Kids First Knife

JRS3

FNG
What are your thoughts for a first knife for a kid? My son is 10 and into all things outdoors. His buddies have various folding knives but for his first knife I’m thinking about an orange handled Morakniv. He can use it fishing, hunting, hiking, and general use. I like the large handle, the bright color, and they are about $10 so when he breaks or loses it, no biggie. He can have nicer knives later or for special occasions but what say you?

Bert01

FNG
I went cheap for the same reasons you said. I got mine a small locking folder to carry as a pocket knife and tried to impress on them carrying it all the time (except at school) just like a belt and their wallet. After they got their first pocket knife for their birthday I got them a fixed blade hunting knife the next Christmas. I think it was a Schrade or old timer. They are 17 and 13 now and usually have one on them when we are out and about.

TN2shot07

WKR
I was carrying a pocket knife before I was 10 (I was always fond of the more basic victorinox knives) but my dad gave me two hunting knives in my life. My first one was an old timer sharp finger and then a 110 later. I still have both and wouldn’t hesitate on either!

Felix40

WKR
I went with a folding knife for my son. I got him a super cheap one when he was 7 as a test. He didn’t cause any major problems with it and he still has it. He used it to help skin his elk. This year for his 9th birthday I got him a nicer one. He really thought the saw and can opener were cool so I found one that has those but is primarily a knife. I’m not really a fan of fixed blade knives but I think his grandpa has one he wants to pass down so that will be covered soon too. I just like that you can carry a folder in your pocket all the time.

Edit to add: have you asked him what he wants?

Last edited:

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bit different. My theory is most kids cut themselves a few times while they learn. So I don't give them large razer sharp blades. I'd suggest dulling it a bit so small mistakes aren't ER visits (done that). This goes against the old "sharp knives are safer rule" but it was my experience. I'd also start smaller so you can progress to a bigger knife after the kid shows responsibility. It not just safety its creating 2 different experiences. First a pocket knife then a sheath knife. Also they can carry a folder anywhere. Sheath knives get in the way sometimes.
There are about a million suitable knives. I suggest cheap with a bight handle so it's harder to misplace.

eric1115

WKR
I'm a bit different. My theory is most kids cut themselves a few times while they learn. So I don't give them large razer sharp blades. I'd suggest dulling it a bit so small mistakes aren't ER visits (done that). This goes against the old "sharp knives are safer rule" but it was my experience. I'd also start smaller so you can progress to a bigger knife after the kid shows responsibility. It not just safety its creating 2 different experiences. First a pocket knife then a sheath knife. Also they can carry a folder anywhere. Sheath knives get in the way sometimes.
There are about a million suitable knives. I suggest cheap with a bight handle so it's harder to misplace.
This i agree with as well. Before any of my kids get a fixed blade, sharp for field game processing, they get one of these little Gerber folders to practice safe handling and as you say, bring anywhere we're out and about.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Lock back, sharp, cheap...expect it to get lost. And wait for it....its gonna end up on the school bus and prolly in school. So get something harmless looking like swiss army. I had to search and frisk my ranch kids everyday before I took'em to the bus. Ended up doing a knife platter, the kids chucked their knives on it before school. A quick glance and I knew the blades were all present and or accounted for.-WW

OH->CO

FNG
I gave my boy one of those small leathermans when he was like 4. He just used it to play with the pliers and couldnt really open anything else up. I dropped him off at daycare and my wife picked him up. She got an earful about bringing knives to daycare. I later got an earful from her. I get a good laugh out of that one still

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I gave my boy one of those small leathermans when he was like 4. He just used it to play with the pliers and couldnt really open anything else up. I dropped him off at daycare and my wife picked him up. She got an earful about bringing knives to daycare. I later got an earful from her. I get a good laugh out of that one still
My 3yo nephew is fascinated by my Leatherman Wave, always borrowing it to try and pull apart/fix his toys.
I've been trying to find a little kid friendly multitool that he could take where ever.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I'd just make sure you teach him how to care for the carbon blade. Sure they're cheap but he may treat it better than anticipated.

Around 10 my father gave me my Buck 110. I carried that thing everywhere with pride. It now had a lot of character and memories. Enough that I tend to leave it home.