Kitchen renovation appliances

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through a major high end kitchen remodel. Bought Sub Z, installed by their contractor. Came a bit crooked from the factory, they don’t line up, confirmed as a defect by their troubleshooter, yet they are refusing to repair or replace as of now. They work fine, great actually, but paying that much for a refrigerator it should be perfect aesthetically as per the wife. We’ll see where it goes but at this moment I wouldn’t buy one again.

GE monogram everything else, no issues.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Thermador makes great appliances, and make panel ready models. If a client is not up to spending Wolf/Sub Zero money, it's what I typically recommend (I build custom homes). I've also worked with Meile which are very nice too, albeit definitely a more "modernist" aesthetic.

Sub Zero has the best customer service of any appliance maker, but you pay for it.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thermador makes great appliances, and make panel ready models. If a client is not up to spending Wolf/Sub Zero money, it's what I typically recommend (I build custom homes). I've also worked with Meile which are very nice too, albeit definitely a more "modernist" aesthetic.

Sub Zero has the best customer service of any appliance maker, but you pay for it.
Thanks for the information. I’d get one if I really thought it would save me headaches. But then I also see a post like the one above by @NCTrees.

Do you keep in touch with your homeowners - such that if they had a bad appliance experience a few years later, they would let you know? I could barely get my builder to do his one-time warranty work on the build at the end of year 1, and appliances were understandably not covered (and I’d hope to have not had any appliances go bad in that time).

And what do you have in your house (if you don’t mind me asking)?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Let me jump in. We were able to buy our appliances through a separate company that did the install. They also warranty the work and provide flawless service the only time we needed it and it was so minor. I would try that route if you can.

I'll echo others that Thermador has a great reputation and a brand to consider if it fits your needs/interests.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I would shy away from Sub-Zero fridges. Ours has been nothing but trouble. Yeah, the 12 year warranty is great, along with their customer service. But when you have to employ it every other year it gets a bit annoying, kind of like buying anything Vortex. Bosch I can't recommend either. Their dishwashers are garbage.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through this last year. Went with a Thermador cook top and love it. Didn't do anything else thermador as really expensive and were 6 months out on oven. Oven and refrigerator are Cafe and have had zero issue. Like others have said everything i read said stay away from Samsung and LG. Didn't change my Bosch dishwasher as it is best dishwasher I've ever owned. Pretty sure Thermador and Bosch are same company. Not regretting the Cafe at all but it's only been 1 year. Some of it is like gear in that "buy once, cry once" makes sense.

Fowl Play

WKR
I am convinced most appliances made today are designed to fail in about 5 years. Can't sell you another one if it lasts forever....

My local repair shop says the same things others have said, stay away from LG and Samsung . For my fridge I actually wound up with a Frigidaire unit with ice in the door AND in the freezer. I fully expect the one in the door to go out eventually, but I can at least still use the one in the freezer -- which is super easy to replace if it fails. Most convenient/fool proof fridge would be only water in the door and ice in the freezer -- never found anything like that.

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
KitchenAid is taking the lead with Mrs fwafwow - for all of them - gas range (downdraft - apparently not common), fridge, icemaker and wall oven microwave combo. They have bundling price breaks. But CR gives 3/5 for reliability and customer satisfaction for KitchenAid.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information. I’d get one if I really thought it would save me headaches. But then I also see a post like the one above by @NCTrees.
We bought two Sub Z’s. Expensive as you can imagine. They work great, but are not flush as installed. Not an issue with the cabinet facing, as admitted by the company.

I have a temper sometimes so it’s generally best the Mrs takes lead on these things….we bought Sub Z based upon reputation. How we’re being treated for our heavy investment in this company based upon their reputation…. well it seems like that rep may be a facade.

~$20k+ investment for a sub par product? Anger makes my mind wander. I wonder where I left that baseball bat? I could sure use some time swinging that bat. In a batting cage of course…to relieve some stress. Perhaps some of that stress comes from paying a diamond price in return for sh!t customer service.

