Adding zippers to clothes

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I have a hoodie that I really like. It has built in pockets and the fit is perfect. My only issue is it gets too hot. I am going to turn it into a 3/4 zip. I want the zipper to go about 10” down stopping at the top of the kangaroo pocket. I’m curious if anyone has done this and what brand and size of zipper they used. Thank you for any input.

WoodBow

WKR
I believe zippers are divided into two categories. Separating and non separating. You would want non separating for your application. You just need to determine the length needed and order a zipper.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
E

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks you for the response. Any ideas on how zippers are sized? I see sizing from #3.5 up to #10. I think my kifaru packs use a #10 sized zipper but I’m not sure. I think I’d want something on the smaller end for this application. Closer to the size of a zipper on a pair of jeans.

TaperPin

WKR
The number is the size of the tooth in mm. There’s a lot of good information at a place like Wawak or Sailrite.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks you for the response. Any ideas on how zippers are sized? I see sizing from #3.5 up to #10. I think my kifaru packs use a #10 sized zipper but I’m not sure. I think I’d want something on the smaller end for this application. Closer to the size of a zipper on a pair of jeans.
10 and 8 are heavy duty like on your pack. I'm pretty sure 5s are the size typically used on coats so I'd guess in this application you'd want to go even smaller.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have also wanted to do this and have this video bookmarked:

There are a lot of ladies with really clever tricks on Youtube and the sewing forums. I think a #5 zipper would be a good size.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Look at the zippers on clothing you already have (there is a number on the back or tip of the zipper pull usually) and/or go to the local joannes or similar and put your hands on things. You'll likely want something in the 3 to 4 range for clothing like that.