ATS 65 vs KOWA 66A

Jlujan01

FNG
Hope this helps somebody

I have been looking into new spotters and the new Kowa 66 piqued my interest. The only place around me that sells both Kowa and Swaro was a local birding store so I went over there as the sun was getting low in the sky. I put an ATS 65 right next to a Kowa 66A and glassed over some oak brush hills that I glass all year long. At 1.75 miles on the shady slopes, the Kowa was bright and colorful whereas the ATS just couldn’t keep up. I found the Kowa could transmit the green junipers along with grays and yellows. I didn’t get to move a ton so I didn’t find any bucks in my 30 minutes with the spotters but the difference was clear. The Swaro, even with the 25-50 wide angle, was darker and tougher to get focused. While both spotters are nice, I was unimpressed with the ATS when it was sitting next to the Kowa. My lady was with me and she has some experience behind glass and she felt the same way about them without me revealing my feelings about them. I compared them at a variety of zoom ratings.
If you are in the market for a new spotter and you don’t have access to both spotters, my 2¢ says go for the Kowa. If you look hard enough, you can get them for the same price.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My limited experience with spotters has put the Kowa prominar with Flourite far above anything. Doesn’t surprise me that the newest Kowa came out ahead.

I wish they would make binos and riflescope with the Flourite, makes for lighter Alpha optics.

OP
J

Jlujan01

FNG
I’ve been thinking the same thing. I love my NL Pures but if Kowa came out with binos on par with their spotters, I would definitely be interested.
I hope this puts Kowa on the map with more retailers so more people can check them out. Im very impressed

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Was this the new 66 from kowa you compared? I have the 663m and it has served me well so far.

OP
J

Jlujan01

FNG
Yes the new one. I have never looked through the older ones but the new lenses seem to have brought the 66 up a level from what I hear. I am going to pick one up here soon and go stretch its legs on some winter range spots.

OP
J

Jlujan01

FNG
The Kowa 66A is really class leading IMO.

Here are my thoughts:

Man, that is an awesome review. I love that picture of Saturn, it really speaks to my internal science nerd. I was thinking about the 88, as well, but the weight penalty just seems to be too much for what I do. I’ve read some of your other gear reviews and they are stellar.

The Kowa 66A is really class leading IMO.

Here are my thoughts:

@ Matt Cashell

I was able to look at a Kowa 88A (it was the only size they had) and compared it to several swaros and the Kowa was amazing. At 60x the image was just as clear as 25x. It was maybe just a little darker at 60X. Is the 66A the same? I'm not sure if I should get a 88A or the 66A. The cost and weight is better for the 66A but I'm not sure what I would be giving up going with the 66A. Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
@ Matt Cashell

I was able to look at a Kowa 88A (it was the only size they had) and compared it to several swaros and the Kowa was amazing. At 60x the image was just as clear as 25x. It was maybe just a little darker at 60X. Is the 66A the same? I'm not sure if I should get a 88A or the 66A. The cost and weight is better for the 66A but I'm not sure what I would be giving up going with the 66A. Thanks
As I mention in the review, there is essentially no penalty for going with the 66A in good light. The 88 still has an advantage in really low light, but it was closer than I expected.

Hope this helps somebody

I have been looking into new spotters and the new Kowa 66 piqued my interest. The only place around me that sells both Kowa and Swaro was a local birding store so I went over there as the sun was getting low in the sky. I put an ATS 65 right next to a Kowa 66A and glassed over some oak brush hills that I glass all year long. At 1.75 miles on the shady slopes, the Kowa was bright and colorful whereas the ATS just couldn’t keep up. I found the Kowa could transmit the green junipers along with grays and yellows. I didn’t get to move a ton so I didn’t find any bucks in my 30 minutes with the spotters but the difference was clear. The Swaro, even with the 25-50 wide angle, was darker and tougher to get focused. While both spotters are nice, I was unimpressed with the ATS when it was sitting next to the Kowa. My lady was with me and she has some experience behind glass and she felt the same way about them without me revealing my feelings about them. I compared them at a variety of zoom ratings.
If you are in the market for a new spotter and you don’t have access to both spotters, my 2¢ says go for the Kowa. If you look hard enough, you can get them for the same price.
For me a big component that makes the kowa so appealing is the focuser module. It's such an easier seemless viewing experience being able to use your finger rather than your blocky whole hand. Though others may feel differently.

ljalberta

WKR
You could always just locate the screw on the arca plate. Blue or if you want it permanent, red.
It’s mostly about Arca integration and saving that 0.6 oz in the mounting plate :).

But hey, if Swaro did it, Kowa could do it too.

OP
J

Jlujan01

FNG
For me a big component that makes the kowa so appealing is the focuser module. It's such an easier seemless viewing experience being able to use your finger rather than your blocky whole hand. Though others may feel differently.
I feel the same way. It was so easy to get that perfect focus with the macro and micro. The barrel focus just seemed to keep me searching a little longer. I don’t see how one could counter that point besides the fact the Kowa knobs add a slightly bigger, less sleek profile. To me, it was hard to not induce slight vibrations in the ATS when trying to get that focus just right.
Great points!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If you had to pick one, which would it be? Robby seemed to have left his 65 at home and only rocked the compact so I was wondering if you felt the same way?

Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Maybe unsurprisingly, I’m not really a one spotter kind of guy. I like matching the tool to the job.

A subcompact spotter is a perfect match for a long distance backpack hunt while a midsize spotter is good for general use, and a large spotter is great for a vehicle based hunt.

For all-around use I recommend 65-85mm objective scopes.

OP
J

Jlujan01

FNG

Maybe unsurprisingly, I’m not really a one spotter kind of guy. I like matching the tool to the job.

A subcompact spotter is a perfect match for a long distance backpack hunt while a midsize spotter is good for general use, and a large spotter is great for a vehicle based hunt.

Well said. That is true for pretty much all gear, in my opinion. It seems like that is universal a

Great response. I feel like this is the truth for all gear. Almost every situation has it own unique needs from tents to bags, boots to optics. Even weapon choice.
Thanks for your input!