Kowa 77 vs Swarovski ats 65

OP
F
If you're looking for a smaller, lighter option in a Kowa, and still have the superb quality optics of the 774, the 602 is not the one to look at. The 553/4 is the king of that hill.
I'm serious when I say it'll punch up there with the big boys, all at just 28-29 oz. You will give up some FOV though.
Do you feel like it gives you enough magnification ECT over a pair of quality binoculars on a tripod though. This would be a simpler issue if places actually stocked kowa

Do you feel like it gives you enough magnification ECT over a pair of quality binoculars on a tripod though. This would be a simpler issue if places actually stocked kowa

To answer your question....yes, absolutely.

I hear you about the lack of available retail outlets. I went through the same frustrations. Lacking the opportunity for hands on experience and comparisons, I did a ton of research and read lots of reviews. Finally, I took a leap of faith and ordered a TSN 554. I was so blown away and impressed by this little scope that I've since acquired a pair of Kowa Genesis 44 10.5 binos. They're equally impressive.

Last edited:
You can sometimes find a kowa in store to look at with birding stores. I know my local (front range birding) in Littleton carries them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I will also be packing it 90% of the time. However I had a kowa 602 with the 30x eye piece and when I compared it to my binoculars on a tripod I could actually see further and more detail with my binos. So I don't feel like the little kowa gives me enough of a advantage to make it a option
The 602 vs 554 is not even an apples to oranges comparison. More like apples to prunes. The 554 has the pure fluorite glass like the 88 series has. It'll blow your binos out of the water and the 602 will be a distant memory.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I bought the angled Kowa 77 and I couldn’t be happier. It is a great scope! If you want smaller for packability then that’s about the only reason I could see choosing the Swaro 65 over it. The weight is very close, and it’s a short scope so it’s not huge in your pack.

You can’t cheat the mountain

FlyGuy

WKR
Also, meant to say I bought mine from Doug at cameraland. Great to work with!

You can’t cheat the mountain

To answer your question....yes, absolutely.

I hear you about the lack of available retail outlets. I went through the same frustrations. Lacking the opportunity for hands on experience and comparisons, I did a ton of research and read lots of reviews. Finally, I took a leap of faith and ordered a TSN 554. I was so blown away and impressed by this little scope that I've since acquired a pair of Kowa Genesis 44 10.5 binos. They're equally impressive.

Hey EagleMountainman,

What would you compare the Genesis 44s to? I just got the Kowa 553 and absolutely think it’s an awesome scope. Was just looking at some elk on my way home and it’s quite impressive. Anyways I can’t find much on Kowas binos at all, and was curious what you think of them? I currently have some older Vortex Viper HD (Japanese Version), but have been wanting to upgrade this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I will also be packing it 90% of the time. However I had a kowa 602 with the 30x eye piece and when I compared it to my binoculars on a tripod I could actually see further and more detail with my binos. So I don't feel like the little kowa gives me enough of a advantage to make it a option

the 602 is not the optical equivalent of the 55 series. Only the 55 and the 88 have their best optics. The 77 is great though but doesn’t not have their top tier optics like the other 2.

tdhanses

WKR
Yup, but I only base that on having compared it to Swaro EL’s with Swaro vision and my Leica HDB’s. That little Kowa is crystal clear especially on the lowest magnification. When you increase zoom only thing that falls off is fov.

sneaky

"DADDY"
the 602 is not the optical equivalent of the 55 series. Only the 55 and the 88 have their best optics. The 77 is great though but doesn’t not have their top tier optics like the other 2.
True, but the 77s eyepiece is better than the 55s. The only scopes that the 77 series gives anything up to is the 88 series.

tdhanses

WKR
True, but the 77s eyepiece is better than the 55s. The only scopes that the 77 series gives anything up to is the 88 series.

True, that eyepiece is amazing! I still don’t get why they didn’t use the WA in the 55 even if it was a price increase.

Hey EagleMountainman,

What would you compare the Genesis 44s to? I just got the Kowa 553 and absolutely think it’s an awesome scope. Was just looking at some elk on my way home and it’s quite impressive. Anyways I can’t find much on Kowas binos at all, and was curious what you think of them? I currently have some older Vortex Viper HD (Japanese Version), but have been wanting to upgrade this year.

Peaks&Creeks

Here's an excellent review of the Genesis 44 10.5s. They are as precise as any alpha glass I've ever looked through. I have buddies who are Swaro snobs and they both, begrudgingly, admit that the Kowas are the equal to their glass. You pay a huge premium to join the Swarovski club. I paid less than 1/2 what a pair of 10x42 ELs would cost. The only knock on the Kowas is that they weigh a bit more than most 10x42s at 34oz. I don't even notice it anymore to be honest.

www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Kowa10.5x44GenesisXD-31.htm

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
True, that eyepiece is amazing! I still don’t get why they didn’t use the WA in the 55 even if it was a price increase.
You're preaching to the choir on that one lol

Peaks&Creeks

Here's an excellent review of the Genesis 44 10.5s. They are as precise as any alpha glass I've ever looked through. I have buddies who are Swaro snobs and they both, begrudgingly, admit that the Kowas are the equal to their glass. You pay a huge premium to join the Swarovski club. I paid less than 1/2 what a pair of 10x42 ELs would cost. The only knock on the Kowas is that they weigh a bit more than most 10x42s at 34oz. I don't even notice it anymore to be honest.

www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Kowa10.5x44GenesisXD-31.htm

Thanks for the info. The weight does not bother me too much, but the one thing that does bug me a bit is the lack of removal of the center cap to screw in a tripod mount. Other than that they sound like fantastic binos. I was definitely considering some Swaro SLCs but may add these to my list.

OP
F
I was also looking to upgrade to some swaro slc but will have to give these a look. Is there any way to mount them to a tripod?

That little 553 would be even more incredible with that WA 25-60x eyepiece and I would pay the difference and take the weight penalty. They should also make the 773 with a fluorite objective lens and then I would own both those scopes.

Thanks for the info. The weight does not bother me too much, but the one thing that does bug me a bit is the lack of removal of the center cap to screw in a tripod mount. Other than that they sound like fantastic binos. I was definitely considering some Swaro SLCs but may add these to my list.

I was also looking to upgrade to some swaro slc but will have to give these a look. Is there any way to mount them to a tripod?

Sorry, I was meaning to mention that. Yeah, I don't know why that wouldn't be an automatic on any glass. It's really not a big deal for me though, I just use one of those flat bino mounts and a quick release plate on my fluid head. It takes zero effort to switch back and forth with my scope. I even used this set up on my old binos that had the mount socket.

I have the ATS 65mm with the WA lens that has been a great scope and goes unnoticed in the pack. The picture attached is at just over 1200 yards through the spotter using my iPhone

Attachments

• CBF1D523-2D7E-4EC0-B09C-A96169D7C49D.png
    CBF1D523-2D7E-4EC0-B09C-A96169D7C49D.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
Last edited by a moderator:

excaliber

WKR
While we're on this subject............ I wish they would have used the Pure fluorite crystal glass on the 774 series. Why use the best eye piece with lesser quality objective lens?

While they are at it make these scopes with an armored finish like Swarovski.