Kids rifle manifesto

I would say with a high degree of confidence, the suppressor is a game changer, but with those cartridges it changes the game from "way too much" to "a moderate amount too much".

A can will not bring 14-17 ft lb of recoil down to the 8-ish that you really want. I would (and did, and in retrospect wish I had done sooner) sell one of those three rifles to fund the purchase of a .223 bolt gun.
Funny story. Sold the 7-08 American compact and bought a new gen2 556 with 16” barrel.

Decided to keep the 6.5 and 308 options since I’m set up for reloading for those two calibers. Can’t wait to get her behind this 556

Raygun15E

FNG
Well lucky enough for me my son is right handed. But yes, finding lefty rifles is a struggle. I don't have a problem running right handed bolts since I grew up shooting right handed but I'm trying to make everything consistent with left handed rifles for me. This is part of the reason that I love my "custom" builds that I can swap the bolt faces on. I can swap a barrel and bolt face in about 20min and my rifle still feels exactly the same. It's a little more upfront cost but I think you save it on the back end for sure.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure all 3 of my boys are right handed. So finding them .223 Tikkas luckily shouldn’t be much of a problem. I, like you, have decided to keep things left handed for my shooting. I might be convinced to build a “custom” like you in 6CM and .223. I just want to stick with Tikka where if at all possible. Unfortunately that may have to wait a year or two. Hoping to move closer to work in that timeframe.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
In your shoes I think an AR works great as long as it's accurate. Instead of more/bigger guns I'd get suppressors and/or practice ammo. I do like the 6.5 Grendal because I can easily get hunting ammo for it. Not so easy with the 223 (in Alaska). Maybe another upper? As long as they are legal I'm warming up to AR pistols with a Brace. Our works well with a suppressor.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Did this this weekend for my 5 year old.

I shoot tikkas and got an amazing deal on a t1x. The point there is the components (except a few chassis options and mags) are interchangeable. The factory stocks aren’t bad and can be had used cheap.

For those wanting ultimate LOP control, don’t be afraid to take a saw to that $30 stock. I used a chop saw and it came out great. LOP is 11.5”. I have a compact stock on the shelf at 12.5” and regular is 13.5” ish so covered hopefully.

The pad I used is in the link below for $19. The holes lined up nearly perfect (maybe .1” off) and the studs for the holes on the stock go way back. Pictures show roughly how it worked. Disc grinder to finish.

When I want to work on CF rifles it’s just two bolts. Or when I want to use the t1x it’s two bolts and a full size stock and maybe a pict rail scope change.

Excited to try it out. Only downside I see is t1x is made to be “close” to identical to t3x which includes weight. It’s a tad heavy as it sits.

Have let me little guy work this gun over the last six months. He’s really taken a liking to shooting it as the video shows can manipulate it pretty well. He’s been consistently successful out to 80yds.

Was contemplating building a 6C tikka since he’s getting used to running it well (and stocks would interchange) but buddy talked me into letting him shoot a 6.5 Grendel a bit to see how he does.

@Formidilosus
or others with a good opinion. Lefty 10 year old son is very small. I want to get a 223 bolt for him. Should i Just get the Tikka 223 in right handed as the only real options seem to be Savage models in left hand? Let me know your thoughts if you have an opinion on the savage rifles in left hand vs. a right handed Tikka.

Thanks

Ryan

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus
or others with a good opinion. Lefty 10 year old son is very small. I want to get a 223 bolt for him. Should i Just get the Tikka 223 in right handed as the only real options seem to be Savage models in left hand? Let me know your thoughts if you have an opinion on the savage rifles in left hand vs. a right handed Tikka.

Thanks

Ryan

Tikka, but left hand.

The only real way to get one is to get a left hand standard bolt face and have Kampfield bush it for the smaller case head- it’s easy for him, then get a 223 take off barrel and spin on. If you do, I’ll buy/swap the barrel with you.

Tikka, but left hand.

The only real way to get one is to get a left hand standard bolt face and have Kampfield bush it for the smaller case head- it’s easy for him, then get a 223 take off barrel and spin on. If you do, I’ll buy/swap the barrel with you.
Awesome. I just spoke with them and seem like they can get it done fairly easily.
1. What barrel would you want so I can order the caliber you would want to buy/trade for?
2. I may have him take off the barrel as I remember reading a couple years ago its kind of a pain to get a tikka barrel off unless you have an easy way and I'll DIY it.

Feel free to PM me if that is more appropraite.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Awesome. I just spoke with them and seem like they can get it done fairly easily.
1. What barrel would you want so I can order the caliber you would want to buy/trade for?
I would prefer the 22-250 1-8” twist barrel. Otherwise, 243 win 1-8” barrel.

2. I may have him take off the barrel as I remember reading a couple years ago its kind of a pain to get a tikka barrel off unless you have an easy way and I'll DIY it.

If he’s doing the bolt, I’d probably let him swap barrels as well.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm loving this thread, so many solid ideas for starting kids/adults off right.

I've always started them off with a suppressed subsonic .22lr, then an unsuppressed .22WMR for a little more recoil/noise, and finally graduating to my suppressed .223.
It doesn't take long to build confidence with an easy shooting suppressed .223, I wish I'd gone this route as a youngster instead of been handed a short barrel .308.

bjwiech

FNG
One other option that all you Westerners aren't pointing out are straight walled options like the 350 Legend, especially if folks are hunting out East where they are required, or in the shrubbery.

Very little recoil. Short barrels are typical. Makes them another handy little option.

wesfromky

WKR
One other option that all you Westerners aren't pointing out are straight walled options like the 350 Legend, especially if folks are hunting out East where they are required, or in the shrubbery.

