Kowa 77 vs Swarovski ats 65

Looking to get a spotting scope. Like both of these options, weight is always a issue but willing to compromise for a better product. Only experience with spotters was a kowa 602 that I wasn't very impressed with. What are your thoughts/ experiences.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Both of those scopes are leaps and bounds better than the 602 you had. I've used Swaro 65s and 80s, I own a 773. The Kowa is a little heavier than the ATS 65 but that bigger objective is nice during early morning and late evening for the extra light gathering ability. The eyepiece on the Kowa is outstanding, considered to be the best on the market and it's a wide angle lens, the TE-11Z.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR

S&S Archery has a blog post comparing the two.

the ATS is definitely lighter but the 77 is a pretty incredible balance of size, weight, and low light performance (larger objective helps a ton).

S&S Archery also has the Kowa at $400 off right now which is a ridiculous price for that optic.

OP
F

S&S Archery has a blog post comparing the two.

the ATS is definitely lighter but the 77 is a pretty incredible balance of size, weight, and low light performance (larger objective helps a ton).

S&S Archery also has the Kowa at $400 off right now which is a ridiculous price for that optic.
I saw that price which is definitely factoring in. I know kowa is big with the birding community but always wonder why you rarely ever hear hunters talk about them. Seems like swaro always gets the attention

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
i think a more accurate comparison would have been to use a swaro with an 80mm objective lense. the specs on a swaro 80 and the kowa 773 are closer than the swaro 65 and the kowa 773.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I saw that price which is definitely factoring in. I know kowa is big with the birding community but always wonder why you rarely ever hear hunters talk about them. Seems like swaro always gets the attention

Because birders are fanatical about optics and dig deep into the specifics. Hunters are the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge type and tend to be fanboys without looking into the details. Glass technology has come a long way and there are a handful of contenders making equal if not better glass than Swarovski, Kowa being one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
3fcf06c6a9bbb526d4fc7d4684fbb2a0.jpg

FYI, right now on DVOR they have the Kowa TSN-774 straight body for a pretty killer deal.

Shoes

FNG
FYI, right now on DVOR they have the Kowa TSN-774 straight body for a pretty killer deal.

Decent price but that is the body only so putting the eye piece back in, you're pretty much back in the same ball park as other places. Just adding for clarity.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Good point, I read it as “straight body only”, so no angled version. Thanks for catching that

I have been running the 773 since 2014. No fan boy here! I found size to great from a pickup or taking it on a extend backpack hunts. Have looked through them all and found the kowa to be on pair if not better in some aspects to the big 3 for 1/3-1/2 the $$$. Have spent a lot of time behind the meopta too and it’s a fantastic spotter!

OP
F
I have been running the 773 since 2014. No fan boy here! I found size to great from a pickup or taking it on a extend backpack hunts. Have looked through them all and found the kowa to be on pair if not better in some aspects to the big 3 for 1/3-1/2 the $$$. Have spent a lot of time behind the meopta too and it’s a fantastic spotter!
Thanks for the reply I'll have to check out the meopta also. If you had to pick one which one would it be

Thanks for the reply I'll have to check out the meopta also. If you had to pick one which one would it be
You can’t go wrong with either one they are both awesome spotters! I do like the feel of the meopta better but that’s a stupid reason on my part!!! That has nothing to do with performance! get the wide zoom eye piece. I did see s&s archery has the kowa 88 on sale for $2450. My hunting partner has that scope and it’s a top tier scope also. Just a little heavier. Hope that helps.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before I bought my last spotter I had this exact question Swarovski 65 vs Kowa 77.
For me I ended up with the Kowa and I just felt I got a bit more light with the bigger objective and a bit more zoom with the eye piece for less money.
The things I worried about with the Kowa was the warranty (everyone knows Swarovski warranty is awesome) and resell value if I wanted to move to a bigger scope later. Thankfully I haven't tested the warranty or wanted a different scope.
I've had it side by side with a Swarovski 65 and didn't feel it gave anything up. It's my only spotter so I pack it everywhere and while wishing it was lighter (wish everything in my pack was less) I've never left it behind.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
I am debating this same thing now. I want a do it all type but mostly will be packing. I also added the kowa 554 to list. one question will the 554 see through the shadows like 774?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
F
I am debating this same thing now. I want a do it all type but mostly will be packing. I also added the kowa 554 to list. one question will the 554 see through the shadows like 774?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I will also be packing it 90% of the time. However I had a kowa 602 with the 30x eye piece and when I compared it to my binoculars on a tripod I could actually see further and more detail with my binos. So I don't feel like the little kowa gives me enough of a advantage to make it a option

I will also be packing it 90% of the time. However I had a kowa 602 with the 30x eye piece and when I compared it to my binoculars on a tripod I could actually see further and more detail with my binos. So I don't feel like the little kowa gives me enough of a advantage to make it a option

I have not looked through a swaro. But I have compared my 774 to my 602 with 30x wide. The 602 is nice for a budget scope but there really is no comparison. The kowa has a “wow” factor. But it’s not a small scope...and you really need a sturdy tripod to make it a good viewing experience (mine is 2.9lbs without head). I really don’t look forward to packing that setup.

@Hatchet Jack looked through mine and liked the view a lot more than the swaro 65 he had previously looked through. But not a direct comparison.

If you're looking for a smaller, lighter option in a Kowa, and still have the superb quality optics of the 774, the 602 is not the one to look at. The 553/4 is the king of that hill.
I'm serious when I say it'll punch up there with the big boys, all at just 28-29 oz. You will give up some FOV though.

Last edited: