Kodiak canvas beware

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Have you ever used your 14'x16' by yourself and what size stove do you have?
I set it up and use it by myself most of the time. This tent has the traditional pole setup and personally I think it's easier to set up solo. I have another Davis 14x16 with the full internal frame and it's doable, but not as easy solo. I sold my stove because I mostly bow hunt during September and a double tank top propane heater works really well for that.

What would you consider a good frame for the Davis tent?
You can buy the angles from most tent shops. I got one set for my 10x12 through The Wall Tent shop. I used the poles and angles from an old shelter logic carport on my 14x16.

ODB

WKR
Sometimes you have to cut your losses. I grow weary of the pandemic excuses or the short staff bs. If companies are committed to qa/qc, they will get back to you. It’s good that you found a replacement company.

Yes, the “since the pandemic” excuse is strong game right now. I reject it every time I hear it, even at my own company.

Last edited:
I have a 14x16 and a 20x14. Setting up the 14x16 is pretty easy, as noted above, about an hour and the wood stove is ready to go. The 20 footer is a whole lot tougher. I still do it by myself but I spend about 15 minutes just warming up my back before I start lifting that heavy SOB up onto the ridge pole. Ive had the tent for twenty years. At 45 years old I didn’t think about it, at 66 I don’t worry about packing elk but I sure as hell have a plan if I blow my back up setting up the big tent.

Gone4Days

WKR
I haven’t had to use Kodiak customer service so I can’t comment on that. But my 10x14 Flexbow has been the best tent i’ve ever had. My davis was good, but partly shrunk and was too much for solo trips. I love my Kodiak!

Hmmmm that sucks. I just ordered the 10x10 wall tent from Kodiak yesterday. Here by Friday, Hope I don't have any issues down the road,

Ope

FNG
That sucks! I was looking at Kodiak tents a few months back, glad I didn't make a decision yet. Thanks for the info.

Fingers crossed! So far no issues or complaints. I just took delivery of a new Kodiak Flex Bow 10X14. The sales depart communications were good, shipping was good and the tent canvas was really nicely stitched and all seems look great. No parts missing, everything went together as it is supposed to. Easy one person set up, first time took me 25 min and that was re-reading the instructions, verifying inventory of parts and inspecting for defects as I set it up. Very satisfied so far. No chance for anything but yard camping for now. I did get it "seasoned" per instructions. no leaks were seen.

NYBackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I have a springbar 10x14, awesome company. I did buy the made in the US version, costs more but I prefer that route. The tent is amazing and so is the customer service. They make a more budget friendly line of tents manufactured in China. They have a profile on their website to introduce the family in China that does their sewing. I thought that was neat if you wanted to go that route. Quick story on customer service. I added a stove jack on my own, the screws were to long and damaged the floor of the shelter while traveling. I reached out, ordered a floor repair kit, they had it to me that week.

I had it up in the Adirondacks on a fishing trip and got hit with one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever been in with no rain fly. I quickly threw a tarp over top and stayed bone dry. The rain lasted 16 hours, the canvas weave did its job - the tarp was barely the footprint of the tent, more for show. This past turkey season I had it in Kentucky and it withstood 35 mph gusts no problem. The base of the tent, where the canvas meets the poly floor has a coated cable around the perimeter where each of the stake eyelets attach to the tent. Very well made. Highly recommend.

tracker12

WKR
I love my Springbar. I have had it for 18 years now and it looks as good as the day I purchased it. Several WY hunts in that wind with no tears. Some times You get what you pay for.

36Fan

FNG
Im hoping things are better at Kodiak now? Im ready to buy a 10x14 and this thread has me a bit concerned.

All I can speak of my recent experience with Kodiak Canvas Tents. I chose to order from Competitive Advantage Products, an authorized rep for Kodiak. Located in Utah, same as Kodiak. Cabela's ordering and inventory system was not working for me a the time. My order was processed and shipped quickly. good communications throughout the process. I have not needed to contact customer service for anything since my purchase. So, I can speak first hand about that. I can tell you I am happy with the tent and quality of work so far. I have now set mine up at least 4 or 5 times in the last couple weeks. Got out camping for an overnighter. No chance to report on how it will weather a major storm. I am glad we went with the 10X14, amazing how quickly you can run out of room when using cots, chairs, folding table, etc. FYI, Ground tarps are back in stock if you want to order one from them. 10 mm thick, not sure if its any better than what you can get else where. Ours should be here in few days and we'll see.

36Fan

FNG
Ordered a 10x14 Super Deluxe from Competitive Edge Products in Utah. Shipping was fast and price was cheaper than anyone else. Set it up in the yard, everything looks good. Ready for future hunting trips.

OP
S

sasquatch

WKR
Im hoping things are better at Kodiak now? Im ready to buy a 10x14 and this thread has me a bit concerned.

Get the springbar. Being I now have both there’s definitely some stronger points.

I wasted 500 on kod oak to then spend another 1100 when mine tore. If I just went spring bar first. I’d be money in pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just picked up my 6 person flex bow 10x10, looks like good quality and cannot wait for September through December this year!!!

FLATHEAD

WKR
Been threatening to get the 10x10 DeeLuxe. Think I may have to order one for my Burffday!!!
Got a couple muzzleloader hunts I'd like to do this year.