Kifaru Bedlam Designing

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Any recommendations on a preferred lid for it? Also, what size belt pouch for the front?
I have been using the Claymore for the lid. Aron used the Organizer guide lid on our last trip. We both used Medium Belt pouches for the back. I would way Medium would be ideal for the back pocket.

sndmn11

WKR
Man, just in the spirit of this thread and all of the suggestions, good, bad and otherwise, I think there has to be a compilation of EVERYTHING mentioned!! The Rokslide "Threadlam"! Or at least a drawing! I'd love to see the strapflappocketzippertabloop monster!🤣 with an internal and external frame!!

The threadlam will be the equivalent of when Homer designed a car.

I'd like to see something from UltraPE 200/400 and 3/4" webbing rather than 1". Tall bellowed side pockets with a vertical ribbon or two of stretch material.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using the Claymore for the lid. Aron used the Organizer guide lid on our last trip. We both used Medium Belt pouches for the back. I would way Medium would be ideal for the back pocket.
I'm a big fan of the Claymore as a lid. I prefer it over the Guide lid for most uses.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Make it in Xpac please, so rainy in BC, I love how my guide lid sheds everything on top
We have talked about this internally a lot. It's definitely something I want. But it comes down to cost. the sew rate would be a lot longer because the Xpac will slip at times. And the Claymore is more complex with how much internal pockets there is. The more Xpac you add it will up the cost compared to 500D. But there could be a new waterproof fabric that we find to make it easier at some point. I would love it even more.

prm

WKR
Just watched Episode 3. I could like that pack.

I don't prefer the nalgene pocket on the pack because I can never reach it. But the nalgene holder on the belt works well. That pocket would be a needle, bark, debris catcher. I'd rather it zip closed. Just have two small loops for trekking poles somewhere. Very minor.

What if the straps on the bottom came up higher to where the straps leading to lid attach. It might allow the pack to cinch down tighter for day hunting. It would also close the bottom a little more and keep what little day hunting gear I have up higher. A weakness (perhaps minor annoyance is a more accurate term) of Kifaru packs is they don't snug down tightly when only carrying basics for day hunting.

I'd trade some snow collar for a dedicated lid. May lose some max volume, but make the pack more usable in my opinion. I'm just not a fan of the remora pockets. They are never as tight as a designed in pocket/lid. Again, when pack is not completely full. And they add stitching to the main bag making more places for water/snow to catch and enter or branches to snag and make noise.

My memory is not helping me here, but I don't recall the meat shelf being easy to use with the Reckoning and this appears to be the same in that regard? At least how the bag needs to be pulled off and the load lifters moved. I much preferred the Stryker. That was excellent. If you could bring a Stryker-like attachment to the top of the bag, where accessing the meatshelf only required a couple buckles and no fiddling with load lifters, I would find that to be a better solution. I'm only going off old memory here.

Will that grab-it thingy hold a bow? Looking for a pack that holds a bow while on horseback. Can't hang low because it would hit saddle, but don't want it to stick up too high.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
@Bender

First, thank you for letting the pack be asymmetrical.

Before you guys wrap design, I have to vote for:
-a way to cinch the double Nalgene sleeve closed. Maybe a bungee drawstring makes sense.
-add tab loops on the pack's rear seam near the frame attachment loops (maybe 4 or 5 instead of the 3 I'm showing below), or a similar option to attach the pack to the frame without compression straps from the front. This would be a small increase in weight to provide a lot more options to attach the pack, especially for those of us who don't like compression straps crossing the main pack zipper or who still use old frames, like me and my old Duplex Hunter.

I realize that compression wanting to cross the zipper is a dilemma you contend with on most designs. A low cost method to avoid this would be wise and useful.

1680203984969.png

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Finished version is what I would design in a ground up custom bag. Definitely have to appreciate Kifaru listening to feedback on this one. @Kenneth@Kifaru ... any idea when they will be available?
appreciate everyone putting in their 2 cents! It will be launching next Friday. Very excited to get this bag into peoples hands. By far became my favorite bag while testing.

appreciate everyone putting in their 2 cents! It will be launching next Friday. Very excited to get this bag into peoples hands. By far became my favorite bag while testing.

I saw there was talk of a larger version, any info? I don't think I can personally make 12 days work this one. I could be wrong with the snow collar extended, guide lid, and a medium pouch though.

Yon181

FNG
Just watched the video of Aron reviewing the finished pack. Looks like a winner! Excited to see the larger version.