Knives!

Check out the Iron Will k1 knife at just one ounce and the new k2 skinner. They worked great on my caribou last week!

View attachment 209558

How long do the Iron Will Knives hold an edge for, and how hard are they to resharpen?

Been disappointed with my Kestrel set, maybe that's why they stopped making them...

How is that altitude at resharpening. I hear holds an edge real well
Its really easy to touch it up, i use the same bench sharpening setup i got for my valkyrie broadheads and it just takes a couple passes on a paper wheel. Id imagine it'd take a long time to sharpen s90v if you were to let it get super dull tho since its very tough

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How long do the Iron Will Knives hold an edge for, and how hard are they to resharpen?
This will vary by user. I've been able to completely skin, quarter, and debone an elk and then a deer with one before needing to resharpen, but I would say the average user will typically get through one elk no problem. To me, A2 tool steel at 60 HRC hardness has excellent edge retention and toughness but can still be touched up on a stone fairly easily compared to higher vanadium steels.

4and1

FNG
I'm not a knife collector, I have the common Buck, CaseXX, Camilus stuff. Have you guys watched the Forged in Fire show, and the abuse they test the knives? I doubt any of the knives I have to hold up well to that sort of thing. Would these customs talked about here?

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
A few........

JTIGfma.png

Rams Horn & 3V steel, Howe Mountain Knives (Dale Howe)

UuM2iCK.png

TK Steingass Hunters, Presentation Ironwood and 154CM

FhgpApE.png

Nessmuk set by Gene Ingram, Desert Ironwood, etched A2 steel

X5ijPFr.png

Lil' Dumplin, Menefee Made, Rick Menefee, Westinghouse Blue Line Micarta, 154CM steel

o6PwPPK.jpg

Birthday Knife, Todd Thayne. Spalted Pecan, Weathered L6 steel

ya!

GWB

The JA Henckels on top has always been with me for about 40 years now and is on me for every hunt. The Grohmann #1 in the middle or the #3 have been seeing more duty the last few years. They've become my go to's. They're nothing fancy, but I can get them all surgery sharp and they stay that way. I just give them a few licks on a strop after each animal and they're ready to go again.

I don't have any customs, but I do have a bunch of Bark Rivers, Wrights, KOAs, Pumas, Blackie Collins.....

Attachments

• 20180924_092516 (1).jpg
    20180924_092516 (1).jpg
    246 KB · Views: 39
A few........

JTIGfma.png

Rams Horn & 3V steel, Howe Mountain Knives (Dale Howe)

UuM2iCK.png

TK Steingass Hunters, Presentation Ironwood and 154CM

FhgpApE.png

Nessmuk set by Gene Ingram, Desert Ironwood, etched A2 steel

X5ijPFr.png

Lil' Dumplin, Menefee Made, Rick Menefee, Westinghouse Blue Line Micarta, 154CM steel

o6PwPPK.jpg

Birthday Knife, Todd Thayne. Spalted Pecan, Weathered L6 steel

ya!

GWB

I see you made the move over from the Fire. Welcome! Your knives look just as pretty here.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you sir!
I do not post on many sites these days. I came upon this one while doing a search in regards to the SuperHogster thermal. It caught my attention immediately. I live 30+ miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, which is flat and hot. Being a "flatlander" I find many of the photos of the western states and that style of hunting I've seen here to be amazing. So far it has been a very enjoyable experience!

Best,
GWB

Love a good gutting blade style knife. Great for hide work and skinning.
Havalon for the actual work.

Love this combo. I've tried other knife combos but this does exactly what I need.

tuk

FNG
I love sog knives. i carry sea l Xr in the woods. I carry an escape for work.

Glad to see custom makers names floating through this post. My knife is the forged knife in the middle. 1084 with black oxide finish with desert ironwood. I built it for an elk hunt. The other two were for customers. Edge geometry and retention are key for your knife performance in the field.

Attachments

• A4D39909-6C5F-498A-9D73-74D162A2EEA7.jpeg
    A4D39909-6C5F-498A-9D73-74D162A2EEA7.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 071CC1A5-B527-44DD-BD3F-1F47F42CA92A.jpeg
    071CC1A5-B527-44DD-BD3F-1F47F42CA92A.jpeg
    589.7 KB · Views: 53