Keep my F150 or get a new 4Runner?

Keep the 2016 F150 or get a new 4Runner?

• Keep the paid off F150

Votes: 77 87.5%
  • Use the equity and get a 4Runner

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

gostovp

WKR
So I’m debating cashing out the equity in my F150 to possibly get a vehicle I have always wanted … a Toyota 4Runner…

I bought the F150 new in 2016. XLT Super Crew 4x4 with 2.7L EcoBoost and currently 110k miles. It has a nice color matched fiberglass camper shell (topper) on it. Vehicle is paid off. It’s been a pretty good truck, no major issues ( had a diff leak fixed under warranty, a keyless entry pad fixed under warranty and the basic recall stuff over the years). It’s been my daily driver and hunting rig. I’ve taken good care of it and always done oil and fluid changes on time. I whitetail archery hunt, upland hunt, do some duck hunting, and am planning my first archery elk hunt this fall. I will tow a utility trailer, and will tow small duck and fishing boats from time to time. I will have two or maybe three dogs and kennels when upland hunting. I will have a portable treestand and sticks and jetsled when bow hunting. I will have shotguns and decoys and waders when duck hunting.

The pros of the Ford are huge amounts of room in the Super Crew, a covered bed to keep stinky, bloody, wet muddy stuff in, it’s paid off, and so far it’s been reliable. However, it’s got a ton of equity in this market and I could use that to get a vehicle I’ve always wanted…a Toyota 4 Runner. The main pro of the 4 Runner is the reliability of the truck, a bit smaller profile for daily driving, really good off road capabilities … while my F150 has been relaible so far, I’m concerned about how long that will last ( given it is a Turbo charged gas engine… but I don’t beat on the truck)…

Let me know ur thoughts and if I’m completely stupid for even thinking of doing this, lol

I have over 200k on my 2012 eco boost and its been a reliable rig, stay on the maintenance and keep an eye on the turbos.

I think you would regret getting into a 4 runner with all the things you use the truck bed for. I don't think you could fit three dog kennels in the back of a 4 runner, nor want to smell them. Also, always having to hook up a trailer to haul your gear does get old. Things to think about.

Ive had 2 4 runners, a 1999 that I drove until I got a 2019. The gas mileage sucks a$$ and the gas tanks are small. Thats the only con i have with the 4 runner. I really like the simplicity of the 4 runner not having all the gadgets and what not. Reliability has been great with both that I have owned. If it fits in your needs id say go for it.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Have you driven a 4R?

When I was truck shopping in 2016 I was sold on a TRD Tacoma. Went for the test drive and the drivers side was way too small, my knees were in the steering wheel. Probably would have been fine around town but longer trips would have been a pain. I ended up with a 2014 F150.

I love the 4R and drool every time I see a nice one but with the build being similar to a Tacoma I don’t think they’d work for me. I’ve been trying to talk my wife into one so I could ride passenger.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Yep, I’ve driven a 4Runner a few times. I’ve like the ones I’ve driven. The Taco was on my list back in 16 as well but I felt the same as you that the seat size and angle wasn’t great, admittedly it was more my wife not liking it than me … I almost pulled the trigger on the Taco back then. Thr 4Runners seats to me seem different and more comfortable.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I have over 200k on my 2012 eco boost and its been a reliable rig, stay on the maintenance and keep an eye on the turbos.

I think you would regret getting into a 4 runner with all the things you use the truck bed for. I don't think you could fit three dog kennels in the back of a 4 runner, nor want to smell them. Also, always having to hook up a trailer to haul your gear does get old. Things to think about.
Yeah that’s really something I’m think about… it’s so nice having a camper shell on a pickup… wet dogs, stinky pheasants and ducks, muddy waders, bloody big game, just shove it back there and shut the gate…

