Kifaru Warranty Not What It Used To Be

BBob

WKR
Maybe it has a little to do with that big giant elephant in the room?
IMG_4228.jpeg
If you haven’t been paying attention a lot of the outdoor industry big and small has been on sale trying to survive the mess of the last handful of years.

I'm glad companies like Vortex and others warranty no matter if it's second hand or not. I gave my buddy an older spotting scope that the eye piece cup came off of. Vortex didn't have any parts for that old scope anymore so they sent him a new upgraded version no cost. Not sure if he paid shipping or not.

WKR
The major change that I see was the jump to a more retail based business mode. Kifaru is available at Scheels, and I'm assuming they sell a very large % of Kifaru's total volume. Scheels takes a %, kifaru's profitability changes and shifts. They're making less $ per pack, but selling more packs... Everything must shift.

They WERE a small, boutique, very high end cottage manufacturer at a very high price point that sold direct to consumer with high profit margins.

They ARE currently trying to maintain that reputation and price point but the business model/volume and profit margins are much different.

It would make for an interesting economics case study but many brands in the outdoor industry have gone this route.

I'm sure the value of the company goes up significantly through such changes, but at some point the consumer sees it for what it is instead of what it used to be.

I'm glad companies like Vortex and others warranty no matter if it's second hand or not. I gave my buddy an older spotting scope that the eye piece cup came off of. Vortex didn't have any parts for that old scope anymore so they sent him a new upgraded version no cost. Not sure if he paid shipping or not.
I also believe it is disingenuous to compare soft goods like packs to hard goods like optics. Fabric doesn't last forever, metal, glass, and plastic darn near do if taken care of.

brando20

FNG
Anyone else deal with Kifaru's warranty service recently? I bought a Bedlam bag off a forum member. It was brand new, never been used when I bought it, I mounted it on my frame and went one two hikes unloaded. Just found out the zipper is separating from the seam. I didn't think it would be a big deal as it was brand new and just bought this spring. I emailed Kifaru right away and was told that because I am the second hand owner, there is no warranty to cover that. I completely get not wanting to have a lifetime warranty for any owner (although I know of lots of outdoor companies that offer that) but a brand new bag that is clearly a manufacturing defect? I've dealt with Stone Glacier and Exo and know both would have covered that without blinking. Hell, Osprey covers pretty much any damage to any owner at any point for any reason. Am I expecting too much? I have tons of Kifaru gear and paid a premium for it but not sure that the name deserves commanding a premium if this is the product they're putting out. Seems to me like times have changed...
Seems to me at the very least they could've offered to split the repair cost with you.