Keep or sell guns?

Jbrown, I totally agree with what you say. it all comes down to being educated in firearms and knowing what purpose you are selling them for. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people sell guns just to buy some new or even used newer rifles just to be disappointed that it doesn't shoot as well or the common "I bought this magnum but can't handle it" situation. now, if you need money for life things then that's a no brainer.
I have 2 rem 788's that I paid 300$ for total, I could sell them but if you know those rifles then you know it would be hard to find any other rifle to beat the accuracy of said guns so to me, what's the point? animals will go down from any rifle new or old. unless it's a Creedmoor, then they just lay down from the very mention of it lol.

S.Radke

FNG
Sold my first AR with no regrets. Wasn't that great of a gun. If you arnt happy with the firearm or it has no purpose I say sell. That being said that is the only gun I've ever sold out of my collection 😂

I seem to accumulate long guns for sure.
I hope my son appreciates them they way I appreciated my dad's and grandfather's.

But I never allow my hobbies of any kind to become a selfish thing, Family always comes first.

Laramie

WKR
Best keep what you have and add to it with the politics of today.
Meh... when you "outgrow" something that won't be used again, imo, it is better to liquidate and spend on something you will use. That said, I always have a backup to my backups.

I got many of my grandpas guns after his stroke, none of which have popped a primer in 3 decades, and I will get a whole host more after he passes. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t going to end up with them because I’ll have a third safe full of guns I’ll never shoot that I’ll feel like I can’t ever sell.

Maybe my kids will be rational enough to only keep the pre-64 stuff

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I've given a couple to my nephews. I haven't sold any yet but have several I haven't and probably won't use. I'd rather pass them on to younger family members that will hunt them than sell them. My daughter and Sil aren't interested.

I was raised with that never sell a gun mindset. With that said, I hold onto ones that are sentimental and have been passed through the family. Guns I’ve purchased personally, if they’re not being used or serve a purpose, they gotta go!

Trial153

WKR
Sell whatever you don’t use or doesn’t have a personal connection. I don’t get the fear mongering irrationality that causes one to horde things you do not use out of fear that someone will take them away.

Last edited:
I would keep the ones that have sentimental value. I do sell guns and almost always regret it. Not a deep regret but more of a “it would be nice to still have that gun” type of regret.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve inherited a few guns over the last few years. There are a couple
I’ve sold. But, when I open my
Gun cabinet there are many guns I don’t use and probably won’t. I often ask myself why I keep them around. I was raised to “never sell a gun.”

A browning a 5 my grandfather had the receiver drill and tapped for a scope mount - the original screws are MIA. A Remington 740 wood master 3006, a few others along those lines.

What do you guys do? Sell the excess? Keep guns no matter what?
Well if that A5 is Belgian made it should hold its value probably not so much with the Remington but if you turn em into cash it’s steady losing value thanks to uncle Joe

Shraggs

WKR
Also raised to never sell the guns.

Then I read this thread, about a 223 and a 77 tmk…

And, recent “ hoarder “ comments from my wife…

Kidding aside, that thread really forced me to carefully asses the value of each and have since sold most to fund guns I’m now interested in and scopes I feel work.

Sentimental ones stayed.

Sell whatever you don’t use or doesn’t have a personal connection. I don’t get the fear mongering irrationality that causes one to horde things you do not use out of fear that someone will take them away.
Not really, someday soon you I or anyone else will not be allowed to buy a gun. even if you think I will never shoot this one might as well sell it, keep what you have and add to the herd. They eat nothing and a bit of oil and cleaning every once in a while, is all it takes. Something else to think about get into re-loading if you're not already doing it, buy the needed dies, bullets, brass for every rifle and pistol and shotgun you own. Pack it away. Let the left-wing liberal bastards outlaw those sorts of things and your prepared.

Trial153

WKR
Not really, someday soon you I or anyone else will not be allowed to buy a gun. even if you think I will never shoot this one might as well sell it, keep what you have and add to the herd. They eat nothing and a bit of oil and cleaning every once in a while, is all it takes. Something else to think about get into re-loading if you're not already doing it, buy the needed dies, bullets, brass for every rifle and pistol and shotgun you own. Pack it away. Let the left-wing liberal bastards outlaw those sorts of things and your prepared.

I been hearing that crap my entire life. And yet I have more firearms now then ever. Apparently they aren’t doing to good of a job taking them away.

Again I am not keeping a bunch of stuff I don’t need and don’t use only out of fear that I won’t be able to have it. That’s pretty irrational and quite frankly where does it stop? How many guns that your not planning on using is enough to hoard?

desmog

FNG
My personal choice would be to par back my collection to ones I use, or that hold meaning to me. It feels good to tidy up the safe. If you aren't ready to part with something, then don't force it :) Good luck in your decision

Only you can decide, I don’t keep guns I don’t shoot, I sell them and buy guns I do shoot. If it were me, I would sell the ones I won’t utilize, but I would reinvest in more guns… I have very few things of sentimental value, so I can’t speak for others, it’s just never made sense to me.

If I had a family member pass away and inherited some guns, I would probably pick one to display, conversation piece, good way to keep that person in your thoughts and share their legacy (might not be the right term)

For my .02, I'd say, take out all the guns you don't use, ask yourself if you can think of a niche they fill that your other's don't, and then shoot them.

If you don't use them, don't need them, and aren't in love with them after sending some rounds downrange, then I'd say, sell them.

If it makes you feel better about "don't sell guns" then use the money to buy a gun you WILL use.