Macintosh

WKR
longtime toyota owner here, between my wife and I we've had (or currently have) 5 different toyota trucks, mostly tacomas which share a lot of similarities with the 4runner. Personally, I think their reputation for durability is to a degree a thing of the past, based on trucks and engines they no longer offer. Don't get me wrong, I dont think anyone would necessarily be making a mistake getting a toyota, but I dont buy the hype having had all sorts of mechanical issues with every vehicle we've owned. Mostly minor, but some majors as well--steering columns, many broken leaf springs, engine seals, etc. The 4runner will tow your boats and a light trailer fine, although I believe they still use at least one set of drum brakes and it wont stop a heavier trailer as well as your ford. Depending on how and where you drive fuel economy isnt any better than your ford, or if it is it's not enough to worry about, maybe 1-2mpg at best. I dont know what kind of dogs you run, but as lab guy I will say that my 1/2 ton truck (did I mention I more or less happily traded in my last toyota for a chevy?) easily fits 3 full-size varikennels in the bed, and with the wing doors on the cap I have access to any kennel door while still being able to access gear. Even my 6' bed tacoma would only fit 2 kennels maximum, so I'm not certain how you'll fit 3 kennels in a 4-runner unless they are smaller kennels. Personaly, based on how you outlined your use, I would have a hard time justifying the change based on anything other than "I just want a 4-runner".

Also, agree on the seating room comment above--having owned older tacomas, some of the new ones have even less room than the older tacomas. My 2006 taco was fine, but I feel downright claustrophobic squeezing into my wifes 2019. I have heard people say some of the different trim packages have different seats, so make sure you test drive the exact seat of the vehicle you'll buy if you are a tall or bigger guy. I know you arent looking at a taco, but a 4-runner, but my impression is much of the trim and equipment is the same between those 2 vehicles.

Last edited:

cjdewese

WKR
All my family drives are toyotas we literally have 8 of them between my family, my dad, two brothers and their families.

I have owned a tacoma and a 4runner which I am currently driving. I absolutely love it and it's been the best car I have ever had by far. I have 138K on it now and it's a 2017 TRD Off-Road. It's been to Colorado, Seattle and Iowa and back to California each of the last 3 years. I haven't been stuck yet in all the off-roading I have done so far and there have been some great trails it's been on. I have pulled many cars and trucks out of mudholes or helped them out in the snow. I have even used it around my house to pull out several tree stumps and helped build a very large rock wall as well. Reliable as all get out so far, nothing outside of oil changes.

I have a Gobi roof rack that I treat like the bed of the truck and it's hauled a crap ton of lumber or camping gear for my family of 5 and a dog up there. I have the ladder that goes with it and a set of sliders that make loading it and tying down the load much easier, I don't think I would like it nearly as much as I do if I didn't have those to help load/unload the roof rack. I use the sliders WAY WAY more than the ladder though. 1 great thing about the roof rack, is in the rural area I live my kids love riding on top of the car as we get into our neighborhood.

With everything you said you would do, I would think a small utility trailer to pull behind when you need it or a roof rack would be the very minimum you would need to not miss the convenience of the truck.

All of that being said, if you have always wanted a 4Runner no car will hold it's resale value as well if you do get in it and want to sell it after not liking it for some reason.

Good luck on your decision, I don't think either is a bad one.

A few pictures because, why not.

Attachments

• 4Runner.JPG
    4Runner.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 4runner1.JPG
    4runner1.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

cjdewese

WKR
Yep, I’ve driven a 4Runner a few times. I’ve like the ones I’ve driven. The Taco was on my list back in 16 as well but I felt the same as you that the seat size and angle wasn’t great, admittedly it was more my wife not liking it than me … I almost pulled the trigger on the Taco back then. Thr 4Runners seats to me seem different and more comfortable.
My dad and brother both have a 3rd Gen Tacoma and I can tell you that the seats in front and the room in back are both very different than the 4runner.

There is a lot more room in the 4Runner and was the main reason we went with it over the Tacoma when we bought it. Our son was 1 and was still in a rear facing car seat. My wife had to scoot her seat all the way up to get it to fit in the Tacoma but barely has to move her seat forward for it to fit in the 4Runner.

I've driven F150s for the last 12 years and have driven many 4 runners as rental vehicles when traveling to work projects or on hunting trips where i fly. Like you, i have a paid for '16 XLT with 123k on it that I'll be looking to upgrade in the coming years.

The 4 runner wins on reliability, resale, turning radius (parking ease), and off road capability. That said, I'd ask yourself if you really feel those things are limiting with your f150.

They are gutless, get shitty mileage, have less room, and are going to work hard pulling a trailer at interstate speeds. At the end of the day, an f150 is functionally better and more comfortable for doing the things i use it for which are similar to what you discussed.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I love 4Runners and wish I would have bought one over my Tundra. For the last couple years, I have said my next vehicle would be a 4Runner.

