Kifaru Bino Harness Review

Photos inbound.
aef19dbc96155727e59b35294758b917.jpg

aafb8d7d5db0b4a214cd39f255a2106c.jpg

Yeah. A rangefinder fits, but it’s tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the idea of that.. are you able to attatch the range pouch on the under side or front ? I typically do not like to run the rangefinder on the harness for I hate when it slides around.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of that.. are you able to attatch the range pouch on the under side or front ? I typically do not like to run the rangefinder on the harness for I hate when it slides around.
You could attach to the front for sure. The bottom would be laid flat but I suppose it could work.

The rangefinder pockets won't slide around on this harness.

They also don't slide on the Marsupial if you attach them correctly.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
They seemed to make a big deal about the front nav pouch and how it could hold your phone for map viewing when dropped open. But the way the bino pouch flap folds open and pins to the bottom of the main pouch, doesn't that make those other pouch attachments unusable?

I guess what I am asking is are you reviewing the system/pouches as well since that was kinda their selling point over competition was no magnets and a dedicated nav pouch?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
They seemed to make a big deal about the front nav pouch and how it could hold your phone for map viewing when dropped open. But the way the bino pouch flap folds open and pins to the bottom of the main pouch, doesn't that make those other pouch attachments unusable?

I guess what I am asking is are you reviewing the system/pouches as well since that was kinda their selling point over competition was no magnets and a dedicated nav pouch?

I do not have any of the accessories. Just what you see in the pics above

WBrim

WKR
68c9011417c202a270d55af0b8d28f9b.jpg

I went off this sizing chart.
Also for reference: (if you can see these pics.)
813edb2873337bd535ea0fda891da65e.jpg

d92b15bea7043ecdbc91877ebe26a4f2.jpg

c92cb887f212198001193515e13e1970.jpg

This size chart is different from the one I found to reference on the Kifaru website (which is in the link on your post #18) It makes me a bit concerned, as I use Vortex vipers. This chart shows a small, but the one I used to order recommended a medium. I wonder what went into having different charts.
If your 10x50s are a bit snug, it should be about right for my 10x42s (I hope).

Thanks for all the insight on this. Good info

This size chart is different from the one I found to reference on the Kifaru website (which is in the link on your post #18) It makes me a bit concerned, as I use Vortex vipers. This chart shows a small, but the one I used to order recommended a medium. I wonder what went into having different charts.
If your 10x50s are a bit snug, it should be about right for my 10x42s (I hope).

Thanks for all the insight on this. Good info

I ordered smalls for my SLC 10s and Maven B1.2 8s. But Id rather the harness take a bit to loosen up so I dont have extra room. I used small in marsupial and fhf for both, so I went with small. I also run cups all the way down. If you run them up, that could make a difference.

As far as the website charts....they need some work. Same binos, same size from 8x to 10x show 2 different size harnesses.

Just for a visual representation of how the website charts need work....its shows the SLC 10x42s on the left as medium, and the B6 12x50s on the right as small.

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpeg
    IMG_2892.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

footingit

FNG
Three loops in the back for strap placement.
c697361acf63ca7de49d03ba090ca6e9.jpg

I currently have mine on the top loop.
057fc62f2a5eae28fa94ec08224bf491.jpg

Mesh pocket in the back between you and the harness.
497a12d64db55be2623c97fccca75243.jpg

Three Molly loops on the bottom.
44aa07db7e8d89878968cd56cff2f314.jpg

Two pocket on the underside of the lid
ffa20f7d39c662e3e64ba62d9081cb05.jpg

Another front pocket
fd1280b98eccb964b9cdc6068ae44838.jpg

Front view open
bf1cad3e8176e7c58ea1110e35ca2a0d.jpg

Front view closed
cbaa78f12b3690d2083a410f6a380f97.jpg

Yeah that fit and finish does look disappointing. Lots of uneven edges all around and the PALS webbing looks quite sloppy, especially on the bottom.

My main questions I’d love to see answered in the review:
  1. How well does it work with MOLLE attachments? It looks like attaching items to the front might interfere with the lid. Is the nav pouch still useful with the lid open? Lots of folks will want to know how well the system as a whole works together.
  2. Water / dust resistance
  3. Level of protection / retention. Is it well padded? Does it retain binos well when you’re scrambling, crawling, bending over, etc?
  4. Curious to see how various aftermarket tether options work. Tethers are a must for me and many others, so I’d like to see how easy it is to add something and if it gets in the way at all. Eg reduces retention of the closed lid.

I was really interested in this whole progression. This really misses for me. While I haven’t actually seen one in person, it looks bulky and that top folded down looks like it would stand a good chance of rubbing a bow string. No retention straps is a dealbreaker for me. I’m way too clumsy.

TheTone

WKR
I wish you could get one without the front webbing/molle. I’m pretty minimalist with what I carry in my bino pouch so doubt I would ever add something there

GoatPackr

WKR
I really wish they had made it with some way to carry a small framed pistol. Maybe velcro under the lid so you could use their velcro pistol holster. I would have already ordered one and have a few other buds that were also ready to pull the trigger. We were hoping for something like their steelhead chest rig.

Kris

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The craftsmanship on this thing looks ‘cheap’.

Sad.

Huh? Got mine. The craftsmanship is top notch in my opinion.

A few seams on mine are not quite what I would consider typical Kifaru quality. I don't see anything that will impact performance, but it's not quite as refined/clean as all the other Kifaru products I have and have had over the years. My guess is they are just working through some training as they get their new facilities up and running.

I have all the accessory pouches on order and am interested in how everything works together.

I've now used the harness for a couple of NRL Hunter matches and some bear hunting. It's pretty snug on my EL Range TA binoculars which some people will love and others won't. I had no issues getting my binoculars in or out while on the clock at the matches. I did notice that the lid didn't always close fully over the top/back of the harness when I was in a hurry. I may need to mess with the shock chord adjustment some more.

I like the little pouch in front of the binos for my electronic earplugs. That was the perfect spot for those at the matches.

Last edited:

azjason

FNG
Classified Approved
A few seams on mine are not quite what I would consider typical Kifaru quality. I don't see anything that will impact performance, but it's not quite as refined/clean as all the other Kifaru products I have and have had over the years. My guess is they are just working through some training as they get their new facilities up and running.

I have all the accessory pouches on order and am interested in how everything works together.

I've now used the harness for a couple of NRL Hunter matches and some bear hunting. It's pretty snug on my EL Range TA binoculars which some people will love and others won't. I had no issues getting my binoculars in or out while on the clock at the matches. I did notice that the lid didn't always close fully over the top/back of the harness when I was in a hurry. I may need to mess with the shock chord adjustment some more.

I like the little pouch in front of the binos for my electronic earplugs. That was the perfect spot for those at the matches.
What size harness are running for your EL Range binos?

azjason

FNG
Classified Approved
I have the medium, and it's snug but fits.
It also appears some photos that the lower buckles might be to far back. In other worlds doe it interfere with your shoulder straps on your pack? It looks the shoulder straps would come right over the buckles possibly digging into your side with a pack on.

Looks like a prototype. Seems unrefined and kind of thrown together. Does it have any rigidity when open so it is an easy 1 handed in and out operation? The lack of tethers is mind boggling. Why not have them and have the option to quick disconnect them? Not a chance this will replace my marsupial.

Last edited:

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a prototype. Seems unrefined and kind of thrown together. Does it have an rigidity when open so it is an easy 1 handed in and out operation? The lack of tethers is mind boggling. Why not have them and have the option to quick disconnect them? Not a chance this will replace my marsupial.

No rigidity. I would call it a soft case.