Keep or sell guns?

WKR
I'll never sell an inherited gun (I only have half a dozen or so of them to worry about). Apart from that, I keep only what I use.

I see guns as tools and investments. I try to not get attached to them. It wasn’t always the case. I still attend gun shows with cash in my pocket, but now with lots of self restraint.

WKR
I'll also say that I have a pretty good idea of who I might like to pass my guns onto some day. Ultimately I'd like to give them away in person for my own enjoyment to people I know will appreciate them. If I die before that happens, I don't think I'll be too worried about what happens to them.

Bucsfan69

FNG
Guns are an investment, and possibly in the near future, currency. That being said, I usually thin out the herd for higher end weapons that retain their value so I can rotate my older stock for new

Always been wayyy easier to buy than sell. I’m 49 now and have been buying them with the boxes since I was 13

ROCOTILLO

FNG
Sell'em if you dont need/don't want to use them. You can make new memories with the ones you keep and the money you get from them.

Travis907

WKR
Chose wisely! If you need the $ then you gotta go what you gotta do to better your situation but the decision is all yours! So far in life I’ve never regretted keeping a firearm.

Q child

WKR
I'd sell em. But I'm not sentimental about things. And don't have the reverence for guns that some of our fellow roksliders have - they're just tools to me.

Laramie

WKR
I have sold every new gun I have purchased and I have never purchased a used one. Nothing to see in my safe, move along.

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
I have sold a lot of my extra guns now that I have gotten older because I realized that my stuff is just that "My Stuff" and others have "Their Stuff". I realized that what I see as valuable is not looked at that way by others and they would sell the guns for whatever someone would give them. I plan to keep the few guns that mean something to me; like my first 22lr; deer rifle; my nicest shotgun and a few older handguns.

WKR
It's easy to say "never sell a gun" or "guns are just tools", but the category of "guns" is too broad to really apply advice like that. For example, a Luger that was mailed home in pieces from Nazi Germany and passed down for four generations ought to be treated differently than a Kel-tec your uncle gave you because he never used it. A Smith and Wesson 66 no dash with no sentimental value is likely to increase in value far quicker than an old single shot 20 gauge with some names carved in the stock. Selling a gun is likely better than letting your family go hungry. Lots of things to consider.

Sled

WKR
There's a lot of talk about never regretting keeping a firearm. For those of you in that camp, I have a question for you (at least those of you without unlimited funds). Who regrets not purchasing a firearm because you couldn't let go of the boat anchor in your safe?

I personally regret not purchasing a used barrett fieldcraft when I had the option. I needed to let a rifle go that I haven't shot in a dozen years that I took my first elk with. I don't see shooting it ever again but I hold off and missed out on a great price for a fieldcraft. I certainly regret not selling that gun.

gabenzeke

WKR
I've sold a few over the years and regretted it every time. I'm now of the opinion that once it's mine, it's mine forever. The resale value is rarely worth it. I have a Damascus double barrel shotgun I inherited. Made in 1901. I've never shot it and probably never will, but I'll keep it forever.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot of talk about never regretting keeping a firearm. For those of you in that camp, I have a question for you (at least those of you without unlimited funds). Who regrets not purchasing a firearm because you couldn't let go of the boat anchor in your safe?

I personally regret not purchasing a used barrett fieldcraft when I had the option. I needed to let a rifle go that I haven't shot in a dozen years that I took my first elk with. I don't see shooting it ever again but I hold off and missed out on a great price for a fieldcraft. I certainly regret not selling that gun.

This!

I will never understand the guys who believe that you benefit from never selling any of your firearms. Don't they realize that the money you gain by selling off the crap that you don't use/enjoy can be put towards purchasing firearms that you will use/enjoy.

I won't sell the family heirlooms that have made their way into my hands, but everything else is fair game.

cnelk

WKR
Ive been reading thru this thread.... I have several guns that Im pondering selling, passed down from my dad.

One is an old LC Smith Field Grade 12ga double barrel

Many guys dont even know what it is

This!

I will never understand the guys who believe that you benefit from never selling any of your firearms. Don't they realize that the money you gain by selling off the crap that you don't use/enjoy can be put towards purchasing firearms that you will use/enjoy.

I won't sell the family heirlooms that have made their way into my hands, but everything else is fair game.
I've been on all sides of this so heres what I say to that. if you're selling a gun to buy something you might use then you need to ask yourself why you didn't use the gun to begin with. I see alot of guys who use that reasoning just to go buy something else that sits in the safe. or they buy new and realize what they had was better but now it's too late. that being said, I have sold plenty. my last sale doubled what I spent and allowed me to buy 2 new rifles and ammo, so for me it was a lucrative business deal. I also have rifles that never get used but the resale value isn't there so why lose money? they owe me nothing and did the job at the time. something for you to think about, if you buy a rifle for 800$ then sell it for 600$ but buy a new rifle for 1200$ how much money did you lose?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
To me guns are a tool for hunting. If a better tool comes out then I'd rather upgrade. There's a couple I've inherited and even though I have no use for them I'll keep them out of respect for the people who decided to give it to me.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
something for you to think about, if you buy a rifle for 800$ then sell it for 600$ but buy a new rifle for 1200$ how much money did you lose?

I would say that you lost $200.... After all, you still have that $1200 rifle in hand and unless you bought it new, or overpaid, you should be able to recoup that $1200.

But you do bring up a good point: You have to be patient and make smart decisions, both buying and selling. IME new rifles lose value as soon as you leave the gunstore, similar to driving a new car off the lot.

Used rifles on the other hand tend to hold their value(unless you overpay). I am into standard bolt action rifles and if there is on thing I can tell you regarding resale value, it is this: It is easy to recoup the price paid on a used rifle, but the opposite is true if you purchased the rifle new.

As to your question about replacing a safe queen with another safe queen, I guess I can't see the problem unless you lost money in the transaction.

And selling something good to buy something inferior? Well, I would call that a bad choice.