Knight Ultralite 50 caliber

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
I'm not sure.
Just hold down on the heart.
Muzzleloader is a late season gig for me.
Getting to 150 was very difficult with crunchy snow.
They were typically already alerted at 350-500 yards.
Getting a shot was very difficult.
Yes, seems like that should work. Was just curious as I plan to start the sight in process at 50 yards. I had the same issue this past year with the crunchy snow in November, was miserable. Still hoping most of my shots will be no more than 75 yards if conditions cooperate but the ability to reach out a little more would be nice if my eye sight is able. Time for the range to create my own trajectory chart. Thanks for info!

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
I am starting to order supplies and will try various load combinations but 1st try I am planning is the .503 Bullshop 400gn lgp over either 75-80gn by volume 2f 777 or 90-95gn by volume 2f Pyrodex both with MMP BBSP. Using Musket Cap to start but may change to #11 if waterproofing issues. Majority of my shots in thick Idaho have been 50 yards or under with just a few over 100 yards. Hoping this will be good bull elk medicine if it shoots accurately. Wondering if @sabotloader or anyone else has ballistic chart with Bullshop 400lgp conical with similar load? Time to play at the range. Thanks for all the input and any further is appreciated.

I am starting to order supplies and will try various load combinations but 1st try I am planning is the .503 Bullshop 400gn lgp over either 75-80gn by volume 2f 777 or 90-95gn by volume 2f Pyrodex both with MMP BBSP. Using Musket Cap to start but may change to #11 if waterproofing issues. Majority of my shots in thick Idaho have been 50 yards or under with just a few over 100 yards. Hoping this will be good bull elk medicine if it shoots accurately. Wondering if @sabotloader or anyone else has ballistic chart with Bullshop 400lgp conical with similar load? Time to play at the range. Thanks for all the input and any further is appreciated.

I use that bullet and it has really performed well for several of us. But, I shoot it with a 100 grains of T7 using a MMP Sub-base under the bullet as a wad.

400gr-BS-100.jpg

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
I use that bullet and it has really performed well for several of us. But, I shoot it with a 100 grains of T7 using a MMP Sub-base under the bullet as a wad.

400gr-BS-100.jpg
Thank you so much for this chart, just what I was looking for. I was guessing about 2 inch high at 50 would be about right and it appears so with the hotter load. Do u experience any leading or much crud ring with that load- swabbing between each shot required? Are you shooting that out of your ultralite as well with MSM spitfire nipple? Last question- is the wad I mentioned in post above different than what u are using- hoping I didn’t order the wrong thing…So appreciative of your time on this topic!

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG

400gr-BS-100.jpg
This is what I ordered:
50 Cal BBSB Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base/50 pcs:
$8.51 x 5 = $42.53

Dented

WKR
That MMP sub base was a game changer for me. I've got an UL load for Thor 300 grain lightening, I'll be chasing that 400 grain Bullshop load with FFG 777 next week. Post updates, I'll do the same.

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
That MMP sub base was a game changer for me. I've got an UL load for Thor 300 grain lightening, I'll be chasing that 400 grain Bullshop load with FFG 777 next week. Post updates, I'll do the same.
Sounds good, let me know. I will be just a bit waiting for supplies and finding a free Friday that I can get to the range. Looking forward to it though!

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
That is the correct product..

MMP_Sub-Bridge-Composit.jpg

This is a 400 LGP recovered from elk at 160 yards

Bullshop-503x400-LGP.jpg

The sub base has worked great for me shooting any non sabotless full bore bullets with T7 or BH

MMP_Sub_Base_1.jpg
Do u experience any leading or much crud ring with that 100 vol load- swabbing between each shot required? Do u feel the sub base is needed with pyrodex? Are you shooting that out of your ultralite with MSM spitfire nipple? I would hope 75-85 vol of 777 will be sufficient for elk up to 150 yards if I need to tame the recoil a bit from the 100 vol- accepting a less flat trajectory in return Thank you!

Do u experience any leading or much crud ring with that 100 vol load- swabbing between each shot required? Do u feel the sub base is needed with pyrodex? Are you shooting that out of your ultralite with MSM spitfire nipple? I would hope 75-85 vol of 777 will be sufficient for elk up to 150 yards if I need to tame the recoil a bit from the 100 vol- accepting a less flat trajectory in return Thank you!

Know I really do not experience a leading problem. I attribute that to the NASA lube that Dan uses on his bullets. If you are igniting with caps you really do not need to patch after a shot or several shots. If you are using a 209 ignition then at some point a damp patch will be needed.

Yes, from an Ultra lite and other Knight DISC's. And I do prefer the Spitfire nipple because the cap fits so tight that it becomes nearly a water proof breech.

Another good point is not to use a real petroleum oil in your bore. I use only synthetic oils.

I am almost sure that 75 - 80 would work for you especially if you were shooting T7-3f. It burns faster and a bit cleaner.

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
Know I really do not experience a leading problem. I attribute that to the NASA lube that Dan uses on his bullets. If you are igniting with caps you really do not need to patch after a shot or several shots. If you are using a 209 ignition then at some point a damp patch will be needed.

