Kahles K318i or Leupold Mark 5HD 3-18x

OP
General RE LEE
Theres some pretty good horror stories out there about Minox, S&B, and March regarding long repair lead times.

I met a dude at the range late last year that had a brand new lemon NX8 4-32 at Nightforce for many months. There’s that epic NF warranty thread on SH. Pretty sure WindGypsy has said he had a bad SWFA sent in well over a year ago.

Folks like to poke fun at Vortex’s warranty, but when something goes down it’s nice to have it handled in a week.

I’ve had very good experiences with Leupold warranty service as well.

Same here. I’ve had great Leupold and Burris warranty work. Not a great experience with NF. Sent a scope in, received email saying “turret replaced” and then waited 2 months to get it back. Sent a Leica in and took 4 months with absolutely no communication. But, that was 3 years ago when they were known for some of the worst CS out there. Optics across the ocean just take longer.

OK if very few are ever sent in- why have they had mine for 4 months? They're talking about a 2023 return date, let's call it a year for simplicity sake- which other $3K optic will the mfg sit on for a year? no offer of a replacement or anything.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I've never had a Swaro/Kahles Austrian repair take more than 10 weeks, and that in the middle of their busy season.

Is this a scope from the 1970s that they had to send to their 3rd party repair facility for antiques?

amassi

WKR
I've never had a Swaro/Kahles Austrian repair take more than 10 weeks, and that in the middle of their busy season.

Is this a scope from the 1970s that they had to send to their 3rd party repair facility for antiques?
No it's a 2021 318.

I've literally got a Kahles scope with them for service right now and was quoted 8 weeks. I'd give them a call with your serial and ask them what's up.

It's get service order number, get email that they got your scope, get an estimate if there is one in like 4 weeks, and then get a shipping notice that your scope is on the way back. within maybe 8-10 weeks of received email every time I deal with them.

I’ve owned a couple Kahles and you couldn’t give me another, both had to go back and they took forever for them to repair it. I know other people who have had them go down too. IMO they’re not as reliable as a top tier optic should be.

I’ve owned 4 MK5HD’s and every one of them has been solid, know more than of few other people who use them with no issue. Literally the only complaint I have about them is that the index marking for the windage knob is in a dumb spot that can be hard to line up great but it’s usable and it’s a set it and put the cap back on deal anyway.

One thing to consider with either optic is mounting length since you’re putting it on a long action. You’re going to have to use a picatinny rail vs a one piece mount to get any adjustment and likely for it to even work and you may actually have to use higher rings if you have to bring it rearward to clear the front of the rail. Unless you have an adjustable cheek piece I don’t think I’d put either on a LA 700.

The 4-16ATACR is in the similar price and use range and gives you a bit more mounting length and rail clearance. That would probably be my choice for a Sendero for the type of optic you’re looking at.

amassi

WKR
I've literally got a Kahles scope with them for service right now and was quoted 8 weeks. I'd give them a call with your serial and ask them what's up.

It's get service order number, get email that they got your scope, get an estimate if there is one in like 4 weeks, and then get a shipping notice that your scope is on the way back. within maybe 8-10 weeks of received email every time I deal with them.
My dude you think they've had my scope since March and I haven't asked for an update?

My dude you think they've had my scope since March and I haven't asked for an update?

I think I'd be double checking with someone other than who you've been interacting with to make sure your scope isn't lost.

OP
General RE LEE
I’ve owned a couple Kahles and you couldn’t give me another, both had to go back and they took forever for them to repair it. I know other people who have had them go down too. IMO they’re not as reliable as a top tier optic should be.

I’ve owned 4 MK5HD’s and every one of them has been solid, know more than of few other people who use them with no issue. Literally the only complaint I have about them is that the index marking for the windage knob is in a dumb spot that can be hard to line up great but it’s usable and it’s a set it and put the cap back on deal anyway.

One thing to consider with either optic is mounting length since you’re putting it on a long action. You’re going to have to use a picatinny rail vs a one piece mount to get any adjustment and likely for it to even work and you may actually have to use higher rings if you have to bring it rearward to clear the front of the rail. Unless you have an adjustable cheek piece I don’t think I’d put either on a LA 700.

The 4-16ATACR is in the similar price and use range and gives you a bit more mounting length and rail clearance. That would probably be my choice for a Sendero for the type of optic you’re looking at.

Thank you. I’ve got a NF 20 MOA pic rail on my Sendero. Like an idiot, I had a Mark 5HD 3-18 on it in 2020 and decided to sell it. Two years later I want a FFP reliable long range optic. When I had it mounted on my Sendero in 2020 with the pic rail I don’t recall any issues with getting proper clearance or eye relief.

I would just go back with another MK5 then since it worked for you and you obviously like it from having one already. It looks like you’re looking at illuminated too which is the right move on a hunting rifle too, the reticles in those disappear below about 7x in low light without illumination.

OP
General RE LEE
I would just go back with another MK5 then since it worked for you and you obviously like it from having one already. It looks like you’re looking at illuminated too which is the right move on a hunting rifle too, the reticles in those disappear below about 7x in low light without illumination.

Yes the FFP is why I sold it. I have multiple VX5HDs that have tracked well for me at the range, have great low light glass and a HUGE fov and eye box. Also they are SFP which I prefer in a hunting rifle. I want a FFP again for the Sendero because I got a Brux barrel installed and want to do some 1250 yard shooting but maybe some hunting.

I have a Tikka T3x Superlite .30 06 that clover leafs 178 grain ELD-X handloads and is light and compact. That’s my primary hunting rifle here in TN.

madcalfe

WKR
I'm on my 2ns kahles k318i in a year and a half.
the first one the internals completely came apart after a month rendering it unusable, Swarovski gave me a new one instead of sending it in for warranty work. fast forward to this year a month before my stone sheep hunt. something came loose in my illumination dial and is coming off, cant turn it passed 4 and it locks up.
called swarovski sent in for warranty and there sending this one to Austria.... which I was informed I wont see it till sometime in October....
they have amazing glass, the FOV is rather lacking. The turrets are excellent and i don't think I've seen a single issue with tracking but after having 2 screw up in a short time I wouldn’t run them on a hunting rifle ever again. im moving on to a 4-16x42 actar.

Scope #2 illumination knob issues
2AE91EB8-93AB-4E27-971D-BDD5B2D7D963.jpeg
Scope #1 internals completely apart
1E4DE0CE-BBBD-458E-9592-E64CB406C31B.jpeg

OP
General RE LEE
I’m the OP and my sights are now on Mark 5HD or a Zeiss LRP S5 3-18x50. There is very little chatter about the Zeiss LRP but what is out there is good.

BTW I did own a Mk5HD before. The glass is sharp and clear but there is a significant amount of chromatic aberration on edges at higher powers. The takeaway is the glass is great for low light and function but it’s definitely not binocular glass.

I’m the OP and my sights are now on Mark 5HD or a Zeiss LRP S5 3-18x50. There is very little chatter about the Zeiss LRP but what is out there is good.

BTW I did own a Mk5HD before. The glass is sharp and clear but there is a significant amount of chromatic aberration on edges at higher powers. The takeaway is the glass is great for low light and function but it’s definitely not binocular glass.
You would love the LRP. It’s honestly absolutely phenomenal. Even with its tall turrets.