Katadyn Vario

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hear Aron Snyder talk about the sawyer (I believe) water filters. And even though they are convenient, you have to be careful in freezing weather or the filter will crack. Does anyone know if the katadyn Vario filter has the same issue with freezing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
It does. The only one I know of that claims it won't is the new 350$ MSR Guardian Filter. Also you could get it done by using a Steripen Water sterilizer.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
If you plan to go with a sawyer, MSR (not the guardian) or the Katyden the majority of us keep it in a clean zip lock or dry bag and throw it in the sleeping bag if we have a fear of the temps dipping below freezing. That way you don't have to worry about it to much. Ive been using the stiripen a lot lately and like it. bit more work to fill a 3 liter bladder and you rely on batteries but I don't have to worry about it freezing at 10k.

OP
A

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan to go with a sawyer, MSR (not the guardian) or the Katyden the majority of us keep it in a clean zip lock or dry bag and throw it in the sleeping bag if we have a fear of the temps dipping below freezing. That way you don't have to worry about it to much. Ive been using the stiripen a lot lately and like it. bit more work to fill a 3 liter bladder and you rely on batteries but I don't have to worry about it freezing at 10k.

Hey thanks I appreciate the info. It's my dad and I first trip into the backcountry this year. And he has already bought the Vario. Thanks for the sleeping bag trick because most likely if it's not going to be freezing weather it's gonna be dang close.

oldgoat

WKR
For what it's worth, I read though all the literature for that thing and seen no cautions about freezing. I have the Hiker Pro model from them I just pump it out after filling my bladder and don't worry about it.

OP
A

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, I read though all the literature for that thing and seen no cautions about freezing. I have the Hiker Pro model from them I just pump it out after filling my bladder and don't worry about it.

Yeah thanks. I read the manual too and didn't see where it mentioned anything about freezing either. Thanks for the responses guys.