Knives!

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see custom makers names floating through this post. My knife is the forged knife in the middle. 1084 with black oxide finish with desert ironwood. I built it for an elk hunt. The other two were for customers. Edge geometry and retention are key for your knife performance in the field.
That is a sweet one. Of the three, the middle one is my favorite.
I have one that is similar, it was by TK Steingass who is an ABS Master Smith, he called it his "Blue Bayou".
Lately, any A2 knife I acquire, I have etched. I do not mind a patina on carbon steel knives but the etching kinda changes the equation.
BTW, I zoomed the picture and IMHO that is a very unusual piece of desert Ironwood with which you hafted that knife. My experience is limited, but I don't recall seeing another with the light coloration in the wood.
The knife on the left looks to be hafted with "root beer" linen micarta. What is the composition of the scales on the knife on the right.
Also, it seems to me that the left and right knives are stock removal and have a hollow grind. Does the knife in the center have a flat grind?
Luv to hear more details as to dimensions of the knife you forged for yourself, if you have the time and are of the mind!
Best,
GWB

That is a sweet one. Of the three, the middle one is my favorite.
I have one that is similar, it was by TK Steingass who is an ABS Master Smith, he called it his "Blue Bayou".
Lately, any A2 knife I acquire, I have etched. I do not mind a patina on carbon steel knives but the etching kinda changes the equation.
BTW, I zoomed the picture and IMHO that is a very unusual piece of desert Ironwood with which you hafted that knife. My experience is limited, but I don't recall seeing another with the light coloration in the wood.
The knife on the left looks to be hafted with "root beer" linen micarta. What is the composition of the scales on the knife on the right.
Also, it seems to me that the left and right knives are stock removal and have a hollow grind. Does the knife in the center have a flat grind?
Luv to hear more details as to dimensions of the knife you forged for yourself, if you have the time and are of the mind!
Best,
GWB
Thank you. All of those knives were forged, the left and right knives were finished out. The middle knife is a brute de forge. Good eye on the grinds. The handle on the middle knife has ironwood sapwood on it. That’s the light color. The left handle material is tan linen micarta. The right handle material is sea cow rib bone. My knife has a 4” cutting edge, OAL is 8.25”. TK is a talented maker and ABS member.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
10/4.
Bear with me, as I'm actually going somewhere with this response.

I've been fortunate enough to acquire a number of "one off" knives from Gene Ingram. His knives are stock removal and Gene does not do bolsters/guards. He knows that I am enamored of skinning knives. He alerted me to the tome pictured below.......
DQh8WQY.jpg

On page 131 of that tome, I found one that I thought would be cool to have created by him, A2 steel and he pick the dimensions and scales.

Here is what he came up with.......

Ur03VGd.jpg

27Mli2F.jpg

Rib bone from a Steller's Sea Cow for the scales.

And one more with one of his "Kingfishers", also in A2, and desert Ironwood. Don't know if you can tell but the Kingfisher has been used a lot.

Vmk7vSd.jpg

I dabble in leatherwork and made the sheath for two other A2 steel knives by O'Neill.

ya!

GWB

Great book! I’m a skinning knife enthusiast myself.

That’s a classic butcher knife profile. I’m sure it’s used a lot in your kitchen. I also make all of the sheaths for my knives as well. I still prefer to do it “old school” and hand stitch all of my sheaths. Here they are for the above mentioned knives.
620F9F9B-53BD-4606-A1B9-A0389C71FF96.jpeg

Looks like you are a knife enthusiast as well. Glad to share stories and pics.

Here’s a guarded camper I made for a customer with presentation grade ironwood. 7CD50BFC-03C3-4687-AD9E-85D5F7965677.jpeg
DB

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
10/4 on the stitching.
Most of the time I ask the maker if he would have a problem with me creating my own sheath for the knife he is crafting.

I did a DBA when I started buying tools and leather. It is NRFPT Leather, which is an acronym for "Not Ready For Prime Time"

Ya' learn real quick how much money one can have tied up in tools and consumables, and trying to make money hand stitching, fuggedabowdit. Besides, for me it is enjoyment, I don't need or want a job. Sometimes I'm asked to do a piece, and I beg off saying that my work is "not ready for prime time". LOL

35wBP9s.jpg

0hwiClf.png

oW2Tk7x.png

tLgE44O.png

and one I did early on for a special blade.

vUSi2wR.png

The Capstone of my Mike Williams MS trifecta of Leaf Pattern Damascus blades, A Quillon Dagger
Not only is the blade forged but so is the handle!
I call the combo, "The Dragon's Kiss"!

ya!

GWB

prm

WKR
Great book! I’m a skinning knife enthusiast myself.

That’s a classic butcher knife profile. I’m sure it’s used a lot in your kitchen. I also make all of the sheaths for my knives as well. I still prefer to do it “old school” and hand stitch all of my sheaths. Here they are for the above mentioned knives.
View attachment 291907

Looks like you are a knife enthusiast as well. Glad to share stories and pics.

Here’s a guarded camper I made for a customer with presentation grade ironwood. View attachment 291909
DB
Love that Iron Wood. Saw a fair amount of that on a hunt in S. Africa.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
A few, in various stages of use.........