Very little recoil. Short barrels are typical. Makes them another handy little option.
I have identical RAR gen2 in 556 and 350. Both suppressed. There is a very noticeable difference in recoil. Not to say the 350 is a lot, but it is for sure more. I only have the .350 because it is required, though it is probably the best choice when in a straightwalled state.

bjwiech

FNG
I have identical RAR gen2 in 556 and 350. Both suppressed. There is a very noticeable difference in recoil. Not to say the 350 is a lot, but it is for sure more. I only have the .350 because it is required, though it is probably the best choice when in a straightwalled state.

If only MN would get off their shotgun requirement in the Southern half of the state. Or is really hard to introduce the kids to hunting with that, even with a 20 gauge. Sold off the 12 gauge slug gun a could years ago for a Savage 220, but it is hard to get the kids enough range time to be comfortable with the mechanics of the gun.

Have taken to a lot of dry firing to learn how to operate the gun. Then some fun competition in various shooting positions with the 10/22 to teach the various shooting positions.

I didn't spend enough time doing that early on with the kids. We have to hunt public land to find room for so of them to hunt, which generally means on the ground because we can't hang permanent stands on most public land in MN.

It has been a fun experience. You learn a hell of a lot when you have to get out of the stand you've used for 10-15 years and scout out decent places to hunt, with kids, on public land. It has been rewarding.

Bowfinn

FNG
If only MN would get off their shotgun requirement in the Southern half of the state. Or is really hard to introduce the kids to hunting with that, even with a 20 gauge. Sold off the 12 gauge slug gun a could years ago for a Savage 220, but it is hard to get the kids enough range time to be comfortable with the mechanics of the gun.

Have taken to a lot of dry firing to learn how to operate the gun. Then some fun competition in various shooting positions with the 10/22 to teach the various shooting positions.

I didn't spend enough time doing that early on with the kids. We have to hunt public land to find room for so of them to hunt, which generally means on the ground because we can't hang permanent stands on most public land in MN.

It has been a fun experience. You learn a hell of a lot when you have to get out of the stand you've used for 10-15 years and scout out decent places to hunt, with kids, on public land. It has been rewarding.
Why not hunt with a pistol 223?

Attachments

• IMG_9402.png
    IMG_9402.png
    421.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9403.png
    IMG_9403.png
    481.9 KB · Views: 20

bjwiech

FNG
Why not hunt with a pistol 223?

Because the ATF can't make up their mind on pistol braces. Because I don't own one. Because I can use a shotgun for turkey and pheasant and waterfowl.

I have seen folks do that here with kids. An AR in either 223/5.56 or 6.5 Grendel. It works. I have eaten the proof. lol

It is hard for the kids to aim correctly without a buttstock, especially on the ground. I don't feel like getting run through the grinder with a pistol brace. Though I think the ATF was forced back to it is legal. For now. Sort of.

I did what a lot of other people here do in the end. I bought a muzzleloader. It opens up another couple weeks of hunting in December. It has better "long" range accuracy than a pump shotgun with a slug barrel. It is cheaper to shoot than slugs (if I stay away from BH209). Plus it is just plain fun to tinker with.

I have five kids between 10-18. I spend the youth season and regular season mentoring. I haven't actually pulled the trigger on a deer myself in about five years. The muzzleloader opened up a season that would give me an opportunity to hunt again.

Bowfinn

FNG
Because the ATF can't make up their mind on pistol braces. Because I don't own one. Because I can use a shotgun for turkey and pheasant and waterfowl.

I have seen folks do that here with kids. An AR in either 223/5.56 or 6.5 Grendel. It works. I have eaten the proof. lol

It is hard for the kids to aim correctly without a buttstock, especially on the ground. I don't feel like getting run through the grinder with a pistol brace. Though I think the ATF was forced back to it is legal. For now. Sort of.

I did what a lot of other people here do in the end. I bought a muzzleloader. It opens up another couple weeks of hunting in December. It has better "long" range accuracy than a pump shotgun with a slug barrel. It is cheaper to shoot than slugs (if I stay away from BH209). Plus it is just plain fun to tinker with.

I have five kids between 10-18. I spend the youth season and regular season mentoring. I haven't actually pulled the trigger on a deer myself in about five years. The muzzleloader opened up a season that would give me an opportunity to hunt again.
All good reasons. I was just making sure you knew it was an option.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

There isn’t anything “for now. Sort of” about pistol braces. It’s legal, always has been, and there a stay. A 223 AR with brace is the best swing you could do for newer hunters. They make bolt action AR uppers if you want.

bjwiech

FNG
I like your confidence.

I have lived with Timmy Walz as governor for the last several years. I am not holding my breath.

Sorry.

Like the OP, as a kid i had the 22lr, the bow, then the 20ga and then the 7mm rem mag. Ever since then i have fought the flinch/anticipation of all rifles. Little confidence to make a pinpoint shot, and zero under the adrenaline of shooting at a deer. I missed a couple, wounded a couple, and the ones i did kill i missed the spot i was aiming by alot. Shoulder shots were always neck/spine shots.
20yrs later i dipped my toes into 5.56. Recoil is great but the blast was jarring still.

Now i have heavy rifles and stopped at 6.5cm recoil. Thats my limit. I much prefer the 14lb .243w with the can. Thats fun to shoot. I can free recoil shoot on the bench and squeeze that light trigger and stay on a 1/2" dot with 27x.

Cans make a huge difference for me even with earpro on.

Maybe im a wuss, but i like what i like.