Kodiak Deer limit change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I always buy two tags and take one deer at most. Don’t need a 4000 mile trip to haul a pile of deer home. I guess now I’ll buy one tag and take at the most one deer. Been going there for 20 years, figured 4-5 years ago that would be the next spot the influencers ruined so decided to go every year while I can before they destroyed it like Arizona. And Colorado. And Idaho.

Still looking forward to November and a spot where I won’t see any people for two weeks.

buzzy

WKR
I wonder how many hunters who have a boat based transporter lined up will now change their mind and not go. Probably not many but I’m sure some won’t think the trip is worth it for just 1 deer.

MattB

WKR
I wonder how many hunters who have a boat based transporter lined up will now change their mind and not go. Probably not many but I’m sure some won’t think the trip is worth it for just 1 deer.
I would think otherwise. I’ve bowhunted Kodiak 5 times and taken 2 deer more often than 1. Being limited to 1 deer flips the decision. As crazy as this may sound, paying ~$6K for the prospect of 2 deer was OK to me but for 1 I will pass.

If this hurts anyone, it's going to be the local businesses, I don't care if the majority of NR hunters only take 1 deer, they want 2+ tags in their pocket to make the trip... I'll go again, but will think twice if there are other opportunities available in November.

LoggerDan

WKR
I approve. Local business will be just fine. Maybe it’ll free up a lot of flights.. Lots of changes up here, and aside from some trapping changes, most is for the better.

kodiak725

FNG
As someone who grew up in and currently resides in Kodiak, I feel it was in part an answer to a different problem. Limiting to one deer will likely discourage the number of transporters hauling people around the island. It has gotten absolutely insane and there are no limits or regulations on the number of transporters operating in an area, nor how many clients they cycle through in an area. Not to mention the boats offering this service are predominately from Homer. Transporting although legal here really is grey area. I don’t believe that anyone could say with a straight face that they aren’t guiding. The truth is winters predominantly determine the deer population, however it’s only a matter of time before the ever increasing pressure starts to impact it as well. I could be completely wrong in my assessment but I think it in part addressed transporting without actually making changes to their regulations.

Rich M

WKR
Why are all the animal populations falling so much? Is it the harvest? Most NR shoot bucks/bulls...

I could be completely wrong in my assessment but I think it in part addressed transporting without actually making changes to their regulations.
I think you're pretty spot on. A transporter even gave comments at the meeting that it's out of control. The pilot I use won't even drop people on the salt after October 1st anymore. Some claim there's a camp every couple miles of shoreline in October and November plus a couple dozen boats. Seems every year in my quick search there are a few new boat operators each time I look. There were a few proposals to limit and restrict transporters in Unit 8 but the board does not have authority to regulate transporter activity. So I agree that's large part of why this action was taken. The same local that submitted those proposals also submitted prop 73.
Why are all the animal populations falling so much? Is it the harvest? Most NR shoot bucks/bulls...
They're not. With social media, youtube, and forums sending more and more people to various places to hunt each year, things eventually need to be restricted. Kodiak has been the place everyone has been talking about as the next great affordable adventure the last few years and now we're seeing the results. No different than when Newberg has a video titled "Why you should he hunting Colorado OTC elk as a NR every year" and then when its overrun and needs a bit of restriction its all the fault of the greedy residents.
According to the public comments, everyone and their dog claims they were cancelling their trip if this proposal went through. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.