Kestrel knives

chiefhoyt

FNG
Nathan had a .07 that he had just made when I talked with him. I opted to go with this TI option and im very happy. I havent used a .05 so I can not speak on those but my .07 has zero flex issues. RustyHazen's "Cool Factor" comment is very true haha I really like the feel of the knife and the design is so freaking cool to me.

I just checked out their website, and they do offer one titanium knife in .08" thickness, one in .07" thickness, and the rest of their titanium line are .06" thick. I might just have to pull the trigger on one. Question now is, which one?

chiefhoyt

FNG
I Would call Nathan and see what he recommends for what you plan to use it for. I believe he recommended .07" and up for breaking down large animals when I talked with him. My .07 has been perfect for the deer I have used it for.

Earlier this year I purchased two knives from Kestrel. I got a titanium skinner and a stainless steel caper. I used both of these for the first time last week on a goat hunt, and cleaned two goats with them. We skinned both with the skinner and then broke both down with the caper. I also used the caper to split lips, and turn the ears and nose. I am totally sold on these knives, they feel good in the hand, are unbelievably light, and stayed super sharp through both animals. I'm sure I will be able to clean more game before they will need to be resharpened. Anyone in the market for a super high quality, light weight knife, I'm sure would be extremely happy with Kestrel.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like the Kestrel Knives and used one on two elk, along with an Outdoor Edge with removable blades. The combination worked very well

He does make one in titanium, I have one, it's exactly like the Kuiu model without the Kuiu logo. The scale is in grams.

Attachments

• Skinner.jpg
    Skinner.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 116
  • skinner2.jpg
    skinner2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 106

Birddog

FNG
Hey fellas,
I just did a search for a kestrel knife review and found this thread. I have a ti ultralighter that I got a couple of years ago when they first came out. I want to like this knife really badly, but I've used it sparingly because it just really isn't that sharp. Somewhere (I don't remember where) I saw something about having to get used to the microserrated blades but I haven't been able to get it operating well. Is there something that I'm missing? I always wound up going back to my pocket knife or one of my other skinners because this thing isn't much fun to use. Anyway, I just set it aside for a year or so and the other day I got it back out to cape out a whitetail head for my wife. Same deal. Dang thing just doesn't do it well. Anybody else have that experience? At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.
Thanks!

just thought i would revive this old thread seeing how massdrop is having these on sale and what updated thoughts are on this blade.
something like 100 shipped.

jm1607

WKR
just thought i would revive this old thread seeing how massdrop is having these on sale and what updated thoughts are on this blade.
something like 100 shipped.

You can't really go wrong with these knives. I have extensively used mine and still love it

I was excited to receive one of the ti ultralighters as a gift. I'm not a knife guy and wouldn't have purchased it for myself. I've used it to break down several whitetails and I fall into the same category as Birddog. I just can't get it to cut well.

My kill kit has a Havalon and... I know, it's blasphemy for the knife guys... a small filet knife.

I'm a knife heathen.