Kifaru Bino Harness

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Hold your phone a little bit away from you and it’s fine. I’ll take a magnet all day long. It’s the best, easiest way of keeping it closed. And it’s quiet. I think the magnet messing up the compass is way overblown.

Tried it, wanted to love my OG marsupial and original OV. One of them for sure would mess up my compass in my phone for long periods of time, even after removing the harness from my person. To the point of calling Apple to try to find out how to re-calibrate my compass. Used to you could do that but they removed that at some point. Would mess up headings on Nav apps too. I’ve seen my hunting partners OV send him in the wrong direction, and I wandered around in a swamp one day for half an hour because of an affected compass. That was an iPhone 11 Pro, now have a 14 Pro and I haven’t tested it because I’ve dropped magnetic stuff. I’m not saying my experiences were normal or not partly to blame on bad phone hardware, but they were my experiences.

Love my Marsupial no-mag, but I won’t be buying another magnetic harness or RF holder any time soon.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Tried it, wanted to love my OG marsupial and original OV. One of them for sure would mess up my compass in my phone for long periods of time, even after removing the harness from my person. To the point of calling Apple to try to find out how to re-calibrate my compass. Used to you could do that but they removed that at some point. Would mess up headings on Nav apps too. I’ve seen my hunting partners OV send him in the wrong direction, and I wandered around in a swamp one day for half an hour because of an affected compass. That was an iPhone 11 Pro, now have a 14 Pro and I haven’t tested it because I’ve dropped magnetic stuff. I’m not saying my experiences were normal or not partly to blame on bad phone hardware, but they were my experiences.

Love my Marsupial no-mag, but I won’t be buying another magnetic harness or RF holder any time soon.
Weird. I’ve had zero issues using an apple 10, 13 and 14 with my OV 2nd gen. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hold your phone a little bit away from you and it’s fine. I’ll take a magnet all day long. It’s the best, easiest way of keeping it closed. And it’s quiet. I think the magnet messing up the compass is way overblown.
Completely agree, it seems like I almost have to try to get the magnets close enough to make things act up. It’s a complete non issue to me

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider

I 100% agree. Holding the phone away does nothing to help. Both my Oneplus 7 and now 22 ultra get wrecked by magnets, making navigating in the dark impossible for whitetail. I'll never use magnets again

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
They can also cause loud noises if the lid isn’t opened/closes very carefully.
This is the exact reason why I switched from magnets. While I'm sure it depends on the harness material, I feel like this can be an overlooked issue.

They can also cause loud noises if the lid isn’t opened/closes very carefully.
That’s true for sure, but with a little awareness, that’s not a problem, but you are right, if you are careless, they can be loud.

I have one that can be really loud on my current harness, it’s just an extra reinforcement so the harness can’t bounce open, but if you put your binos away quick and don’t secure that magnet, it will be loud when it clicks into place… when I’m hunting and noise could be an issue, I tuck that tab in so it can’t make noise, but the first day wearing it I knew I had to figure that out because it could have turned into a war story of that big buck getting away 😉

That’s been the only downside I have experienced with magnets, have never had navigation problems with them.

I will say, if function isn’t compromised, I would be happy to not have them. As it is now, my favorite harness that’s currently in production has magnets, so I deal with them… I’m hoping the kifaru harness is what I think it is… I’m not getting my hopes up until I have one in hand… I thought the SG harness was going to be the one, and it ended up being my least favorite I’ve ever used… well, it was tied with the black’s creek harness I bought and never took hunting… both were good in concept and poor in execution

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^^ this mirrors my own thoughts
Using the OG marsupial with magnets still, tried a bunch looking for the prefect one. With a bit of forethought even navigation isn't a problem.
Really want to go with full enclosure and will be trying the Kifaru harness when they release it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

c670809

FNG
I know most rangefinders don't but the kilo 2400 ABS and perhaps others have a compass built in that could be affected by magnets.

I've never personally had a problem but depending on how you use it, it could be a problem.

100%

I’ve never had an issue.

Also google if rangefinders can be goofed up by magnets ;-)

I’ll stick to my magnet Marsupial
I used a marsupial with the magnet about four years and use a range finder every hunt. Never had an issue. But my Leica range finder doesn't have a compass.
i don't use a compass these days so cant say on that but never had a issue with my gps either the few times I used it.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all must have long arms or something. The compass on OnX when turned on to point in the direction I'm heading is thrown off every single time no matter how far I hold it away from my body. The answer I've been given is to turn that feature off but I use that feature non-stop. Excited to see what this no-mag version will look like when released.

Y'all must have long arms or something. The compass on OnX when turned on to point in the direction I'm heading is thrown off every single time no matter how far I hold it away from my body. The answer I've been given is to turn that feature off but I use that feature non-stop. Excited to see what this no-mag version will look like when released.
I have to purposely put my phone close to my harness to see any deviation at all, even with the pointer on. I have heard similar experiences to yours, but it’s never been an issue unless I literally try… with my last 3-4 phones I have been using magnetic harnesses mainly

Like I said, no magnets as long as function isn’t compromised is an obvious good, but I have not had any issues with magnets, but obviously some do, you certainly aren’t the first person I have heard have issues

prm

WKR
The iPhone is calibrated to factor in its own magnets. Placing another magnet nearby can/will mess it up.
So...............how does an IPHONE with MagSafe technology work then? Literally small magnets in a circle inside the phone.

Netherman

WKR
So...............how does an IPHONE with MagSafe technology work then? Literally small magnets in a circle inside the phone.

Magview has the magnet on the optic not the phone. Phone just gets a steel plate.

I’ve not had issues with my phone (IPhone 12) and marsupial case. But do miss having a ball compass pinned to the top of my harness like on my AGC harness. A lot of times in thick timber I just need to go a direction and the compass was way more efficient than a phone. If it can provide marsupial performance without magnets I’m sold.