Killing illegal grizzly cheaper than legal?

I have been in involved in a substantial amount of survey work. (flying wildlife
surveys) mostly in Alaska , but several times down in Wyoming, parts of Montana, Colorado, Idaho, South Dakota, etc.
This included research on calf survival !
A lot of grizzly surveys in Wyoming and Montana.
We were based in Jackson Hole. Western Air Research .
I came to realize over the years that the weather has more impact on prey species numbers than the predators!!

I am editing this post ( refer to post#77) to say that I fully support ethical
hunting of grizzlies and wolves!!!!

Bob

Last edited:
An argument can be made that we have no control over the weather but we can
control the numbers of predators!
If mankind ever gets to the point of being able to control the weather
WE ARE SCREWED!!!

I have been in involved in a substantial amount of survey work. (flying wildlife
surveys) mostly in Alaska , but several times down in Wyoming, parts of Montana, Colorado, Idaho, South Dakota, etc.
This included research on calf survival !
A lot of grizzly surveys in Wyoming and Montana.
We were based in Jackson Hole. Western Air Research .
I came to realize over the years that the weather has more impact on prey species numbers than the predators!!

Bob
We only like science and research when it tells us what we want to believe.

But seriously, my personal feeling has always been that even if they do have an impact, I'll deal with a few less tags to see the charismatic megafauna in their historic range.

Also, not surprised based on tings like quail populations, and last winter and Wyoming antelope.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. I like wild things in wild places.

Crazy huh?

My experience with this when it comes to Grizzlies is that folks are far more supportive of having them on the landscape when it's not actually in their backyard.

Something tells me if you had the chance of getting eaten by a Grizz every time you took your kids or dogs for a walk in the woods your story might change.

Easy to be "supportive" from the safe haven of Texas when they don't affect your life on the daily one single iota.

KenLee

WKR
Not.

I'm not a fan of poachers and with these comments, more than one forum member is supporting the poacher by not condemning his actions. Take these comments and combine them with comments from the recent anti-predator posts, it does not paint a flattering portrait of hunters.
I highly doubt antis are trolling Rokslide for arguments to stop hunting.
They don't use logic or facts.
Also most of the posts you dislike are humor and/or sarcasm

My experience with this when it comes to Grizzlies is that folks are far more supportive of having them on the landscape when it's not actually in their backyard.

Something tells me if you had the chance of getting eaten by a Grizz every time you took your kids or dogs for a walk in the woods your story might change.

Easy to be "supportive" from the safe haven of Texas when they don't affect your life on the daily one single iota.
I'm not in Texas... But I am in the historic range of grizzlies and wolves.

If I could flip a switch and restore them to their historic range, I would.

I've been ten feet from a grizzly. It had no negative impact on my desire to spend time in the places they inhabit.

Reactions: TVW
TVW,
I understand your feelings on this!
However I have had dogs for most of my life.
I don’t take them hunting or backpacking, ever!!
Dogs are bear magnets!
I always have a large caliber handgun with me when I am away from home!
I am surrounded by grizzlies, theoretically!
When I am uncomfortable is when I have to drive to Anchorage!