Kifaru internal frame packs

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't seen much on the newer Kifaru internal frame packs, anyone have one?

I know they only build a few models on the new Kutthroat frame. Looking at the Kutthroat or 357 mag packs. Anyone used one?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
I had a Kutthroat. I liked it. It carried weight just fine. It was clear full with my camp and half a buck. I sold it and went to a bigger bag and frame for a longer trip.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
I have a Kutthroat and love it. It’s my go to day pack. I got it about 2 years ago. It’s help pack out a couple elk, a couple blacktails, couple turkeys, and a mule deer. Don’t know how much weight I have had in it but it carried a bone in mature Rosie hind quarter, backstraps and day gear just fine. If I am doing a multi dap trip I switch to my woodsman or emr2 because of size limitations.

Mitten32

WKR
Had a kutthroat and sold it. Love the pack and layout just found it a little small much like @mcr-85 . I would love to see a larger version of the Kutthroat as well as a cutthroat style bag that you can attach their duplex light frame. The gnargali has been tempting for me but I don't feel like it's enough of an upgrade to warrant swamping out my mukseg 7k. The side zip access of the muskeg is awesome. It requires undoing NO BUCKLES :) to operate the zipper. The tarryall is my favorite internal frame pack of Kifaru so far. Still have mine.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was thinking of using it for a day/ over night setup. Want to shoot my bow comfortably while wearing

541hunter

WKR
I think you could definitely do a single night out of it depending on your setup. I shoot my bow with mine on all the time. Last 2 bulls I shot I was wearing my kuthroat

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 357 mag and it's my favorite pack. I also have a 24" duplex lite frame with a few other bags.

I personally find it more comfortable than the duplex frame. This also goes for shooting my bow with it on. I use mine for day trips, shed hunting and hiking with the family.

I have packed out an entire bone in quarters whitetail buck and antelope buck in the main bag. Over 75-80 lbs the weight doesn't carry as well as the duplex frame but does better than a lot of other manufacturersive used over the years. I wouldn't have a problem getting a night or two out of it either.

For me 3500 cu in is the ideal size pack.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Mitten32

WKR
Was thinking of using it for a day/ over night setup. Want to shoot my bow comfortably while wearing

It would certainly work for that. I found it to be considerably more comfortable with lower weight and while shooting than the duplex light frame

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So looking at Kifaru web page, the choices are

Minikeg -- 2800 ci with 22" frame
357 Mag -- 3400 ci with 24" frame
Kutthroat -- 4050 ci with 26" frame

I have a long torso and had a 26" duplex. The Kutthroat seems a bit bigger than a day/ overnighter pack. I think I could get away the size of the Minikeg but packing meat with a 22" frame seems like it would kinda defeat the purpose. Guess I'm leaning towards the 357 mag to fill the gap.

Anyone have any pictures of thier 357 mafia packs?

I have a long torso and had a 26" duplex. The Kutthroat seems a bit bigger than a day/ overnighter pack. I think I could get away the size of the Minikeg but packing meat with a 22" frame seems like it would kinda defeat the purpose. Guess I'm leaning towards the 357 mag to fill the gap.

Allegedly they’re working on a new 3800-4000 ci bag if youre not in a rush?

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few of my 357 mag pictures:

89f3d87e19e5b9f7010717d6a044c2a6.jpg
44bc4ab41d8254b0995c010f4cf833dc.jpg
78048e3ed71118eab880dd376c4d49b2.jpg

Last edited:

Carlin59

WKR

Did the same math about 2 years ago. Lived just down the road from the shop so tried on all three. Already had an EMR2 on a 26” frame, and wanted something a bit shorter as a day hunting pack. Minikeg
wasn’t going to cut it as a daypack+first load out for elk. Decided on 357 with 24” stays, and have been very happy. With the big u zipper, even big quarters can strapped in. EMR 2 for follow up trips if necessary, but 357 will be my most frequently used pack for many years. Also much less ‘strappy’ than some other options.

Last edited:

I own a Kutthroat and a 357 Mag, of sorts; https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/kifarwho-41-mag-a-stretched-357-mag.295376/

Both have a lot to offer and are fairly easy to get a couple nights out of. I prefer the 26" frame of the Kutthroat, even though I have a relatively short torso, and the materials are really nice. Both designs have a great balance of straps and attachment points, and each have their own benefits as far as layout goes.

In the future I'll probably make myself some mutant of the two--Xpac, frame height, main bag of the Kutthroat, with 357 Mag-style side pockets.