Keep my F150 or get a new 4Runner?

Keep the 2016 F150 or get a new 4Runner?

• Keep the paid off F150

Votes: 77 87.5%
  • Use the equity and get a 4Runner

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

Mowy33

FNG
Agreed with what was mentioned earlier - whatever additional savings your gaining due to the used car market with your truck will most likely be wiped out due to the same inflation going on with new cars. Not to mention the "market adjustment" aka, an additional $3-8k that dealers are adding to the MSRP's on 4Runners (and all new cars) due to their lack of inventory and supply/demand. Not to mention the additional dollars you'd be spending on a trailer.

My f-150 was totaled a few weeks ago, and I'd like a 4runner but will probably go back to an f-150.... My thoughts being 1) they're smaller than an f-150 (I'm 6'5 - don't like feeling cramped or having my legs rub the steering wheel, or my head rub the ceiling). 2) they get less gas milage than an f-150. 3) With the market today, they cost about the same as an F-150 (XLT to 4R TRD OR package).... So I can be more comfortable, get better MPG, spend about the same, and not have to spend an additional ~1-2k for a trailer to be able to tow the same amount... Makes sense for me to get an f-150.

jktex

FNG
Keep the truck. I have a 19 F150 2.7 eco with 65k miles. No issues save O2 exhaust sensor.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
So last night actually had the opportunity to drive ‘14 4Runner, and I drove it soon after driving my F150 and I had it parked next to my F150 to compare some things. It was apparent the 4.0 in the 4R just doesn’t have the power compared to the 2.7 in the F150. Also, tried to fit my Labs kennels in the back… they fit but there ain’t much more room for dekes or other gear.

Now, I still think the 4R is awesome, but as I really sit down and analyze the situation and read all the great responses I just think the F150 meets what I need better, so my plan is to keep it and try to save $ over the next couple years and maybe luck into a good used 4R for a decent price…

Yooper

WKR
I didn't read every reply to this thread but I just went through this exact scenario. Had an '18 F150. Cam phaser issues with the 3.5 Eco. I got jittery and bailed on it because the market was good. Went to a '21 4Runner Venture for same reasons you stated in your first post. Smaller, reliable, hold value, etc. Well the love affair didn't last long for me and in April I ordered a new F150 that I just picked up a week ago. To me, the F150 can do everything the 4R can do, but not the other way around. I missed the back bed space for keeping wet, nasty shit. I missed the back seat space even though I don't ride in the back seat. I missed the overall cabin space of the F150 crewmax. I definitely missed the power of the F150....that 4R is a dog even though I put a Sprint Booster in mine for a bit. I still think the 4R is about bulletproof as they can get, but it just lacked too much of the other stuff that really meant more to me than I thought when making that call last September. Hope that helps.

cjdewese

WKR
With everything you mentioned that you currently do in your truck, it seems you do very trucky things.

Good luck saving for the 4R in the future to use for some fun adventures and enjoy as many payment free miles as you can.

Payment free miles are the best miles no matter what you are driving.

Good choice I think. I have a 4runner and would never give it up but it's also paid for!! That said my chevy is a way better choice for most things . I have a 2500hd gasser and I still get 17-19 mpg with twice the room and power as my 4runner

2.7 is a great engine. you're going to take a hit on the mpgs and the 4runner will feel like a civic coming from the f150 in terms of space and power. id keep the f150

MattB

WKR
I currently own my 5th 4runner, so you know where I stand. But for a dedicated hunter, it is a compromise. Beds are nice (a hitch rack just doesn't compare) and the 4R gas mileage sucks. But Toyota reliability is awesome. I usually sell them to a buddy at around 160K, and have only replaced 1 starter at 98K out of my last 4.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you do not need the power of the F150, I would sell it.

You can find a MSRP 4R if you look. I also feel your concerns about the Ecoboosts longevity.

You mpg will likely not improve though. It also looks like you will be about 20K in debt if you got a new TRD OR 4R. So, it depends on if you can comfortably swing that or not.

Edit: If inflation continues, that 20K will effectively be worth less, meaning you come out ahead. If interest is 3% and inflation is 5% you effectively have a negative 2% interest rate.

D S 319

WKR
I got a 04 f150 paid off I’m riding it till the wheels fall (or rusts out). I hate the idea of car payments I’d vote keep it.

We tried a 2005 Forerunner, a 2009 Tacoma Crew Cab (both with 4.0 l V-6's) and my wife's 2008 Xterra Off-Road. The Xterra is the only one still with us...tough little SUV that also makes her a great grocery getter (poor mileage though...18-19 mpg, 4.0 l V-6). We found both of the Toyotas too tight for a general family hunting rig....we had two Vizslas at the time and liked to camp out around the west on bird hunts.

During this 17 yr time frame we've had two full size trucks, a 2004 Nissan Titan for 11 yrs and a Ford F150 5.0 extended cab with a topper since 2015. The full size trucks are much superior for our needs....going bird hunting or big game hunting, hauling stuff around and too and from our acreage, etc. They are more comfortable too...never liked the Toyota seats too confining for my butt, which isn't that big.

Mileage with the F150 goes as high as 24 mpg on trips,with the ave around 20 year around. (don't do much in town driving). That is better than any off the other vehicles mentioned by quite a lot.

I wanted to like the Toyotas but bottom line is they just didn't work for our family like a big truck, although either would have been fine for my wife's needs...but she prefers her Xterra and has for 14 years. Whatever makes her happy!

def90

WKR
I've always been a fan of driving them until they die. My current vehicle is my 2002 Jeep Wrangler with 295k miles. Haven't made a payment on that thing in 15 years. Current vehicles will run you $500 a month or more if you finance it, based on my experience I've saved $90,000 over the last 15 years.

I really like the new Broncos and have been eyeing a new Mustang GT but with the current supply issues and people paying over sticker price for new cars these days I will probably put a couple grand in to the Jeep to take care of some basic maintenance issues and drive it a couple more years.

WKR
Glad the OP decided to keep the F150. Way more solid choice for what he was describing I think. Sold my 2018 4runner to my daughter and bought a 2022. We ordered it from a dealer who was not gouging badly on the price and just upgraded it to Fox suspension on all 4 corners. They're old school technology but are very solid vehicles.

I hunt out of my older Tundra with a topper and like the OP, can't give up room for dog kennels, decoys, coolers, random stuff. Plus if one of the dogs gets skunked, he's not causing me issues. Lot to be said for pickups and hunting/fishing.