Kodiak canvas beware

sasquatch

WKR
So, I’m not one to complain much about equipment or customer service but this one is needed. I use to love my kodiak canvas flex bow. Now I have a diff opinion and I think people should hear it.
Using the tent on a deer hunt in Missouri this year. Probably about the 5th time out hunting with the tent. Some trips are weeks at a time so let’s say this was day 100 or so of use.

Camped out in some relatively open area, and the winds pushed 40mph gust for 2 days. This ended up ripping the tent at the floor seam right in the middle of both sides by the vertical pole.

I was not super surprised as I can’t expect a tall standing tent to withstand anything like that but still, my cabelas guide series wouldn’t have ripped. However that tent comes at sacrificing standing room.

Anyway we made due as it wasn’t raining and finished the trip.

I get home. And start calling them about warranty. Taking a long shot that it would be covered or they at least would sell me just the tent, no poles etc or maybe even repair it for me.

I called 6-8 times over the course of a few weeks. Never getting someone on the phone or a call back from my voicemails that were left.

I finally resorted to an email. Stating the issue and how I’m disgusted with the customer service. I’m trying to see what options I have before I purchase a new tent and throw this one away.

5 days later I get a response asking for my number that they will call me. I promptly responded with that number.

Well, that was 8 weeks ago and I’ve never been called or emailed again.

I am done with them, have now purchased a springbar. Every message I’ve sent them was answered in 24 hours. Kodiak lost a customer forever over that. I’d have been fine hearing that it’s not covered under warranty and being sold just the tent to save a few dollars. I am not very picky, but I do expect to be responded to.

I use to recommend their tents but that is now over with. Anyone looking to save money, I suggest a factory second springbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Pre-covid they would answer. Then covid hit and they went silent. I was supposed to get a new end piece for a pole over a year ago, but they stopped responding. Luckily, I can rig it to work.

If my 12x12 ever becomes fubar ill just get an all canvas/floorless tent.

svivian

WKR
Thats a bummer, they were awesome a few years ago when i got a small tear in my tent because of my own fault. They sent me everything i needed plus some at no cost.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Thats terrible to hear. I’ve been thru hell in my 10x14 with only one grommet failing, and that was with 50(?) gallons of water in the awning. They sent a piece of canvas the day I got cell service, free 99. I’ll hunt down the help desk guy’s email address if you’re interested.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lots of customer service issues sence covid.
Also lots of shitty attitudes i have noticed at a lot of places.
I think a lot of customer service went remote and they were working from home at a lot of places and it went all to hell. I know the company I work for did that and some of the customer service reps were calling people back late at night. They were doing whatever they wanted all day. Ticked a lot of people off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
Companies don't want to pay people to provide service. They only want to pay people to increase sales and they don't see or care about the correlation because it doesn't have an immediate impact on earnings.
Larger companies outsource customer service to call centers. Smaller companies use voice mail. Both suck.

OP
S

sasquatch

WKR
I’ve tried email one last time last week and still no response.

I’ve given up and cut my losses. Tent went into the trash and I will now be a springbar user until something there changes.

Oh well, I got 5 years of use out it.

I’ve tried email one last time last week and still no response.

I’ve given up and cut my losses. Tent went into the trash and I will now be a springbar user until something there changes.

Oh well, I got 5 years of use out it.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses. I grow weary of the pandemic excuses or the short staff bs. If companies are committed to qa/qc, they will get back to you. It’s good that you found a replacement company.

Montana Canvas, had a similar problem with a 20 year old tent that is set up 20 to 30 nights a year. Phone was answered immediately, repair kit sent the next day, two follow up calls to clarify best technique for making repairs, and an apology because the repair material wont perfectly match a well used 20 year old tent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was not super surprised as I can’t expect a tall standing tent to withstand anything like that but still, my cabelas guide series wouldn’t have ripped.
My Cabela's Guide Tent ripped right where one of the hook connectors was, and that was just from trying to connect it to the pole.

I've had my 14x16 Davis wall tent up during some pretty intense wind. In 2013 and 2017 the wind was toppling and even breaking trees (all week in 2013, and for 2 days in 2017) and the tent stood tall through it. In June 2016 we were in the big campground in Yellowstone. We were the ONLY people there with a wall tent. While were out, a storm came through. When we got back, the tent was as we left it, yet the majority of all those small dome tents were gone or laying flat. I've been pretty impressed with what these wall tents can withstand. We even had 15" of rain in 2013 during the season......completely dry inside even without a rain fly. This tent is 14 years old now, with 30-40 days/year set up.

The Springbar should be higher quality than the Kodiak.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
My Cabela's Guide Tent ripped right where one of the hook connectors was, and that was just from trying to connect it to the pole.

I've had my 14x16 Davis wall tent up during some pretty intense wind. In 2013 and 2017 the wind was toppling and even breaking trees (all week in 2013, and for 2 days in 2017) and the tent stood tall through it. In June 2016 we were in the big campground in Yellowstone. We were the ONLY people there with a wall tent. While were out, a storm came through. When we got back, the tent was as we left it, yet the majority of all those small dome tents were gone or laying flat. I've been pretty impressed with what these wall tents can withstand. We even had 15" of rain in 2013 during the season......completely dry inside even without a rain fly. This tent is 14 years old now, with 30-40 days/year set up.

The Springbar should be higher quality than the Kodiak.
This is good to hear because I was considering a Cabelas or Kodiak but then ordered a 12'x14' Davis wall tent. My only apprehension is that it will mostly be used for solo hunting and I am concerned about setting up such a big tent by myself. I also got the medium sized stove (the ridge) which is supposedly 95 pounds. Have you ever used your 14'x16' by yourself and what size stove do you have?

This is good to hear because I was considering a Cabelas or Kodiak but then ordered a 12'x14' Davis wall tent. My only apprehension is that it will mostly be used for solo hunting and I am concerned about setting up such a big tent by myself. I also got the medium sized stove (the ridge) which is supposedly 95 pounds. Have you ever used your 14'x16' by yourself and what size stove do you have?
If you have a good frame, setting them up solo isn’t bad. I can do my 14x16 from back of the truck to complete set up in about 45 minutes.

I'm in the market for a tent like this and was trying to decide between Kodiak or Spring Bar. Decision just got easier.