5eE9opO.png

Mike Williams "Hunter", Leaf Pattern Damascus, Dyed Sambar Stag Scales

Radf7RY.png

Loveless "Lambs" repro's by TK Steingass, Ivory Linen Micarta, 154 CM steel.

Yy6GzWj.png

Menefee Made semi-skinner, Micarta scales, etched A2 steel

SBow33M.png

Gene Ingram, Modified Nessmuk, Desert Ironwood, Etched A2 steel

HBVzKbT.png

Modified Nessmuk Set, Dale Howe, Howe Mountain Knives, Weathered Elk scales, Etched A2 steel

CGmN9Sv.png

Todd Thayn, modified Bull Nose Skinner, Buffalo horn scales, weathered L6 Steel,

vnDqHU4.png

I call this one "Miller Time", a few by an Oklahoma knifemaker, Mike Miller

ya!

GWB

Last edited:

prm

WKR
A few........

JTIGfma.png

Rams Horn & 3V steel, Howe Mountain Knives (Dale Howe)

UuM2iCK.png

TK Steingass Hunters, Presentation Ironwood and 154CM

FhgpApE.png

Nessmuk set by Gene Ingram, Desert Ironwood, etched A2 steel

X5ijPFr.png

Lil' Dumplin, Menefee Made, Rick Menefee, Westinghouse Blue Line Micarta, 154CM steel

o6PwPPK.jpg

Birthday Knife, Todd Thayne. Spalted Pecan, Weathered L6 steel

ya!

GWB
That lower TK Steingass Hunter...A man can dream! Sure looks like a nice knife for breaking down an elk or muley.

The Canadian belt knife have been excellent skinners for decades and have many modified versions from the original design. They are very comfortable in the hand. This is my version from years ago. CPM154 with India Sambar Stag. Hollow ground. Hand finish 2000 grit.
91293145-F78B-445C-8FBE-5BB3A4B9585C.jpeg

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I like something like this for skinning but closer to this for meat processing.

I use the smaller skinnier one for whitetail and love it.

I use 0-1 steel and made these 2. But you get the idea. Something designed to excel at the intended task. Just get something that is ergonomic with a good thin blade and change to something else if it isn’t working for you.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
The Canadian belt knife have been excellent skinners for decades and have many modified versions from the original design. They are very comfortable in the hand. This is my version from years ago. CPM154 with India Sambar Stag. Hollow ground. Hand finish 2000 grit.
View attachment 292434
Very Nice!
What are the dimensions as to OAL, blade length.

BTW, Jerry Fisk always sez' "Keep the pointy end away from you" LOL
But what does he know???
Obviously, he has not seen those!

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
This picture shows the size a little better. I think it’s a 3.25” blade.

For elk I think I’d want a little larger blade like this one possibly.

Very Nice!
What are the dimensions as to OAL, blade length.

BTW, Jerry Fisk always sez' "Keep the pointy end away from you" LOL
But what does he know???
Obviously, he has not seen those!
Lol. JF has said that many times.
OAL is 7”. The blade is 3.25”
Very few of my orders want a cutting edge over 4” for skinning deer/hogs. The outfitters out west like 4-5” blade lengths.
Like you, I’ve tried many different knives on hogs/deer and keep going back to what profiles work for me.

Looks like you use a variety of blade lengths also.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you use a variety of blade lengths also.

10/4.

I'm sure you have heard the expression in regards to being in a bar, "they all get prettier by closing time (AKA Beer Goggles). I confess, I'm a knife slut and have succumbed to desire while wrapped in the arms of Bacchus on more than one occasion.
To boot, I probably ruin the collector value of my knives as I am a user/collector, and over time my interest in blade styles and lengths has expanded.

tue4NMO.png

A few from my Menefee Made collection.

One thing about which I am pretty much consistent is the length of the handle.

P8OALyN.png

I don't have especially big hands, but I like the handle to be a minimum of 4"

ya!

GWB

wildcat33

WKR
10/4.

I'm sure you have heard the expression in regards to being in a bar, "they all get prettier by closing time (AKA Beer Goggles). I confess, I'm a knife slut and have succumbed to desire while wrapped in the arms of Bacchus on more than one occasion.
To boot, I probably ruin the collector value of my knives as I am a user/collector, and over time my interest in blade styles and lengths has expanded.

tue4NMO.png

A few from my Menefee Made collection.

GWB

Menefee damascus on the black drop point? Or etched A2?

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
Menefee damascus on the black drop point? Or etched A2?

QZNfnqH.png

Damascus, with Jigged G-10 scales, thin red liners, tapered tang......

IIRC, Rick told me that he had visited a maker that forged his knives and that that blade was the first forged damascus that he had made. If you notice, his maker's mark is different on this one vs. his stock removal knives. First time I saw the blade the image of a monkey was the first thing that struck me. Crazy, but I call it the "monkey puzzle" damascus knife.

pEgeDTt.png

Lu2lrda.png

XYdogUm.png

rC43Nyp.png

0Hs10Nz.png

VofZ5a0.png

ya!

GWB