Kowa 55-77-88

Braaap

WKR
Those moon pics are phenomenal.
Ever take any in the field pics with your 55 on big game? Would be interesting to see.

I am curious where my little Sirui would max out at given the size of the 88.

Another reason for going the 88 route would be to add an updated 55, or a flourite 66 (should they ever decide) in the future.
I borrowed a 55 from a buddy for a ewe tag my wife had in October. It’s impressive but the narrow fov took some getting used to. I took some pics through it while hand holding it as I forgot my universal phone mount.

Attachments

• E7E4E9A2-3CB6-4D9A-9E56-961060BB9798.jpeg
    E7E4E9A2-3CB6-4D9A-9E56-961060BB9798.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 118
  • 5AE19482-0FEF-4F76-A3DD-3A3300283BE1.jpeg
    5AE19482-0FEF-4F76-A3DD-3A3300283BE1.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 115

tdhanses

WKR
I’m really bad about it but did take a few with the 55 this year, not sure on distance but probably from 1.5 - 2 miles out. I just snapped them and didn’t take time but they were much clearer looking at the screen.

Last year I spotted my elk at 2200yds and the little Kowa was better to me then the swaro 65 my guide had, don’t think he had an HD but don’t remember as well.

View attachment 476266View attachment 476267View attachment 476268
I should also clarify these pics are with maybe 20 mins of shooting light left.

I would have a hard time using my 55mm for what you describe. I do pack it when I know I’m hunting less vast country and won’t be using it to find game.

77mm was my staple for a long time and probably never should have sold it. An excellent all around scope that does exactly what you need it to.

My buddy has the 88mm and it is a slight but noticable improvement over the 77. Hard to quantify, but when you’re really stretching the limits of the 77mm trying to judge a buck, the 88mm is just a bit better at discerning what he is. I’m talking 2-3 miles out, not ideal lighting, etc. Both work fine on a va5 head; weight/balance is not much of an issue between them.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
If you can find the older body design vs the new, think there are only cosmetic changes and you’ll find better deals, also have you considered going crazy and getting the 99?

If I even bothered mentioning that 99, my wife would have a heart attack 🤣

That being said, I think 88 is as big as I’m willing to go. I’m still a young buck, or so I tell myself, and work out often, so I’m not worried about packing the extra weight persay. But that 99 is a tank. I’ll shave my rifle down a lb before I worry about the 88.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I would have a hard time using my 55mm for what you describe. I do pack it when I know I’m hunting less vast country and won’t be using it to find game.

77mm was my staple for a long time and probably never should have sold it. An excellent all around scope that does exactly what you need it to.

My buddy has the 88mm and it is a slight but noticable improvement over the 77. Hard to quantify, but when you’re really stretching the limits of the 77mm trying to judge a buck, the 88mm is just a bit better at discerning what he is. I’m talking 2-3 miles out, not ideal lighting, etc. Both work fine on a va5 head; weight/balance is not much of an issue between them.

That’s exactly what I was wanting to hear on the VA5. Makes my decision even harder. I got the “go ahead” from my wife today to order one and compare to the ATS and decide which one I prefer.

I too regret selling the 77, and knew at the time I had it, it was the end all be all, and then stumbled into another ATS. I just don’t want to order a 77 and wonder “what if” on the 88. I also don’t want to order the 88 and tell myself “damn should’ve just gone back to the 77”.

I think I’ll take the 65 out one more trip tomorrow and run it through the paces on some elk, and then make the final decision on ordering.

tdhanses

WKR
That’s exactly what I was wanting to hear on the VA5. Makes my decision even harder. I got the “go ahead” from my wife today to order one and compare to the ATS and decide which one I prefer.

I too regret selling the 77, and knew at the time I had it, it was the end all be all, and then stumbled into another ATS. I just don’t want to order a 77 and wonder “what if” on the 88. I also don’t want to order the 88 and tell myself “damn should’ve just gone back to the 77”.

I think I’ll take the 65 out one more trip tomorrow and run it through the paces on some elk, and then make the final decision on ordering.
Get that 88 on order man! Then down the road get a 55 😜

tdhanses

WKR
55 down the road or a fluorite 66 if they ever happen!
Doubt the 66 ever comes, it would of been out before the 55 if it was a consideration.

Fact is the 66 would be similar in size/bulk as the 77 and weigh maybe 8oz less and 1” shorter, the 55 is able to be 1/3 less bulk and much lighter. I’d take a 77 before a 66 even if they come out with a fluorite version.

I can see a 77 change to fluorite though.

