520005.JPG

Here are my 8x42 Geovids in the XL (verde) case:
KUIU%2520Bino%2520Harness%2520003.JPG

Here are my Swaro 15x56 in the XL case:
KUIU%2520Bino%2520Harness%2520007.JPG

Here are my 10x42 Monarchs in the L case (eyecups extended):
KUIU%2520Bino%2520Harness%2520006.JPG

With the harness the 15's aren't bad at all to carry around. I've never really worn them around my neck (unless moving a short distance to glass), but I have the option now.

Harness is very comfortable and makes up for a several shortcomings in a semi custom harness I've been using. In comparing it to my FHF harness, each harness has it's pros and cons. I have gotten used to the full harness of the FHF, so the lack of straps from the top of the case makes you have to snug it up against your chest more, but it isn't a big deal and that is how my other bino harness was.

I like the tensioners on the side/bottom of the harness can adjust how tight the lid is compressed against the binos, and I also like the idea of the rain cover. I can see myself using the rain cover more often on my binos while they are sitting on a tripod vs on the case. Normally my bino harness is under my rain jacket, but it gives me options, which I like...

I also like how quiet the inner fleece of the inside of the bino case is. No nylon scratch sound when inserting or removing the binos.

The above observations are only from messing with them for an hour or so last night. I'm sure to have more (and possibly different) thoughts after trying out the harness(es) in the field. So far I like them and look forward to using the harness!

trdhunter

WKR
Great initial review and hope to hear more comparison between the kuiu and fhf as I need a replacement for my badlands case.

Liking this harness. Took it out glassing last night. Really easy to use. Quick in and out. Quiet too. I do wish it had a strap on the top half of the harness more like the FHF. I feel like that top strap would make this thing ride absolutely perfectly. But maybe it just takes some getting used to. The FHF has been my favorite so far. But my initial thought are that I like this better than the FHF...

Reasons:
- The harness is more comfortable, the webbing of the FHF wore on me after a full day.
- Its quieter. (And I believe its a bit lighter but that's guessing I didn't put it on the scale).
- Its faster to get binos in and out of, the fhe lid was always in my way I felt like.
- Its matching camo.
- Easier to adjust fit preferences than FHF.
- For what its worth the multiple modes are nice, you can use the harness without the case the hardware for that and a rain cover is included.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I got one yesterday, and while I think it is as good or better than anything on the market, there are areas of improvement that could be made. The primary one is to make the cover quieter for putting the binocs in and taking them out. There is a rigid material in the bottom 1/2 of the pouch so it will hold its shape, which could have been better executed. I can definately see where folks would want the top straps to connect to the case instead of the binocs, but that is something I am used to with my home brew harness. The pockets on the side are too snug for much, but will be a good place to carry the rain cover.

I really like that it can be full used one-handed - perhaps the biggest advancement relative to other products on the market.

The Kuiu rain cover will be slick to use with the Rick Young harness - maybe Kuiu will sell that seperately?

The Kuiu harness is sitting at home waiting for me to try it out. It showed up on Saturday and I had left Friday for a two day trip into elk camp. Oh well.