Katabatic Sawatch 15 for MT rifle?

I'm looking to get a quilt for Montana rifle season. I don't bow hunt but might someday. Was originally looking at the Katabatic Alsek 22 but it's out of stock until late rifle season. They have the 15 degree Sawatch in stock. It's only 2 oz heavier. Anyone think this is too warm? I'm generally a warm sleeper. I have slept down to single digits in a 20 deg bag with my puffy, and was fine.

The other option I'm considering is the Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20 deg. I've just heard better reviews about Katabatic.

ianpadron

WKR
I think you'll be fine, especially with having a puffy along just in case. Depends where you hunt though...last year it was close to zero for a 2 week stretch here in the NW corner at night. I wouldn't consider a 22 degree quilt warm enough personally, and I also sleep really hot.

Have heard nothing but great things about Katabatic and will probably get the Grenadier when my EE 0 degree finally bites the dust.

OP
R
@ianpadron just to make sure I understand you properly - you backpack hunt in Montana with an EE 0 degree quilt and are happy with it?

Yeah it can totally get to zero or sub in MT rifle season. Like two years ago it was -20 or whatever. Would love to have the ability to backpack in a mile or two even for one night when it's really cold and the elk are lower.

I think I'll get the 15 then, thanks!

ianpadron

WKR
@ianpadron just to make sure I understand you properly - you backpack hunt in Montana with an EE 0 degree quilt and are happy with it?

Yeah it can totally get to zero or sub in MT rifle season. Like two years ago it was -20 or whatever. Would love to have the ability to backpack in a mile or two even for one night when it's really cold and the elk are lower.

I think I'll get the 15 then, thanks!
I've used a 0 degree EE quilt on every single hunt from September through November for about 6 years now, have been very happy with it. All backpacking trips. WA, ID, MT. Just use it as a blanket if you're too warm with a leg kicked out, or batten down the hatches and weather out some real cold. Remember to get a long/wide... that's mission critical and where most detractors of quilts go wrong.

I actually picked up a Western Mountaineering Antelope with Windstopper just for late season Montana hunts where the likelihood of shtf goes up, so I'd say a 15 is the bare minimum.

I picked up the flex 22 and the flex 40 from them. Can pack them both for under 3 pounds and stack the quilts. Could easily take me below 0. I tried the sawatch and it was a little tight in the knees for me. The flex allowed me to open the bottom up a little more giving me more “leg wiggle room”. Lost the sewn footbox, but I always sleep with down booties anyway so I’m not that worried about it.

TOLeary

WKR
If you think you’d be warm in 15 degree quilt I’d recommend getting the flex version that way you can use it in much warmer temps and be able to unzip and vent the foot box. Both of those features makes it much more versatile. The draw string foot box won’t allow any drafts either so I wouldn’t say there’s a warmth difference in the feet area between the two versions