One thing I have been considering though is that after a 4-5 year hiatus, I went waterfowl hunting last year and remembered how much I loved it. Even as deer season gets closer and closer, all I can think about is ducks and geese.

Wet decoys and waders in the bed of a pickup is a lot better than in the cab with you but it would also be nice to be able to leave all your stuff in the back of your 4Runner and not have to worry as much about it being stolen.

Its a tough one and even as someone that cant afford to get a newer vehicle, I debate on what would be best for me. If I transition back to waterfowl which seems likely, it will probably be a F150 or Tacoma for me over a 4Runner.

Last edited:

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I have the exact same truck you have including the camper shell except mine has the 5.0 and has 15K more miles. My wife had a 4 runner for her last vehicles (before our family outgrew it). Zero chance I'd trade the F150 for a 4-Runner... with or without payments. Assuming you bought the truck new, you're averaging 20K miles per year. You should easily be able to get another 4-5 years out of the F150.....with no payments.

If you want a 4Runner with the 4.0 V6, you should get one while they are still available. I would bet that the next refresh will only offer a smaller engine.

Have a 2016 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 with a 6.5FT box and topper. Tossed a rack on the topper and it's been our family's reliable adventure rig for 80,000 miles and counting. It's made a couple trips out west from Wisconsin, with the last trip headed home from CO loaded down with a freezer full of meat and a 5x6 strapped to the topper rack. I'd really only trade it for a newer rig, same model! I've been amazed with it's capabilities for being a half ton. Really only cuss it out when parking in the city (not often). The 4Runner is a sweet rig too, and I've seen them built out into real mountain road monsters. I do think by the time you do that though, you'll have similar gas mileage for everyday driving and give/take on capabilities while loosing the load capacity. Good Luck on deciding though!

Titan_Bow

WKR
I went from a full size pickup; a Nissan Titan, to an SUV; an Xterra Pro 4X; then a new 4Runner after hitting a deer and totaling the Xrterra. I love my 4Runner, but man, if I had a paid for pickup that checked all the boxes I needed, I don't think I would make the leap. However, like they say, you can't take it with you, so if you really want one, only you can decide. Myself, I wouldn't want to go into a car payment if I didn't have to, given the way inflation is continuing.
The 4Runner is nice, but it will probably get worse gas mileage than your pickup. I have averaged about 16mpg over the last 30K miles. Towing a trailer with the 4Runner is also annoying. Because its only a 5 speed, and is relatively anemic compared to a full size truck and other SUVs, going up I-70 or other mountainous routes can be a chore.
The thing does shine off-road, I got the locking diff and all the off-road stuff on mine, so its nice to know the likelihood of getting stuck is less. I also hunt solo mostly, and I've created a platform, so when the back seats are down, its a completely flat space. So, its nice being able to just climb in the back and go to sleep in the comfort of the heated or cooled vehicle. I also like the fact that its old technology. Its an old school v6 and old school 5 speed transmission. Its been around forever, parts are readily available, and if anything broke or ever actually went wrong, someone on the internet is going to have a detailed forum post or Youtube video describing that problem. I've put a little over 30K miles on mine so far and haven't had a single thing go wrong. Knock on wood, but I hope to drive this thing for 300 or 400K miles at least, which is the whole reason I bought it.

4runner and trailer.png

TxxAgg

WKR
Sounds like you have the perfect truck. No way I'd swap that for a SUV.

Get some new tires or shocks or something if you need to make it better.

I've driven nothing but Toyotas or Lexus vehicles for the last 20+ years. I would keep the F150. Prices are way too inflated right now to buy a new vehicle, any equity you have in the F150 will be given back on elevated 4 runner prices. Not having a car payment going into an economic downturn is a huge win. My wife is in the market for a 4 runner, her Lexus is at 190k miles now, and is getting a little small with 2 kids. We are waiting for the next generation to be released in '24-'25. If it follows the Tundra and Sequoia changes, there is a strong possibility it will have the turbo V6 hybrid available as an option. The current 4 runner engine is a little bit of a dog at altitude, reliable, but gutless. If it gets the Hybrid, it will be a beast power wise, read some reviews of the new Tundra TRD Pro to get an idea just how powerful the new motor is. The engine is the main reason we are avoiding the current generation.