Last edited:

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
KitchenAid is taking the lead with Mrs fwafwow - for all of them - gas range (downdraft - apparently not common), fridge, icemaker and wall oven microwave combo. They have bundling price breaks. But CR gives 3/5 for reliability and customer satisfaction for KitchenAid.
Do you keep in touch with your homeowners - such that if they had a bad appliance experience a few years later, they would let you know? I could barely get my builder to do his one-time warranty work on the build at the end of year 1, and appliances were understandably not covered (and I’d hope to have not had any appliances go bad in that time).

And what do you have in your house (if you don’t mind me asking)?
Hi, yes I stay in close contact with my clients. Both Meile and Thermador have performed very well. As for my own home? We have Kitchenaid, all now 11 years old. The refrigerator and range have been great, the dishwasher not so much. It cleans well, but some controls went out right after the five year warranty - however, we know how to make it work without all the electronics working. When I replace it I'll go with Bosch.

Why a downdraft range? Generally not something I'd recommend unless it's the only venting option.

TSAMP

WKR
GE makes some refrigerators in the US, Louisville, KY. That is what we have. It is the one with the ice maker in the freezer drawer, which is on the bottom of the unit. It is not CD / panel ready. It is a standard stand-alone unit.

Whirlpool has no refrigerators being made in the US. I think Frigidaire might still make some in Carolina. We had a Fridgidair, not sure it was USA made, and it was a piece of shit. It had an ice maker in the refrigerator door.

The counter depth units are shallower than the stand-alone units. Measure how big a pizza box you can stick in there. Some are taller than most stand-alone units and that makes up for some interior space.

EDIT: Whirlpool is still making fridges in Iowa. I think it may be french door models, and maybe counter depth models only.
Whirlpool and kitchen aid fridges both are made in Iowa. I actually have installed automation equipment in this facility and got a free fridge out of the deal. Its going on 14 years old and still functions as intended.

It's not the prettiest facility on earth but I'll go that route again when it's time.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Hi, yes I stay in close contact with my clients. Both Meile and Thermador have performed very well. As for my own home? We have Kitchenaid, all now 11 years old. The refrigerator and range have been great, the dishwasher not so much. It cleans well, but some controls went out right after the five year warranty - however, we know how to make it work without all the electronics working. When I replace it I'll go with Bosch.

Why a downdraft range? Generally not something I'd recommend unless it's the only venting option.
We already have the KA dishwasher, and so far (knock on wood) it's been fine. I think we are set on KA for all of the items, but I've been tasked with deciding on the fridge. We went to an appliance showroom today and saw the SZ and KA, and I may follow-up with them about Thermador and Meile. I pressed the guy on the SZ customer service and he said it's stellar, and my hearing about any problems could be tied to someone being out of a service area. I'm still on the fence, but I have some time - and an inclination for spreadsheets to make even the simplest choices complicated.

As for the downdraft, that's what we have now in the existing island. The island is going to be bigger, but we are trying to keep the modifications to a minimum. An overhead vent would require a good bit of changes.

SWOHTR

WKR
It just doesn't work very well. And the little trap that collects crap is a PITA that you have to clean out.
Interesting. We've had no problems with the couple we have had. Filter cleaning we do 1-2x/month. It doesn't dry plastics all that well, but we don't have a lot of plastics.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
As for the downdraft, that's what we have now in the existing island. The island is going to be bigger, but we are trying to keep the modifications to a minimum. An overhead vent would require a good bit of changes.

If you can do overhead. Do it. #1 some of the nicer vent hoods look amazing. #2 downdrafts suck. #3 its a good time to make the change.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
If you can do overhead. Do it. #1 some of the nicer vent hoods look amazing. #2 downdrafts suck. #3 its a good time to make the change.
Curse you. I guess more info can't hurt. I will ask for an estimate for the change.