Kifaru Bedlam Designing

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to see side pockets that are center zipping.. basically the Fulcrum side pockets but static. Even one side like that and they other with an open top like the Reckoning would be super sweet.

IMO the pocket on the back should be just like the Sherman with some space inside.

I like the offset zippered access into the main bag. Then small compression straps, at least one, on the back to secure a tripod, folded rifle, etc.

TheViking

WKR
I would like bellowed side pockets - easier to access. You can stick trekking poles in there. Would be fine with zippered like the Hoodlum though too.

Sherman style zip, I don't like the center zip like on the kutthroat.

Offset zip access to the main bag as well.

Compression straps for sure. Make them removable if you don't want to use them, but definitely want attachment points.

Love the idea of mesh pockets - either in the zippered sides (if that's final design) or have one in the Sherman like pocket, just like the Sherman.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Out right now with a prototype. Aron is running the other bag that has some slight modifications from this one. As of now the bag cubic inches is 3800 with the snow collar folded. Full snow collar extended is 4550. With side “hoodlum” pocket it is 4900 total. So a great 3-5 day pack. But also can extend depending on gear.

Last edited:

BC_CO-OP

FNG
I have a hoodlum now and rarely use the offset zipper access to the main pocket, if that is integrated into the final design I would recommend only one on either side rather than one on each side.

I would love to see a mesh pocket in one of the side “hoodlum” pockets. I hate digging for truck keys when rolling in.

Thanks for involving us in this process, super excited to see it run the full course!

I found the open side pockets on my Timberline are better suited then my 44mags for what i use the pockets for , trekking poles , tripods and pulling a spotter out quickly. I like the zip closure of the main bag on the 44 mag and how you can stand it up and stack your gear when packing and zip it up as you go. A Timberline with side zips on either side of the middle pockets would be an awesome bag

I commented on the YT video, Ill leave it here as well. Id like to see one of each pocket on a pack. 1 side like the hoodlum, the other like the reckoning.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but I’d prefer to have 1 zippered side pocket and 1 open billow side pocket. On my 44 mag and hoodlum, I carry my tent or spotter with zip closed on one side and extra arrows/trekking poles/longer items on the other side with the zipper open. I’d like to see both style side pockets on 1 pack, that’s essentially how I use them anyway. 1 side fully zipped, the other zipped to the point before it goes horizontal because taller items are sticking out of it.

The side with the open top pocket could also be the side with the main bag access zipper since there’s no other zipper on that side.

Ultimately I want some kind of access to the main bag besides just the top. Not a fan of the top access only bags.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd prefer the zipped side pockets. I like them on my 44 mag and hoodlum. One zipped and one open (maybe with a cover) might be an interesting option.

I would also like at least one zipper for access to the main bag.

I think the internal mesh pockets are a great idea.

I like the hellbender stash pocket. Use it all the time on mine.

Great Job and appreciate you opening the can of worms for our input! I know you'll come up with something great - as usual.

My vote:
1) Zippered side pockets
2) No mesh inside side pockets
3) Main bag single full zip like my Reckoning but on side like the Hoodlum zippers - easier loading elk quarters solo inside the bag
4) Grab-it beaver tail with 4 pals matrix near the lower portion for belt pouch
5) Grab-it could possibly be billowed in the center or you could use your stretch material in center for stuffing puffy/rain jacket
6) Compression sewn on the bottom, removable in the middle and on top so possibility of no top strap and only use grab-it strap
7) No meat shelf
8) No bladder pocket - hang tab only
9) 3800-4200 ci main bag
10) Reckoning circumference and taller with 900 ci pockets
11) 500d cordura

Last edited:

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a hoodlum now and rarely use the offset zipper access to the main pocket, if that is integrated into the final design I would recommend only one on either side rather than one on each side.

I would love to see a mesh pocket in one of the side “hoodlum” pockets. I hate digging for truck keys when rolling in.

Thanks for involving us in this process, super excited to see it run the full course!
There is going to only be one side access zip. And zip goes all the top of snow collar to load gear/meat in easier.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I commented on the YT video, Ill leave it here as well. Id like to see one of each pocket on a pack. 1 side like the hoodlum, the other like the reckoning.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but I’d prefer to have 1 zippered side pocket and 1 open billow side pocket. On my 44 mag and hoodlum, I carry my tent or spotter with zip closed on one side and extra arrows/trekking poles/longer items on the other side with the zipper open. I’d like to see both style side pockets on 1 pack, that’s essentially how I use them anyway. 1 side fully zipped, the other zipped to the point before it goes horizontal because taller items are sticking out of it.

The side with the open top pocket could also be the side with the main bag access zipper since there’s no other zipper on that side.

Ultimately I want some kind of access to the main bag besides just the top. Not a fan of the top access only bags.
I also commented on this YouTube comment and I agree with everything stated.

JNDEER

WKR
Commented on YouTube (JN).

Layout of that bag pictured looks nice. Integrated lid like the MAG bags could shave weight - otherwise a 2.5lb bag with needing to add pockets puts that bag in the 4lb range. Layout of pockets aside- I don’t want to carry around the extra bag weight when other competitors make bags 1/2 the weight. Either large integrated lid or large pocket on grab it. Otherwise maybe small pocket on grab it (keys, tags, wallet headlamp)

One side pocket with zip, one without. Pocket without put main bag zip on that side. 2x water bottle stretch pockets on side.

Keep the weight DOWN. A 3+lbbag is too heavy- find a way to keep it closer to 2lb.

Keep MEAT SHELF!

How anyone plans to pack a camp and bring out a whole deer animal or 1/2 boned elk in a 4500 bag is crazy!

Water bladder sleeve or hook/Velcro tab to hang a wide arrange of bladders.

2800-3200 main bag would be about right.

Last edited:

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Commented on YouTube (JN).

Layout of that bag pictured looks nice. Integrated lid like the MAG bags could shave weight - otherwise a 2.5lb bag with needing to add pockets puts that bag in the 4lb range. Layout of pockets aside- I don’t want to carry around the extra bag weight when other competitors make bags 1/2 the weight. Either large integrated lid or large pocket on grab it. Otherwise maybe small pocket on grab it (keys, tags, wallet headlamp)

One side pocket with zip, one without. Pocket without put main bag zip on that side. 2x water bottle stretch pockets on side.

Keep the weight DOWN. A 3+lbbag is too heavy- find a way to keep it closer to 2lb.

Keep MEAT SHELF!

How anyone plans to pack a camp and bring out a whole deer animal or 1/2 boned elk in a 4500 bag is crazy!

Water bladder sleeve or hook/Velcro tab to hang a wide arrange of bladders.

2800-3200 main bag would be about right.
Right now base weight of the bag is in the mid 2 lb. Range. And it will come with a meat shelf.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Honestly, I think the last thing Kifaru needs is yet another pack. Instead, innovate some new materials or improve upon and dramatically streamline existing offerings. The endless options are just confusing.
Agree, a lot of bags check alot of boxes and no boxes at the same time. I know this makes no sense but I can’t be the only one