Kodiak Deer limit change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hah. No thanks on SE. I hunted an island off POW years ago. WAY too much jungle for me. Count me as one of the diehard Kodiak kool kids 😆

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I know the thread is about Kodiak but SE gets brought up.

The POW numbers are down. Poor estimations of the wolf population, black bear tags going to draw permit instead of otc for NR as well as a longer season for the locals have all contributed to this.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
does anyone know if this goes into affect this year? or is it next year

Right, but it will not come back for revision until March 2026, unless by chance the board receives an official agenda change request, which isn't likely. So in a nutshell, it's in effect 2023 till 2027.
Wow, didn’t realize the restriction took that long to revisit.
Sucks to be a NR who planned on this hunt for Fall 2023. Hope they can get deposits back, or transfer them to a fishing and waterfowl trip.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, didn’t realize the restriction took that long to revisit.
Sucks to be a NR who planned on this hunt for Fall 2023. Hope they can get deposits back, or transfer them to a fishing and waterfowl trip.

We booked a plane ride back in January. 3 of us each planned on getting 2 tags but we’ll live with having 1. Going to be a fun week chasing deer with a bow, our 2nd trip to the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried posting this on another thread and got no response...seems to be a lot of knowledge here about AK blacktails...so guess I will hijack this thread just a little...

How do you guys that flyout hunt in august keep your deer meat from getting spoiled from the relatively warm weather ??
Seems like quite a challenge.
Thanks for any insights

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Tried posting this on another thread and got no response...seems to be a lot of knowledge here about AK blacktails...so guess I will hijack this thread just a little...

How do you guys that flyout hunt in august keep your deer meat from getting spoiled from the relatively warm weather ??
Thanks for any insights
Well, I don't fly out, but have had 2 day pack outs.

-Game bags (keep bugs off of it)
-Keep it clean.
-Get the skin off as fast as you can.
-Keep as much of the fascia intact as possible (i.e. separate muscles from each other with your fingers and cut the tendons rather than cutting through the muscle).
-Keep it on the bone.
-Hang it in the shade if not packing it.
-If possible, you want a dry crust to form on the meat (Argali game bags promote this better than Caribou Gear game bags, I have no experience with other brands)
-If there is a snow bank, you can bury it in that.

Cool it quickly. If there is a stream nearby, put it in plastic bags and suspend it in the water current. Then remove from plastic, dry it, and place it in dry game bags. Hang in trees if you have them. If not, create a drying crib with a tarp above it, but not on it. You want air flow below and above, but sun and rain off of it. Turn it twice daily.
If it is a fly-out trip and you’ll be out a week or more longer, call your transporter for a meat pick up.

Appreciate the responses...would cooling it off in the salt water work, if camped near the shore?
After getting it hung and dried, how many days do you have before the meat goes off, provided Temps are staying 40 to 60..
Almost all of my big game kills have been in colder weather months where spoilage wasn't an issue.
I really cringe at the idea of losing all that wonderful eating if I am not prepared...

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

Thanks for any insights

I manually vacuum seal and stuff them in a snow bank.

03922691-4408-446A-BE6F-8ADB6391000B.jpeg

That was Aug 3 a few years back.

Salt water cooling should be fine. You have the meat in plastic bag anyway since you do not want to add water, unless you are rinsing it first before drying and placing in a bag.
Rinsing with salt water is fine also if you are needing to get dirt or debris off of the surface. But after initial rinsing, the goal is dry, dry, dry, air, air, air.
Flies that time of year are going to be a problem, so use good bags that don’t let larvae in.

Appreciate the responses...would cooling it off in the salt water work, if camped near the shore?
After getting it hung and dried, how many days do you have before the meat goes off, provided Temps are staying 40 to 60..
Almost all of my big game kills have been in colder weather months where spoilage wasn't an issue.
I really cringe at the idea of losing all that wonderful eating if I am not prepared...

No, don't immerse in water.

1). Peel the hide off.
2). Put the bone-in quarter or entire deer, or halved deer, in breathable game bags.
3). Hang in a shaded location with plenty of ventilation.
4). Cover with a tarp to keep the rain off of it.

You're good to go.

Thanks for the replys....anyone want to take a stab at how many days the meat will keep at low to mid 50's , provided I get it dry, keep it dry and have good air circulation..
I like the idea of stashing it in the snow...but don't think I'll find much of that on afognak or shuyak....

At least a week or more, if you do everything right; skin it, leave it on the bone or in the round (whole or halved carcass), bag it, keep it dry, dry dry; ventilate it really well while also keeping it covered.

bowuntr

WKR
Put it in plastic bags after it cools and sink it in a lake. Been doing it for 20 years and never lost an ounce of meat. Keeps it from the bears as well. Only lost one to a bear this way. Kept one in a lake for 8 days this past August and it kept fine. Ed F

Great information...appreciate you guys willing to share your first hand knowledge....
Has been lot of years since I hunted sbt....need to get that corrected

Status
Not open for further replies.