I had the 66 initially, was fine for my purposes. Was my first quality spotter. I decided to bump up to the 77. 77 is obviously better in all regards. Definitely a better eye piece on it. For my uses I’ll keep the 77. It’s still packable but I wouldn’t want it any larger or heavier. I’m sure there’s an improvement going to the 88, I’ve not looked through one. I would not want to pack one larger than the 77 around the hills.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I may just be splitting hairs here…
ATS 65 HD 25-50. 1.6 miles. Handheld no Phone Skope. Mirage was fairly bad (sun off snow).

Obviously looks better in person without the camera.

Top right bull was a nice 6x6. Bottom wouldn’t turn his head long enough.

CEF20A2C-08F7-4811-843D-7F92892CFC8C.jpegE967AC88-2AFA-455C-BC16-581CB5E7E410.jpeg

Last edited:

dapesche

WKR
Ok. My ridiculous obsession over finding the best value gear possible will help here.

I've posted re: kowa spotters in other threads and have pics as well.

Order of ownership:
Nikon ed50
Kowa 663ed
Swaro 65atx (bought new and returned)
Tested 65sts against 65atx and 663ed
Kowa 773
Bought 1.6 extender
Kowa 883

Nikon ed50: was great for what it was. Quality was there but I struggled looking through it for long periods.

Kowa 663ed: this spotter was incredible. You'll see a picture of a goat in my fs: ad that was 2kms away. Sold it b/c it just darkened up enough at 60x mag that I couldn't make out sex and age of a goat

Swaro atx65: after the issue on goat hunt, it was obviously due to having a kowa and not a swaro. Talked into the spotter by someone. Received it, compared it vs kowa, and paid restocking cost to return it

Sts65 HD was a friends. It was the worst of the three (663ed/atx65/sts65hd)

Kowa 773: this thing is excellent. Heavier than the 663d but it was essentially the same sharpness but brighter.

Managed to score a deal on kowa 1.6x extender. Tossed it on the 773 and noticed it dropped off in light gathering at 60x again (duh).

Liked the extender and wanted light. Bought a 2nd hand 883. This thing is noticeably brighter and sharp. It is fantastic.

So I sold the 773 to a local guy. He didn't buy sight unseen. I met him at a sheep glassing spot in the evening. He had borrowed a 65ats HD and I had my 773 and 883. 883 was the obvious winner in his opinion. He thought the 773 was better than the swaro.

He bought the kowa. He is bcbillies on IG. He got some great pics of goats this fall using the 773.

So I went down the rabbit hole as a spotter newb and my thoughts are this...
1) I'd buy the 663ed again without a doubt. In reality I should've just stuck with it
2) I'd take the 663 over a 553. The glass is obviously better in the 553 but my experience glassing through a 55 objective spotter wasn't fun
3) the 773 is excellent and if I hadn't bought that extender I would've had no reason to go to the 883
4) the 883 is quality. Brighter than the 773 and still very sharp. Coatings are great. Easy to glass through (I bought an eye patch... So good).

Best value: 663ed
Best spotter: 883

I'll be dragging that 883 around on a sheep hunt this summer. The weight will be worth it and hopefully we can rule out sheep from behind the glass vs hiking hours to get close enough to make the same call.

If you're between the swaro 65 and the 773 then you get the 773. It's better.

If you're between the 773 and 883, that's tougher. 773 is great. If you want to be glassing at 60x during dawn and dusk then you'll benefit from the 883 over the 773.

Any Q's, flip me pm

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

I would have to agree with all of the above. Spent time with the 55, 774, and 884 this fall mule deer hunting. I don’t have a whole lot to add to what has been said but would agree with your assessment. I will say, my mom has the kowa 60mm with the 30x fixed eyepiece for birding. Damned if that combo is not overall more pleasant to look through and tack sharp, extremely wide FOV..2oz heavier than my 554 and somewhat bulkier. But it was over $1000 cheaper and the image is better overall. If needing an ultralight spotter on a budget, that combo is excellent and a significant step up from the Nikon ed50 in my opinion.

The 77 series is quite good..if not for the BTX I would still have mine.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Ok. My ridiculous obsession over finding the best value gear possible will help here.

I've posted re: kowa spotters in other threads and have pics as well.

Order of ownership:
Nikon ed50
Kowa 663ed
Swaro 65atx (bought new and returned)
Tested 65sts against 65atx and 663ed
Kowa 773
Bought 1.6 extender
Kowa 883

Nikon ed50: was great for what it was. Quality was there but I struggled looking through it for long periods.

