Kangaroo vs Cordovan

Cordovan is SLICK which is good.
I'm not a leather expert but I've always thought of kangaroo as soft, thin and pliable.

I would suggest just buy a Yost tab and move on.

You got the short answer.

The long answer; I have a kangaroo hide...and a bunch of other hides here that I use for rest material.....

I've tried making hair tabs from these...Eland and Oryx I think it was I tried as those hides were a little thicker. They work good....but the hair sloughs off eventually.

kangaroo will work fine if that's what you have...but leave the hair on [best to trim it a little] and you might have to back it with a thin piece of split leather to stiffen it up a little.

Well the reason I was asking is, I noticed at least one tab maker offering both cordovan and kangaroo tabs. I really like my cordovan tabs but was curious if there is something slightly stiffer or thicker for just a touch more protection.

Have you ever had a kangaroo tab?

No I have not

If you've never used it how do you know?

Every quality I want in a tab can be found in a good cordovan tab. Cordovan tabs can be found in thin or thick versions, stiff or supple and it's almost impossible to wear it out. I would guess more cordovan tabs are lost than worn out.

I've seen a kangaroo tab I think from some place in Australia (duh) and I'm sure it would work well.

If cordovan is good enough for Brady Ellison it's darn sure good enough for me.

You could check with a taxidermist......my buddy is a taxi and I can get little chunks of 100 different hides....he throws the little pieces away.

_______

I’ve been trying out the new Fairweather tab lately and I might like it better then the cordovan Yost I have. The kangaroo is definitely softer and more supple so the jury is still out on long term durability. There really wasn’t much a a break in which I think is fantastic for when it’s time to change leathers. I’m using it with three layers and it’s still pretty thin which doesn’t bother me. I heard yost now offers kangaroo if you ask. We’ll see long term how it goes but so far I prefer the Fairweather over the cordovan Yost (and the Yost is a great tab).

That Fairweather tab looks really interesting. I'd never seen or heard of it before. There's some good info on the kangaroo leather on his site as well, pretty interesting.

I’ve been trying out the new Fairweather tab lately and I might like it better then the cordovan Yost I have. The kangaroo is definitely softer and more supple so the jury is still out on long term durability. There really wasn’t much a a break in which I think is fantastic for when it’s time to change leathers. I’m using it with three layers and it’s still pretty thin which doesn’t bother me. I heard yost now offers kangaroo if you ask. We’ll see long term how it goes but so far I prefer the Fairweather over the cordovan Yost (and the Yost is a great tab).

Thanks R Davis. That's the one I saw. Looks nice.
I figured the guy just had more access to kangaroo hides than horse hides

I'm still happy with the Yost. My shooting has issues on occasion but the leather on my tab isn't one of them.

You might ask the tab maker how the two materials compare. I use and really like the Safari Tuff cordovan tab, but have never tried a kangaroo tab.

You could try your hand at making your own tabs and expermen a bit. I bought a cordovan shell and tried to double stack it for a tab. Then i tried floppy cow hide, then bison hide and i have to say the double stacked Cordovan makes a really nice tab. The two break in together so when the first face wears out you just swap them. The bison was really nice as well but very stiff and did not give me enough feeling of the string on a 40lb bow, 50 was better.

I have no idea about kangaroo, but I know if you call or email whoever you order your tabs from, you can have them pick out the thickest one. I don't look at them every time I go to rmsgear, but I do from time to time, especially if I know they got an order in, and look for thicker ones, they aren't all the same!

Thats a good idea to ask for thicker material. I ended up trying a kangaroo tab and really liked it but it was a little different construction (3 layer) so I kept playing around with other tabs. I then got a safari tuff cordovan tab and its becoming my favorite.

Back