Kifaru vs Stone Glacier; Which is better for long torsos?

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Guys with 19+ inch torsos what’s your experience been with these packs?

I'm not a big guy, but my money would go to Stone Glacier for fitting "longer" dudes. Their founder and lead designer, Kurt, is like 6' 42.5" tall or something crazy and he's obviously going to build them to fit himself. I would call their office and talk to them.

Packs are a lot like shoes in that what is works well for one person may not work well for another.
If you can, try them all.
I’m 6’1. I currently have a kifaru, SG x-curve, and Exo K4. I find the K4 to be the most comfortable with the least amount of slippage of anything I’ve tried yet.

Neither, but that was due to lumbar issues not the torso length. 19 inches isn't out of the ordinary, the popular options around here will work for that if you buy the right size and it works for the rest of your body shape.

Both offer 26” frames.

Might want to check out Seek Outside as well, you can adjust the frame up 28” (or 24 or 26”)

I'm 6'5" tall and have both. I ordered extra long shoulder straps for the SG and it worked ok but the load lifter angle is sub optimal. I bought a Kifaru pack second hand and I am able to get a decent angle on the load lifters when the waist belt is in place. I am waiting to try the kifaru on some longer hikes with a load to see if I will be selling the SG.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I'm 6'4. Run them both. They both work
I'm 6'5" tall and have both. I ordered extra long shoulder straps for the SG and it worked ok but the load lifter angle is sub optimal. I bought a Kifaru pack second hand and I am able to get a decent angle on the load lifters when the waist belt is in place. I am waiting to try the kifaru on some longer hikes with a load to see if I will be selling the SG.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Are you guys using 26" or isn't there a 28" for Kifaru?

Are you guys using 26" or isn't there a 28" for Kifaru?
26" kif frame. The SG frame as is worked. If you are concerned about the kif, give customer service a call. They have always been super awesome and answered all my questions and eased my concerns. And when I got my product they have been correct in their assessment. I believe they can do 28" stays if you're a 30" inseam with an uncommon torso. If that is the case, condolences... I may tower over the common folk but at least I can walk fast.

@Kenneth@Kifaru @loopmtz didn't you guys have a 28" frame at some point, or maybe still do?
We do offer them. Actually built one last week for a guy. We just don't offer them on the website. it is a 28" Tactical frame and aluminum stays. Email me [email protected] and I can help you out. You can also call customer service and they help you as well.

6-2 but my inseam is only 32. My torso is 21 inches.
You would be good with either I am 6'5 and both work for me. The SG was more comfortable with low weight and lighter overall. I also like the built in load shelf, but the kifaru offered more adjustability and load lifting capability with higher weight

Guys with 19+ inch torsos what’s your experience been with these packs?
We do offer them. Actually built one last week for a guy. We just don't offer them on the website. it is a 28" Tactical frame and aluminum stays. Email me [email protected] and I can help you out. You can also call customer service and they help you as well.
Kenneth,
How does one order a 28" frame? I've called Kifaru customer service twice and both times was told they will not sell one. I'm thinking of selling my duplex light frame and trying the SG frame as well. I've also considered basterdizing the duplex flame and trying to lengthen it myself.

Back