Kowa 663ed: this spotter was incredible. You'll see a picture of a goat in my fs: ad that was 2kms away. Sold it b/c it just darkened up enough at 60x mag that I couldn't make out sex and age of a goat

Swaro atx65: after the issue on goat hunt, it was obviously due to having a kowa and not a swaro. Talked into the spotter by someone. Received it, compared it vs kowa, and paid restocking cost to return it

Sts65 HD was a friends. It was the worst of the three (663ed/atx65/sts65hd)

Kowa 773: this thing is excellent. Heavier than the 663d but it was essentially the same sharpness but brighter.

Managed to score a deal on kowa 1.6x extender. Tossed it on the 773 and noticed it dropped off in light gathering at 60x again (duh).

Liked the extender and wanted light. Bought a 2nd hand 883. This thing is noticeably brighter and sharp. It is fantastic.

So I sold the 773 to a local guy. He didn't buy sight unseen. I met him at a sheep glassing spot in the evening. He had borrowed a 65ats HD and I had my 773 and 883. 883 was the obvious winner in his opinion. He thought the 773 was better than the swaro.

He bought the kowa. He is bcbillies on IG. He got some great pics of goats this fall using the 773.

So I went down the rabbit hole as a spotter newb and my thoughts are this...
1) I'd buy the 663ed again without a doubt. In reality I should've just stuck with it
2) I'd take the 663 over a 553. The glass is obviously better in the 553 but my experience glassing through a 55 objective spotter wasn't fun
3) the 773 is excellent and if I hadn't bought that extender I would've had no reason to go to the 883
4) the 883 is quality. Brighter than the 773 and still very sharp. Coatings are great. Easy to glass through (I bought an eye patch... So good).

Best value: 663ed
Best spotter: 883

I'll be dragging that 883 around on a sheep hunt this summer. The weight will be worth it and hopefully we can rule out sheep from behind the glass vs hiking hours to get close enough to make the same call.

If you're between the swaro 65 and the 773 then you get the 773. It's better.

If you're between the 773 and 883, that's tougher. 773 is great. If you want to be glassing at 60x during dawn and dusk then you'll benefit from the 883 over the 773.

Any Q's, flip me pm

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

This whole quote is pretty much the nail on the head. Couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
For hunting the lower 48 my 55 will always be in my pack, my 77 is great for everything else.

If I hunted goat and sheep I’d take the 77 every time.

dapesche

WKR
I would have to agree with all of the above. Spent time with the 55, 774, and 884 this fall mule deer hunting. I don’t have a whole lot to add to what has been said but would agree with your assessment. I will say, my mom has the kowa 60mm with the 30x fixed eyepiece for birding. Damned if that combo is not overall more pleasant to look through and tack sharp, extremely wide FOV..2oz heavier than my 554 and somewhat bulkier. But it was over $1000 cheaper and the image is better overall. If needing an ultralight spotter on a budget, that combo is excellent and a significant step up from the Nikon ed50 in my opinion.

The 77 series is quite good..if not for the BTX I would still have mine.
that 663 is pretty fantastic.. I regret selling mine.
I'm hoping they come out with that new 663

I really think this is your answer.

Swaro ATX.
It’s modular. Makes these decisions easy.
I’m a huge Kowa fan, but I was in the same situation a few years back. I wanted the “best” but lightweight, different eye piece and so on.
I went ATX with the 65 and the 95. Later picked up the 85.
All over again, I’d do the 65 and 85 and call it a day.

peterk123

WKR
Uggh... you guys had revive this thread.

I keep thinking about the 553. Now I am also considering the 663. I have the 883. Absolutely blown away by that thing. But I keep wondering if I could cut some serious weight with a good compact, a lighter tripod and head. Or just suck it up and lug the 883 around. My setup is a solid 7.5 pounds right now. For summer scouting I would definitely carry the 883 with me since there is no gun on my back, but come hunting, something lighter would sure be nice. I almost feel compelled with the $300 rebate for the 553, but I'm really not sure. I really need to stay away from Rokslide. :(

dapesche

WKR
Uggh... you guys had revive this thread.

I keep thinking about the 553. Now I am also considering the 663. I have the 883. Absolutely blown away by that thing. But I keep wondering if I could cut some serious weight with a good compact, a lighter tripod and head. Or just suck it up and lug the 883 around. My setup is a solid 7.5 pounds right now. For summer scouting I would definitely carry the 883 with me since there is no gun on my back, but come hunting, something lighter would sure be nice. I almost feel compelled with the $300 rebate for the 553, but I'm really not sure. I really need to stay away from Rokslide. :(
I'm waiting for the new 663 to show up. Would be realllly nice if the 883 eyepiece fit that 663 body.