Child carrying packs.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I just had my first kiddo a little while ago and am looking for some opinions on packs. I have been looking at some of the osprey packs and some of the other brands. I was hopeful that some people on rokslide could help point me in one direction or another. My goal is to get my daughter out and do some fishing and hiking in the pack. I do not plan on doing any multi-day camping or anything like that but I do plan on being out for full days. I want something that can carry some gear such as extra clothes and snacks/ lunch as well as the usual changes of diapers and other kiddo junk. I know these packs are not going to be as comfortable as a Stone glacier or Kifaru but I am really torn on spending the $400+ on a pack that may only be used for a few years. I want my kid to be safe so I am not opposed to it but just would like your alls opinions and experiences with different packs before dropping a bunch of money. Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

WoodBow

WKR
Check out facebook marketplace. High end kid carriers can be picked up for $100 or less if you are patient.

I have had a couple of different ones. Kelty and Osprey. None of them have suspension systems that will match a quality hunting frame. The belts are kind of a joke. No load lifters. They are ok when kids are smaller but start to suck as they get heavier.

Myself and many other have preferred to disassemble parts off a kid carrier and mount them to our kifaru/exo etc. Much more comfortable.

RONDO264

FNG
Check out facebook marketplace. High end kid carriers can be picked up for $100 or less if you are patient.

I have had a couple of different ones. Kelty and Osprey. None of them have suspension systems that will match a quality hunting frame. The belts are kind of a joke. No load lifters. They are ok when kids are smaller but start to suck as they get heavier.

Myself and many other have preferred to disassemble parts off a kid carrier and mount them to our kifaru/exo etc. Much more comfortable.

2nd that.

I bought one off of Amazon (can't remember the brand) and took it off of its frame and rigged it into my Exo frame. It worked great.

OP
positivepete!

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently searching facebook for a pack. They are still pricy but I think if I am patient I will be able to get one for a good price. Thanks for the info guys!

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
It won't carry extra stuff other than the kid but hands down the best one I've used is a Minimeis. Puts the kid on your shoulders and has a bunch of strapping options for when they are too small to hold them selves in reliably. I've hiked for more miles than I can count with my kids in it and the only issue I have found is when I'm in the timber I gotta be extra careful to duck under branches way farther than I think I need to, as to avoid smacking them. As others have said the kid packs are junk compared to a nice MR, Exo etc pack. Having the weight centered on your shoulders is the way to go in my opinion.

IdahoFF

FNG
I bought a lower model Deuter kid Venture from REI when my son was about 8mo old. He absolutely loved it and still does. Very secure and was comfortable when he was younger. He's now 2 1/2 and the pack isn't quite as comfortable for me. I recently just rigged it up to my SG krux frame and it works like a charm. I agree with the others, shop used first.

I can't add much, but I used a Kelty when our kids were younger. You won't regret it. Our kids and dogs loved it also. Way better than a stroller.