Yes, from an Ultra lite and other Knight DISC's. And I do prefer the Spitfire nipple because the cap fits so tight that it becomes nearly a water proof breech.

Another good point is not to use a real petroleum oil in your bore. I use only synthetic oils.

I am almost sure that 75 - 80 would work for you especially if you were shooting T7-3f. It burns faster and a bit cleaner.
Greatly appreciate all of this. Your knowledge has already put me far ahead saving me a lot of money/time trying various things as well as making an ethical kill. Feel free to stop responding to questions at any time because I seem to have a never ending supply. Sounds like your preferred elk load out of 50 ultralite is Bullshop 400 with subbase and 100gn vol 2f 777 with #11 RWS and MSM spitfire nipple. Have you tried the bullshop 445? I know you have used the 460, guessing with a little less powder?? Is the 400gn with 100 vol 777 lighter in recoil or negligible difference. What synthetic oils do you use? When sighting/shooting do u just swab when loading becomes difficult or more consistently for better groupings? Thank u

Greatly appreciate all of this. Your knowledge has already put me far ahead saving me a lot of money/time trying various things as well as making an ethical kill. Feel free to stop responding to questions at any time because I seem to have a never ending supply. Sounds like your preferred elk load out of 50 ultralite is Bullshop 400 with subbase and 100gn vol 2f 777 with #11 RWS and MSM spitfire nipple.
Correct - that really works well for several of us.
Have you tried the bullshop 445?
No, I have not shot the 445 at all. I did order some Bull Shop 350 grain lead conicals and shot them. they shot really well. I thought I might use them on deer. But, I remained with the 400 for elk and deer. It really is to big for deer, in my mind.
I know you have used the 460, guessing with a little less powder?? Is the 400gn with 100 vol 777 lighter in recoil or negligible difference. What synthetic oils do you use? When sighting/shooting do u just swab when loading becomes difficult or more consistently for better groupings? Thank u

Yes, I started out with the 460. But later found the 400 worked equally well and it had flatter trajectory.

90460MTNEx.jpg

I use Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner on a bore snake as the final step in cleaning.

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Another thing I do and works very well for me - Wrapping the breech plug

Blue-Monster-Wrap.jpg

Another thing you might want to do is create a bit on a stick for cleaning the flash channel in the breech plug. Use a 5/32" drill bit. You will find that you can build up a carbon deposit in the flas channel.

Long-BP-Cleaner.jpg

Hope some of this helps a bit.

I love questions! Especially if I can answer them!

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
Correct - that really works well for several of us.

No, I have not shot the 445 at all. I did order some Bull Shop 350 grain lead conicals and shot them. they shot really well. I thought I might use them on deer. But, I remained with the 400 for elk and deer. It really is to big for deer, in my mind.

Yes, I started out with the 460. But later found the 400 worked equally well and it had flatter trajectory.

90460MTNEx.jpg

I use Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner on a bore snake as the final step in cleaning.

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Another thing I do and works very well for me - Wrapping the breech plug

Blue-Monster-Wrap.jpg

Another thing you might want to do is create a bit on a stick for cleaning the flash channel in the breech plug. Use a 5/32" drill bit. You will find that you can build up a carbon deposit in the flas channel.

Long-BP-Cleaner.jpg

Hope some of this helps a bit.

I love questions! Especially if I can answer them!
It helps a lot, thank you! You prefer the jar or aerosol on your birchwood scrubber patch or either? I like the breech plug wrap idea. Many thanks and likely more questions to come.

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
Is it critical to always clean the gun the same day if fired once with 777…i.e. miss an elk while hunting, do I need to make sure it is cleaned that night?

Dented

WKR
I haven't cleaned the same day, and I have not seen any adverse effects. No pitting, nothing. I do typically clean within 2 days, and the same day when I can.

Is it critical to always clean the gun the same day if fired once with 777…i.e. miss an elk while hunting, do I need to make sure it is cleaned that night?

I have not found this to be the case when shooting T7. It IS corrosive but not near as corrosive as other BP subs.

I use to use t7 A LOT and nver found cleaning a barrel an immediate need. It really depends on the the humidy or if the bore was exposed to water.

It will react quicker in Blued rifle barrels versus true stainless barrels. Nitride barrels are even stronger versus corrosion.

I shoot the 460ge NE out of my Knight Ultralight. 80gr of FFF 777, with Ballistic Sub-Bridge. Have taken 6 cows with it. Everyone was DRT. Love this combo. I think the ballistic sub-bridges really help the bullet engage the rifling.

Good luck

OP
E

Elkaddict

FNG
I shoot the 460ge NE out of my Knight Ultralight. 80gr of FFF 777, with Ballistic Sub-Bridge. Have taken 6 cows with it. Everyone was DRT. Love this combo. I think the ballistic sub-bridges really help the bullet engage the rifling.

Good luck
Awesome, thanks for this info. What diameter/size do you order for your 460gn NE?