Kestrel knives

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone own one of these. Not talking about the kuiu model either.

Iv been wanting to get a decent quality knife, that's light for an overall work knife for backpacking and fishing along with hunting.

Hopefully I don't turn into a 'knife guy' but I can't help but want a decent quality knife.

Any comments on their ti models? Seem to be right in my price range, and some of the styles great.

I've been researching these knives lately and I have been in contact with Nathan at Kestral via email, but I don't know anybody personally that owns one, or has even used one. I have read some good reviews regarding the titanium ones though. So, like you, I'm also interested to see if anybody on here has any experience with them.

I have a crooked knife from Kestrel Tool of Lopez Island, WA. I hadn't heard of any other Kestrel knives before.

I got a Kestrel TI model this year. I have broken down two deer with it and was blown away. Its so light and small I was amazed at how well it held up to my less perfect butchering methods. I take it on all my other hunting and fishing trips as well. I plan on getting another TI model for my dad this year and definitely recommend it

Kind of piggybacking on the OP but I have often wondered how people liked the skeletonized handle after lengthy usage. Seems great for a lightweight knife for some quick work but I fear my hand would start to cramp up from trying to grip such a minimal handle for lengthy amounts of time.

Is yours the 0.80 thick Kuiu Kestrel knife, or the 0.50 standard Kestrel knife? And also, how would you rate it as far as being comfortable in your hand?

I have a edc skeleton ti sul, its 1.0 oz with the sheath. Haven't fueld tested it yet. Love the way it feels, wasn't thrilled with the degree of sharpness when I received it. However, I honed it for a few min and was very impressed with the edge I accomplished.
Great knife, prob going to order one of their talons with the carbon handles

I picked up a S35VN Ultralighter for Christmas. The knife weighs 0.78 ounces, velcro or kydex sheaths weigh 0.18 and 0.67 ounces, respectively. So a very light package. My knife came scary sharp. I would rate the workmanship as average for a custom knife. As not only a hunter, but hiker and backpacker, I'm excited to have a very lightweight fixed blade knife for my everyday carry. Haven't used it on any animals yet. With the small blade I'm not sure I would want to break something big down with it like an elk, but for something like deer it should be great. The skeletonized handle isn't as comfortable as a regular one, but wrapping in paracord helps.

For those in Alaska, I believe i saw them at barneys the other day. Got busy talking sheep and forgot to really check it out. But i recognize the paracord type handle.

I had a ti ultralighter. Great knife and great CS. After I did a paracord wrap the handle was fine, if a bit small. I passed it along because the ti blade was a bit flexy and delicate seeming for my preferences. A light folder is more practical for daily use, even if heavier, and when I want a fixed blade I want more beef than the ti knife provided.

For those in Alaska, I believe i saw them at barneys the other day. Got busy talking sheep and forgot to really check it out. But i recognize the paracord type handle.
Actually the knife that Barney's has is made by White River Knives. It's the Backpacker model made with S30V steel (considered by many to be the best steel for knife blades), and weighs 2.5 oz. Very similar looking to some of the Kestrel knives.

Last edited:
Actually the knife that Barney's has is made by White River Knives. It's the Backpacker model made with S30V steel (considered by many to be the best steel for knife blades), and weighs 2.5 oz. Very similar looking to some of the Kestrel knives.

Thanks for the info! Looks like they are cheaper than kestrel and come with a sheath.

I have put my kestrel through the ringer and it is no worse for the wear. It butchers all my big game, duck, fish etc and has needed little of any upkeep. I really like knowing that the owner Nathan is a blue collar backpack hunter just like me. He always takes my call when I have questions about my knife as far a sharpening, up keep etc.

Kestrel makes the same designs in different thicknesses and different steels to fit everyones preferences. He can custom make a knife to my specifications and I know he is going to be the one to make my knife.
White river is a production company that makes thousands of knives each month with automated machines and thus the lower cost. I really like knowing that Nathan will be the one making my knife and will take my call or email personally if I have any questions.

I havent had any comfort issues with the skeleton handle. I originally thought about putting paracord on it but needed to.

I have put my kestrel through the ringer and it is no worse for the wear. It butchers all my big game, duck, fish etc and has needed little of any upkeep. I really like knowing that the owner Nathan is a blue collar backpack hunter just like me. He always takes my call when I have questions about my knife as far a sharpening, up keep etc.

Kestrel makes the same designs in different thicknesses and different steels to fit everyones preferences. He can custom make a knife to my specifications and I know he is going to be the one to make my knife.
White river is a production company that makes thousands of knives each month with automated machines and thus the lower cost. I really like knowing that Nathan will be the one making my knife and will take my call or email personally if I have any questions.

I havent had any comfort issues with the skeleton handle. I originally thought about putting paracord on it but needed to.

What knife do you have? Any first hand experience with the Ti knives? Also, what is the thickness and, if it's 0.50, do you have any issues with it flexing much?

I have the titanium Ultra lighter in .070" thick. Its very rigid and I havent had any issues with flex. Nathan recommended I go with a .070" and up if I was going to break down alot of game so thats what I went with. Im pretty rough on it and its still in perfect condition

I have the titanium Ultra lighter in .070" thick. Its very rigid and I havent had any issues with flex. Nathan recommended I go with a .070" and up if I was going to break down alot of game so thats what I went with. Im pretty rough on it and its still in perfect condition

Was this a custom build? I don't see anything other than 0.50" thickness for the titanium on kestrel's web site.

I have the Ti version and an s30v version. Both are excellent knives. I have completely butchered 4 bulls and 4 muley bucks with them in the last 2 years. They're amazing! One ounce or less including sheaths. The handles are surprisingly comfortable, easy to grip, and seem to fit in my hand really well. The blade is short, so you end up making a couple swipes at the backstrap of a big bull, from the top surface at the spine down to the base of the ribs. No big deal, as you end up making extra cuts filleting it out with any sized blade. I admit I was a little concerned, heading into the backcountry after bulls with a single sub-ounce knife, but when crunch time came, and that's all I had, the knife more than impressed. If you're into an ultralight hunting lifestyle, you understand that the simplest solution is often the best. You need a reliable, tough, sharp piece of metal to break down game. And it's that simple. That being said, these blades also have some serious "cool" factor!

Back