Kifaru Bedlam Designing

Sadler

WKR
I actually prefer the webbing on the 357 mag. I put a large and medium belt pocket on it for organization.

It's my favorite pack for shooting matches.
You said the same thing to me about the antero a while back. I just don’t like webbing. I like the pockets built in and minimal webbing to add pockets if need be. Let’s compromise and have kifaru build both versions. Everybody wins!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
So what’s the concensus of using as a day pack with occasional 3-4 nighters? Would that fit intended use here?
Regardless of the model of pack, I always use a pack large enough to haul out a full load of meat, even day hunting.
Using a smaller day pack is nice for staying light and mobile until you are successful and need to pack out a critter.
I've never had a Kifaru pack that didn't compress tight enough to feel great day hunting.

Randle

WKR
Much of the time frame height is as much of a pain as bulk of the pack bag on a bigger pack.
So for me it's not always about getting a bigger bag and compress it down for day mode.
North Idaho is a jungle and a frame sticking above shoulders is tough to navigate thru here.

ccarr

FNG
I packed up the Bedlam with a 7 day loadout, took it on a training hike and roaming around the woods scouting for turkeys the last few days. Honestly, I could not have designed a more perfect bag. WIth the ogl and a sherman, I could probably stretch it to 10 (I only hunt early season/archery and dont carry a spotter - just a tripod with outdoorsmans pistol grip for 10 or 12x binos). Maybe it wont check off every box for everyone, but its worth trying out if youre somewhat interested in the design. Every multi day bag Ive used since the ILBE there was a few things I wouldve changed. But not this one.

I did just throw 4 different lids on it to see how they fit. Obviously all 4 have different capacities, but all of them fit, and Id use any of the 4 of them depending on how much volume Id need. I do think the k4 lid fits the best up there. I prefer to use the smallest lid I can, so Id start with the claymore, go to the k4 lid, then the OGL. The Mystery Ranch and OGL dont seem all that different in what you can load up, so Id say its the odd man out. I did have to cut the buckles off the K4 and MR lids, and replace them with the slotted buckles Kifaru uses. Depending on bag height, you might also need a couple of guide lid straps for each as well.
Thanks for the pics!

I value frame height with consistent 10-14 day loads during hunts. Don’t get me wrong, I wish I had a 24” frame for day hunting but the 26” handles big loads like a 1 ton truck.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far, so good :)

62jlLht.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what’s the concensus of using as a day pack with occasional 3-4 nighters? Would that fit intended use here?

While you could obviously get away with a smaller bag for day hunting, this bag is just about perfect for 3-5 days but still is easy to compress down for day hunts.

If you happen to be a guy who uses a spotter routinely, the side pocket on the Bedlam is really (really) nice.

3.5 day trip here:

250tWgy.jpg

alowell

FNG
Does Bedlam cinch/compress down for day hunts? I use my AMR cinched down for day hunts and expand to pack meat out. Wondering if this can get small as well

renagde

WKR
Does Bedlam cinch/compress down for day hunts? I use my AMR cinched down for day hunts and expand to pack meat out. Wondering if this can get small as well
Yes packs very small. I used mine cinched the whole way down and just used a medium belt pouch on the top matrix and the stretch pouch on the front for all my quick access items. Worked like a charm.