Kimber Hunter 308 and Nosler Factory loads

Gone4Days

WKR
I’m looking for good hunting ammunition for my Kimber Hunter 308. I shoot .5” groups with Gold Metal Match target rounds so I know the rifle can be accurate. Core Lokt was acceptable, along with Federal blue box but both Nosler rounds I shot (165 gr accubonds and Ballistic tip) have not grouped well at all. Before spending $$$ on tons of different ammo, can anyone suggest ammo that groups in their Kimber 308?

My next try will be Federal Premium Bonded….

TomJoad

WKR
My best factory groups for my 84m 308 are fed blue box 150 gr. My Kimber groups poorly with most bullets over 150.

I run 137 Hammer Hunters for hand loads lights out.

I can't help you with the Kimber, but I can provide some input on both the 308's my wife and son shoot. One is 1/10 twist and the other 1/12, both will shoot 150gr projectiles with excellent results, wife's shoots lights out with Fed blue box as said above, and son's shoots darn good with Core-Lokt. Wife's gun absolutely hates anything over 150gr, doesn't matter what "quality" the ammo is. Son's rifle is a little better but still shoots unacceptably large groups with anything over 150gr that I've tried. I bought a lot of high dollar ammo for both of these guns when we got them trying to find what they liked.

Whats the twist on your barrel? I have had good luck with Federal Priemium NP and AB 150gr to 180gr back when I bought ammo. I am currently loading both bullets and have no issues.

My Ruger American has 1:10 twist and loves 180 Federal TBT and 175 Terminal Ascent. The latter patterns slightly better for me with consistent 2" groups or better at 200 yards. I'm sure it shoots better than that, but that's as good as I can do. It shoots the Federal blue box 180 well too.

I'm trying some Hornady Match ELD and Browning TMK in 168 grain at the range this or next week.

SDHNTR

WKR
No one’s answer is going to help you. There is no shortcut to this. What someone else’s gun, even the same make/model, shoots well is of zero consequence to you. Every individual gun is unique and will have its own ammo preference. You have to try and try different types until you find what YOUR gun likes. No way around it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Looking back, my Montana 308 actually shot really well with federal Redbox ammo loaded with 180g partitions. Probably not what I’d choose these days but I do remember it being extremely accurate.

I won a 500 yard shooting comp out in some shitty bush village though with the Montana and factory Barnes 150g ammo.

260madman

WKR
I have 2 large frame ARs (1:10) that shoot everything well and really love 168 NBTs. I have a Howa Ranchland Compact (1:12) that shoots 150s and 168s 1-1.25” at 100 yards. I have a Rem 700 (1:12) that shoots everything from 125s to 208s extremely well, .75” or less. Just depends on the barrel.

I admitted I own a gun that is not a consistent .5” shooter at 100 yards, not the usual internet sniper.

OP
Gone4Days

Gone4Days

WKR
No one’s answer is going to help you. There is no shortcut to this. What someone else’s gun, even the same make/model, shoots well is of zero consequence to you. Every individual gun is unique and will have its own ammo preference. You have to try and try different types until you find what YOUR gun likes. No way around it.
I get it and obviously will confirm any suggestions with my rifle. Just looking for suggestions on what to try first instead of tossing a dart at the ammo shelf and buying what I hit.

SDHNTR

WKR
I get it and obviously will confirm any suggestions with my rifle. Just looking for suggestions on what to try first instead of tossing a dart at the ammo shelf and buying what I hit.
Suggestions from someone else who has not shot said ammo through your exact rifle are still dart tosses.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok thanks… you’ve been a tremendous help.
I’m truly not trying to be a jerk, just a realist. There is no way to be genuinely helpful in this scenario. People can spout off all the suggestions in the world, and it might make you feel better, like you’re getting a head start, but in reality, those suggestions are no different than someone else saying, “ Go to the store, grab what ammo they have, and shoot it.” Unfortunately, there’s only one way to do this right. It involves trial and error, no way around it.

Consider this…. I have a friend who has two totally identical matching Remington 700s. Same caliber, same everything. They each favor dramatically different choices in ammunition. Same gun, totally different results. One shoots tiny dime sized groups with Coreloct factory ammo and 2”+ groups most everything else. The other one won’t shoot Corelocts into a 4-5” group, yet shoots Nosler Accubond into acceptable 1” groups and just about everything else into 2”ish groups. And yet I also have the same 700 that loves Barnes TTSX and is picky with other ammo.

So if your thread was titled “What ammo for a Remington 700 30-06?”, what would you want me to tell you? Get my point? Again, no rudeness intended.

OP
Gone4Days

Gone4Days

WKR
I get what you’re saying and am fully aware that any suggestion may not shoot well in my rifle.

Thanks for the info